Constantine the Great
Theodosius the Great
Constantine the Great• Born in 272
• Died in 337
• He ruled from 306 to 337
• Major accomplishments: founded Constantinople, took control of the entire Rome, made the Edict of Milan, used his power to address the status of Christians, created solidus, made Christianity the official religion of the empire, moved the capital to Byzantium, created a new form of currency, reunited the Roman Empire.
Theodosius the Great• Born in 347
• Died in 395
• His time of ruling was from 379 to 395
• Major accomplishments: founded a dynasty, made Catholicism the official language, was the last emperor to rule the East and West.
Justinian I• Born in 483
• Died in 565
• His time of ruling was from 527 to 365
• Major accomplishments: created the Justinian code, built Hagia Sophia, supported Christianity, extended the Byzantine Empire, rebuild Constantinople with Justinian's Code, brought Constantinople back together, conquered land, supported the Orthodox Church.
Heraclius• Born in 575 (modern day Turkey)
• Died in 641 (Constantinople)
• He ruled from 610 CE to 641 CE
• Major accomplishments: recovered the eastern part, reorganized the empire, made Greek the official language, defeated the Persians.
Empress Irene• Born in 752
• Died in 803
• She ruled from 797 to 802
• Major accomplishments: restored the use of iconoclasm, recognized a saint in the Eastern Orthodox Church, ended the rebellion against Constantine.
Basil II• Born in 958
• Died in 1025
• His time of ruling was from 976 to 1025
• Major accomplishments: Re-conquered Greece from Samuel the Bulgar, payed the taxes of the poor, conquered the lands of Bulgaria and incorporated them into the empire, defeated Bardas Skleros and Bardas Phelps, crushed rebellions, Victory in Syria, brought Byzantium to it’s military zenith.
Empress Zoe• Born in 978 (modern day Turkey)
• Died in 1050
• Her time of ruling was from 1028 to 1050
• Major accomplishments: increased power of the senate, created their own coinage, stooped the ritos with her return, gained power.
Empress Theodora• Born in 980 in Constantinople (modern day Turkey)
• Died in 1056 in Constantinople
• She ruled from 1042 to 1056
• Major accomplishments: championed the rights of the women, helped Justinian I rule, created a law that prevented women of being forced into prostitution, and another that protected women from being taken advantage of in the event of divorce, fought for what she believed and for the women rights, empowered women, saved the Byzantine empire from collapse during the Nika Revolt.