Gcunionmemw fdthuvmv

Union Memorial UMC 1846-2011

By 4flora
  • Slavery Debate Ongoing in Methodist Church

    Slavery Debate Ongoing in Methodist Church
  • The 'Great Schism"at the 1844 General Conference

    The 'Great Schism"at the 1844 General Conference
    Methodism had finally experienced “The Great Schism” at the 1844 General Conference. By its vote on the Plan of Separation, it authorized Annual Conferences in slave holding states to separate from The Methodist Episcopal Church. The Plan of Separation was adopted, and the groundwork was laid for the creation of The Methodist Episcopal Church, South.
  • Church Formation

    Union Memorial is one of the four oldest black churches in Saint Louis. At the time of its formation in 1846, Rev. James Farrar, a local preacher, was the first pastor. The congregation worshipped on Broadway between Morgan Street (now Delmar) and Franklin Avenue, known as “Essex Alley”, in the home of a slave.
  • First Black Pastor- : F.S.W. Peck

    Important Role in the Development of Methodism in Missouri.
  • Purchased First Church 1008 Wash Street now Cole Street

    Known as " Lower Walsh" Dedicated as Wesley chapel in 1884
  • Rev. W.H.H. Brown sent to Wesley Chapel

    Rev. W.H.H. Brown was sent to Wesley Chapel in 1890. Methodism in Missouri and the name of W.H.H. Brown are synonymous. He served the church in almost every capacity with the greatest of credit, reflecting honor upon the church and himself.
  • Consolidation of Wesley Chapel and Elliott Ave. churches to become Centennial

    In 1899, Wesley Chapel and Elliott Avenue Churches consolidated, and Wesley Chapel was sold. Thereafter, both congregations worshipped at the Elliot Avenue Church, naming the merged churches "Centennial". The first pastor of Centennial was Rev. J. Will Jackson, D.D.
  • Named Changed to Union Memorial Church

  • Period: to

    Massive Growth

    The church really began to grow. During the World’s Fair in St. Louis in 1904, the capacity of the building was not adequate to accommodate the membership. So, larger, more convenient, and more comfortable quarters were sought.
  • Worlds Fair- Saint Louis

    Worlds Fair- Saint Louis
  • Purchased Temple Israel- Leffingwell Ave and Pine Street

    Purchased Temple Israel- Leffingwell Ave and Pine Street
    Union Memorial purchased Temple Israel, a Jewish Temple, on the corner of Leffingwell Avenue and Pine Street. Its members, led by Rev. Gillum, entered the Temple Israel edifice on July 28, 1907. This structure, regarded as the most expensive, finest, and imposing edifice of any “Colored Congregation” in the world, remained standing until 1963.
  • Church Debt Paid

  • Period: to

    Establishment of Six New Churches

  • First Black Bishop Appointed over the Black Conference

    First Black Bishop Appointed over the Black Conference
    Through the years, white Bishops presided over the Black Conference. In 1920, the first Black Bishop was elected, Matthew W. Clair, Sr. He served until his retirement in 1936. His first visit to Union was heralded with great pomp. He was given a large reception with hundreds of people in attendance.
  • Period: to

    Black Civil Rights Lunch Counter Boycotts

  • Race Riots in Fairground Park- Over Integration of Swimming Pool

    Race Riots in Fairground Park- Over Integration of Swimming Pool
  • Rev. Dr. John Hicks Appointed- Westward Expansion of Membership- Memeber of the West St. Louis Ecumenical Parish

    In 1959, he became the first member of the African-American race to be elected to the St. Louis Board of Education, and later served that organization as both vice-president and president.
  • Reverend John Doggett Civil Rights Movement

    Reverend John Doggett Civil Rights Movement
  • Cornerstone Laying of Present Church

    Cornerstone Laying of Present Church
    The Union Memorial United Methodist Church edifice is said to be the second largest “thin shell parabolic structure” of its kind in the United States.
  • Formation of the United Methodist Church

    Formation of the United Methodist Church
    Methodist Episopal Church and United Brethren Church
  • Mortgage Burning- Purchase of School Across Street

  • Period: to

    Growth- Fourth in Size in St. Louis urban district and Largest Membership in City of Saint Louis for UMC

    Under Dr. Mims’ leadership, Union Memorial witnessed new, revitalized and expanded ministries. As the largest African-American church in the Missouri East Conference, Union Memorial’s membership then stood at 1100. Union Memorial ranked fourth in size in the St. Louis Urban district of the United Methodist Church and first in size among United Methodist churches in the City of St. Louis.
  • Mission Station Begun

    Mission Station Begun
    In early 1998 Union Memorial started a mission station to serve persons on the south side of St. Louis (Union-Shaw Out Post Ministry) at Shaw United Methodist Church.
  • Period: to

    Split in Memebrship with appointment of new Pastor