Evaluation Question 7

  • Period: to

    Thriller Research and Planning

  • Began Thriller Research

    In class we began researching the Thriller genre. We watched various Opening Title sequence and amalysed different aspects, whilst learning about narrative conventions of Thriller films
  • Formed Production Groups for Preliminary Exercise

    In our prelim group we were given a brief outline of what the test film had to include. In a group after deciding the path of the film we delegated jobs; creating a shot list, storyboard and camera position map.
  • Filming the Preliminary Exercise

    In our group of 3, we divided up the directing, acting and filming roles.
    The director was in charge of making sure the exercise ran smoothly; that other members were doing things correctly. This meant being aware of the 180 degree rule at all times, and ensuring all the shots were completed. The cameraman also needed to be aware of the 180 degree rule, and in addition had to ensure the shots could be effectively edited with 'shot reverse shot' and 'match on action'.
  • Evaluating the Prelim

    Looking back over the footage, it was clear to see the complexities with filming and editing.
    Individuals in the group were better at certain aspects of production than others, for example filming was much more technical than initially anticipated as there was various things to be aware of. Thererfore we realised the role of director was essential in managing the shot list. As a group we needed to remember to reset the white balance, exposure and focus at new locations.
  • Initial Opening Title Sequence planning

    we were arranged into new groups, based on our strengths and weaknesses, so that as a group we were compatibale to complete all aspects of constructing the opening titles. After watching various openings of Thrillers, and identifying key genre conventions we decided on the sub genre of a Crime Thriller. After close textual analysis of 'Se7en', we decided close ups and an abtract style was something we wanted to replicate.
  • Recce Day

    We met for a couple of hours at our intended location of Brighton Library. Here we were able to see if all the desired shots we had envisaged were possible, and what complications came with this. We enquired within the library about filming regulations and managed to arrange a time to film when the library was closed to the public.
  • Planning the Filming Day

    Because of the initial prelim exercise, we were aware of the need to thoroughly compile a shot/ prop list and a time schedule so that the day ran efficiently.
    We allowed for varying weather conditions and lighting, by timing indoor locations later in the day as they were less dependant on outdoor conditions.
  • Filming Day

    The filming day was very successful due to the amount of planning beforehand. We were able to feel confident and ambitious with our filming as we had a schedule of filming. The prelim had highlighted the importance of maintaining correct white balance and exposure. Because of our knowledge on the Thriller genre we were able to film spontaneous shots we felt would enhance the OTS.
  • Reviewing the Filming Day

    When reviewing the footage we had managed to achieve all of the shots we scheduled. However some shots within a location we hadn't previously visited before filming, weren't successful as they hadn't been well planned. The library location was highly effective as we had arranged a time when it was closed, therefore we had free reign to complete everything without pressure.
  • Choosing footage for a Rough Cut of the Opening Title Sequence.

    After reviewing the footage, we cut it down to fit within the time brackets. To do this we chose the most successful takes of each shot, taking into consideration the 180 degree rule and match on action. In this review it was interesting to see how accurate you have to be when taking multiple takes of a shot as the smallest change can effect the quality of continuity editing. We used shot reverse shot in our OTS, to simulate changing perpectives, and also used cloe ups to hide identities.
  • Editing our Opening Title Sequence

    Editing our final Opening Title Sequence was more challenging then the preliminary exercise, as we had to include complex edit points and edit techniques. It was however simpler to do, because in planing our OTS we had decided edit points and allowed extra footage for cutting. We experimented with different editing techniques as we had more techonologies availiable to use; for example we recorded foley radio reports and the close up spinning coin, to add in post production.
  • Comparing the Preliminary exercise with the Final OTS

    Over the coursework period, my knowledge and skills in creating a media product have evolved massively. Initially when viewing movie's opening title sequences i was unable to identify certain aspects and shot types. Furthermore now I am able to identify the effect certain editing techniques have, and how mise en scene effects the audience.