• Church established

    The community that Union Chapel was located in was known as the ''Pettyjohn district." Horses and buggies were the principal means of travel. Mr. T. L. Wills, a member of First Christian Church in Lynchburg, and Mr. Charles Rickets and others of the community met and formed a church known as Union Chapel. The first church building was a one-roon log cabin. In one year the group had grown, and the log cabin was no longer adequate. A new one-room school building, which eventually housed seven grad
  • Decision to build new church

    At a meeting of a building committee held May 1 5, 1904 it was decided to build a new church building, to be located across the road from the school on land donated by Mr. Wills, who then served as Superintendent of the Sunday School at Wills Chapel.
  • Church built

    About 1906, Bro. H.D. Coffey, who now made his home in Lynchburg, and who was frequently connected with establishing new churches in the area, was invited to direct the new building project. As soon as the building was ready, Brother Coffey began a revival which extended a week. It helped to increase the membership to 55. Upon completion of the building, the name was then changed from ''WilIs Chapel'' to ''Union Christian chapel.
  • Period: to

    various ministers and meetings maybe twice a month

    Services became more regular in the new building and held once or twice a month, usually in the afternoon, Various ministers from other Christian churches assisted. Sometimes, during the winter months Sunday School and church services were dispensed with for a month or so, due to conditions of the road. The Rev. John L. McKinney was one of the first pastors of the church. The men of the church helped build a nice log cabin for him, and he lived in the neighborhood. Services were then held morni
  • Period: to

    preaching twice a month with visiting preachers

    During the late thirties and until 1946 the church had preaching twice a month. Dr. G. C. Looney, Pastor of Madison Heights Christian Church, who was also an eye physician, and Dr. R. W. Wallace from First Christian Church, Lynchburg, were frequent with their services and other area ministers served when possible. The late Mrs. Elizabeth R. Wilson was one of the key members of the church, serving as a leader, clerk, and pianist for over 40 years.
  • Irvin Mitchell, Lynchburg College teacher became pastor.

    In 1946 the Lynchburg Christian Laymen's Club became interested in helping the church have full-time preaching. They agreed to underwrite a salary of $100 each month, but this assistance was not needed. Arrangements were made to have Mr. Irvin Mitchell, a teacher at Lynchburg College, to become the regular pastor.
  • Dr. Hesalbeck assisted by students

    In September 1949, Dr. Fred Helsabeck, then Dean of Lynchburg College, was called as Pastor. He, with the assistance of college ministerial students, served very electively for five years. Students who assisted Dr. Helsabeck were Don Allen, Paul Shelton, Giles Lambert, Elwood Campbell, and Gene Lawhorne. Mr. Ernest Layne a layman at Euclid Christian Church, was chosen as music director. The church grew considerably, two new classrooms were added, children's program was started and missionary w
  • Period: to

    Interim student preachers

    During 1954-1968, Lynchburg College continued to supply the church with student pastors. A complete listing is not available, but a partial listing is as follows:

    John Whidden ,1954 through Aug 1955; E. C. Redmon July 1955 – Dec 1955; Donald Cassisy Jan 1956 – Sept 1957
    Larry Chambers Sept 1957- May 1958; Curtis Nunn May 1959 – Aug 1960; Allen G Manuel an 1961 – April 1963; L. Carlton Lyon June 1963 – July 1968.In addition, J. T. Watson served as interim Sept. 1958 - Apr. 1959.
  • moirgage for new church

    in 1961 a new church was built at a cost of approximately $2 1,000, with a mortgage of $12,000. The Reuben S. Garrett family donated additional land for this.
  • New Sanctuary

    Allen Manuel was student pastor at that time. When the new sanctuary was erected the name was again changed from ''Union Christian Chapel'' to Union Christian Church. Dedication services of the sanctuary were held in May 1963.
  • Period: to

    Mortgage burning!

    In December 1963, the church received a gift of $5,000 from a friend, Mr. S. C. Hurt, of Lynchburg. The gift enabled the church to pay off the mortgage. Mortgage burning and Homecoming service was held in June 1966.
  • Period: to

    Parsonage built

    Robert S. Tatlock served as interim from Sept. 1968 to December 31, 1969. During 1969 it was decided to build a parsonage and call a full-time minister, Once again this was a decision motivated by "faith'', as at that time the church did not have half of its budget underwritten. The land for the parsonage was purchased from the Reuben S. Garrett estate for $700. The parsonage was completed in January 1970 at a cost of $19,500 with a mortgage of $14,250.
  • Period: to

    First full time pastore W. Murrell Stump, Jr

    Attendance and offerings were doubled. Mission giving increased from $400 in 1969 to over $4,000 in 1975.The budget of the church increased from $5,527 in 1970 to $23,564 in 1975.
    In 1970 the church was No. 1 in Virginia for outreach giving. Total to missions was $33,400 for the 5 year period.
    A bell tower was dedicated in 1972 (given by Stephen C. Hurt).Fellowship hall and Sunday School rooms added. The Reuben S. Garrett estate donated additionl land for parking lot and cemetery.
  • Period: to

    Baptistry and stained glass windows added

    W. M. Stump, now retired, served as interim from 1977 to 1980. During this time a baptistery was installed and stained glass windows were given in memory or honor of someone.
  • Period: to

    Dennis E. Reynolds served as pastor

    Dennis E. Reynolds was called as Pastor in April 1980. He had a radio ministry, in 1981 a church van was purchased, youth groups were started, and membership grew considerably. Dennis was instrumental in obtaining the services of our second Choir Director, Linda Wright, a member of Fairview Christian. She served us well for 18 years. Also, in 1985 the church purchased 5.14 acres on the comer of Rt. 130 and Rt. 685, for $18,000, for a future church. Dennis served from April 1980 through Dec. 1986
  • Period: to

    Interim pastors during this time

    Dr. Donald W. Weaver served as minister from November 1989 to September 30, 1996. Several supply pastors served following this, including Dr. Joe Detamore who served as interim during this period.
    Dr. Charles R. Hughes, from Liberty University, served as Pastor from July 1998 to June 2000.
    In Nov. 1999, Dr. Ronald W. Smith, was called as interim.
  • Period: to

    Dr. Ronald W. Smith pastorate

    In May of 2001 it was decided to retain him as Pastor. He presently serves four days a week, spending three days at his home in Roanoke.
    Our church attendance is growing. We have hired our first paid Youth Director, Jeremy Woody, a student at Liberty University and he is giving us 15 to 20 hours per week. Mrs. Betty McKinney is serving as our present Choir Director.