Thriller Project

  • Period: to

    Thriller Project

  • Thriller Research

    We researched various thrillers, such as Se7en, Memento, and Collateral to give us an idea of the conventions of a thriller film.
    We studied three opening title sequences which we then analysed and put into a later presentation. Analysing the opening title sequences was useful because it gave us ideas for our own OTS.
  • more research

    We learnt about mise-en-scene, cinematography, camera angles and shots, which we put into a thriller conventions presentation.
  • Forming preliminary groups and filming

    We were put into prelim groups and then began filming the exercise. The filming exercise was a basic introduction to the concept of continuity filming, we learnt about the 180 rule, shot-reverse-shot and match on action which we used later in our OTS filming.
  • Prelim filming - continuity exercise

    The prelim exercise helped us to see how continuity filming worked 'practically', and after doing it for ourselves we really learnt what shots to use and where to position the camera from a different angle. Seeing it edited together also helped us to understand as we could compare the end product with the shots we had filmed earlier.
  • Forming groups and planning our opening title sequence

    We stayed in the same group from the preliminary exercise. We discussed our individual OTS ideas and began planning our storyline. When we began planning, it was more of a discussion of story ideas rather than with a filmmaker's eye, however as soon as we had decided on a storyline we began to plan our shots and mise-en-scene.
  • Planning for OTS

    Our planning research I.E storyboard, shot list, costume and prop ideas were extremely useful, without it it would have been much harder to get a sense of how the scenes would pan out and look like,
    Our shot list was ultimately the most important part of our planning as we depended on it to get through the filming swiftly and even gave us more shot ideas on the filming day as we knew what could be edited continously into the scenes.
  • Filming day

    After a few weeks of planning we began filming.
  • Editing

    Editing our OTS was a great deal harder than the preliminary exercise. This was because the preliminary editing was far more straightforward because it flowed in one series of events, one after the other, as it was only following the characters actions. The OTS had a series of flashbacks which needed to be edited in and interspersed throughout the entire OTS, however as we learnt continuity filming practically it was much easier to edit the 'normal' scenes with virtually no problems.
  • Reshoot

    We had to film again due to time constraints caused by various problems we had in the morning of the first shoot, which meant we only got one scene done and therefore had to finish the rest of the shoot on the 10th of December. The issues we experienced when reshooting again were that the sun went in halfway through our filming time, meaning that the second half of the shoot did not match the first because of bad lighting.
  • Reshoot 2

    We had to reshoot a second time because of problems in our first reshoot, which were that the second half of the film didn't match the first half. There were no issues reshooting this time.

    Animus - OTS We used the 180 rule in one scene, match on action for the badge but no shot-reverse-shot as there was no dialogue between any characters.
    We were really happy with the end product.