PrologueElijah and Xavier hunting at age 12; giving background on two of the three primary characters.
Chapter TwoXavier's point of view; Remeniscing memories of the war:
- Injects morphine needle.
- Begins explaining arrival on Flander's fields.
- Introduces squadron; Lt. Breech, Sgt. McCaan, Fats, Sean Patrick and Grey Eyes.
- New soldiers arriving in Canadian camp are shunned by veteran; Xavier meets Smithy, a sniper that accepts Xavier even for his native roots.
Chapter ThreeXavier's point of view:
- Xavier and Elijah's squadron arrives at the trenches.
- Introduces technology and surroundings; Ross rifles/Shields used by snipers, Periscopes, Duckboards, Different artillery shells.
- Meet Cpl. Thompson, Graves and Gilberto.
- Elijah and Xavier go on mission in no man's land.
- Xavier realizes the realities of war when he nearly gets shot.
Chapter Four (part one)Niska's point of view:
- Xavier is struggling with his morphine addiction and meories of the war.
- Niska begins telling the story of her youth; using story telling as a form of healing.
- Introduced to Rabbit (Xavier's mother) aswell as Niska's mother.
- Niska has inherited her fathers ability to predict the future.
- Rough winter, Clan of roughly 30 is going hungry; reluctantly eat adolescent bear; Niska's father insists it is their only option.
Chapter Four (part two)
Chapter FiveXavier's point of view:
- Xavier asks Niskah to stop paddling as he tells the story associated with the area.
- His story is about his and Elijah's journey to go volunteer for the Canadian army where they were caught in a forest fire.
-- Learn more about Elijah:
-- Elijah was very talented, fluent with the English language, a good shot with a rifle and naturally competitive with Xavier.
-- Xavier felt that it was his duty to take care of Elijah due to having more experience.
Chapter SixXavier's point of view;
- German raiding party attacks through the night.
- Gerald, a young soldier is executed for falling asleep on sentry duty.
- Xavier and Elijah are sent as part of a raiding party to scout out the large craters in No Man's land.
-- Party includes: Xavier, Elijah, Thompson and Graves
- They stay the night in the crater
- Xavier and Elijah kill their first germans in the morning; lobbing grenades into the neighboring crater.
- Xavier and Elijah are beginning to gain respect.
Chapter SevenXavier's point of view;
- Xavier and Elijah begin training as snipers.
- Xavier dreams of home.
- Xavier spots for Elijah when Elijah gets his first sniper kill.
- Grey Eye's tempts Elijah with Morphine, He refuses, yet Xavier has a hunch that Elijah is hiding something.
Chapter Eight: CaptiveNiska's point of view
- She and her family were forced to move into Moose Factory and become dependant on the white man
- Niska's anger over her fathers death grows
- Shows the effects that residential schools had on first nations people
- Niska is forced into a residential school
-- She is treated harshly but picks her battles wisely
-- Shears her hair in defiance of the nuns
- Confined to the basement where she foresees her trip with Xavier
- Saved by her mother, they move back into the woods
Chapter Nine: CompetitionXaviers point of view:
- Xavier and Elijah are becoming well known among the ranks as accomplished snipers.
- Their successes are drawing attetion from german artillery fire; other soldiers do not want them around.
- Xavier is happy to be out of the trenches.
- Xavier wins a shooting competition betweem himself, Elijah and another soldier by lighting a match with a bullet.
Chapter Ten: SniperElijah's point of view:
- Sean Patrick is killed; Xavier and Elijah are ordered to seek out revenge.
- Xavier and Elijah show their true Cree heritage during the burial.
- Learn about a particular german sniper causing grief on allied fronts.
- Xavier and Elijah are sent out to eliminate opposing german snipers.
Chapter Eleven: Revenge (part one)Xavier's point of view:
- They have eliminated a single german sniper so far but the infamous "hun sniper" who killed Sean Patrick is still out there.
- Elijah basks the fame while Xavier keeps his eyes on the job at hand.
- During the night Xavier has an epiphany regarding the Hun snipers location.
- Elijah confesses about his experimenting of morphine with grey eyes but claims it was a one-time thing.
Chapter Eleven: Revenge (part two)
Chapter Twelve: SeducingNiska's point of view:
- Niska's inherited power has become known by other Cree inhabiting the woods; they come seeking advice.
- Niska traps a french hunter.
- She proceeds to seduce him and have her first sexual experience.
Chapter Thirteen: RifleXavier's point of view:
Chapter Fourteen: Raid (part one)Xavier's point of view
- Raid is successful, Elijah is wounded.
-- Elijah rushed a machine gun placement, got injured; Xavier finished off the machine gun nest and pulled Elijah back to the trench safely.
-- Even after this there is talk of a reward for Elijah, not Xavier.
- Learned about Xavier's childhood.
-- He barely knew his mother, Rabbit.
-- He was taken into a residental school.
-- Elijah became his only real friend.
- Xavier can tell Elijah has adopted an addiction to morphine.
Chapter Fourteen: Raid (part two)
Chapter Fifteen: Betrayal (part one)Niska's point of view:
- Niska has fallen in love with the french trapper.
- The french trapper stopped visiting Niska, she feels betrayed.
- Niska's mother convinces her to pursue him.
- She goes into town to find him, when she returns, she is not returning to open hands.
- Niska finds the trapper, who takes her to a church where they have sex.
- The trapper is convinced he has destroyed her spirit. He says “I took your power away in this place and sent it to burn in hell where it belongs.”
Chapter Fifiteen: Betrayal (part two)
Chapter Sixteen: Horses (part one)Xavier's point of view:
- Xavier only has a few morphine shots left.
- He no longer hides the truth from Niska.
Back to the war:
- Xavier and Elijah's unit has moved south to join the battle of Somme.
- Elijah is still recieving all of the fame and glory while Xavier remains hidden and puzzled as to why this is the case since they are a team.
- a leaning statue of Virgin Mary acts as a symbol; indicating that the Allies will no bend under german artillery.
Chapter Sicteen: Horses (part two)
Chapter Seventeen: Collector
Chapter 18: SkinningXaviers point of view:
- Xavier and Elijah are sent behind lines during Christmas.
- They meet a group of french soldiers, they advise Elijah to start collecting scalps of any germans he may kill.
- After Chistmas passes, their unit is sent to Vimy Ridge.
- Xavier and Elijah are allowed to go "hunting" again.
- Canadians who seem inspired by the cold begin attacking german lines.
- Elijah joins in a raid where he claims numerous german scalps.
- He fights his morphine addiction.
Chapter Nineteen: Stealing (part one)Niska's point of view:
- Niska's mother died after the incident with the french trapper.
- Her sister, Rabbit, became an alcoholic and gave up her son, Xavier, to a residential school.
- She keeps having visions of a boy (Xavier) who she sets out to rescue.
- Hiding by the playground, Niska calls him over with a grouse call. He agrees to the rescue without hesitation.
- The next day, Niska surprises the nun in a canoe with Xavier by pushing her into the water.
Chapter Nineteen: Stealing (part two)
Chapter Twenty: Fighter (part one)Elijah and Xavier in the residential school:
- Elijah plans to steal a little food everyday until they have enough to escape with.
- Elijah knows of a rifle kept by one of the nuns. Vimy Ridge:
- Xavier comes to terms with killing.
- Xavier has run out of Mauser bullets and has resorted to spotting for Elijah.
- They are ordered back into no man's land to eliminate german MG positions in preparation for a Canadian operation.
- Elijah finds two Mauser magazines for Xavier.
Chapter Twenty: Fighter (part two)
Chapter 21: Turning (part one)Xavier's point of view:
- They have successfully taken Vimy Ridge
- Xavier, Elijah, Fat, Graves and Grey Eyes are the only remaining original privates.
- Xavier has another moment; wondering why Elijah is getting all of the fame and he remains unknown.
- Infront of the squadron; Elijah attempts to shoot and misses and duck swimming in a nearby creek; Xavier takes his shot and kills the duck, the squad looks at him in awe as he walks away.
- Xavier becomes home sick
- He plans to go visit Lisette
Chapter 21: Turning (part two)
Chapter 21: Turning (part three)
Capter 22: Windigo KillerNiska's point of view:
- She finds hope when Xavier laughs when she tells him about the time she smacked the nun with a paddle to rescue him from the residential school.
- Niska tells a story of another camp having a man go windigo, Xavier was there but very young at the time.
- Niska strangles the Windigo to death.
- Xavier had witnessed everything.
- Upon their return, Xavier asked for a friend (who would be Elijah)
- Elijah had stolen a rifle from a nun
- Both of them excelled as marksmen.
Chapter 23: Snaring (part one)Xavier's point of view:
- Xavier only has enough morphine to last him another day.
- He is wondering what became of Elijah.
- We learn about details of Elijah from a personal point of view; how he became addicted to morphine and mad with killing.
- In a battle at the town of lens, Graves is killed by a german flame thrower.
- The whole group is nearly killed by a single grenade.
Chapter 23: Snaring (part two)
Chapter 24: WritingNiska's point of view:
- Xavier warns Niska that he has almost run out of morphine.
-- He says he will become very difficult; like a child; when this happens.
- Gives a brief summary of Elijah and Xavier as young men and their enlistment for the war.
-- They had difficulties due to their Native heritage.
Chapter 25: FeedingXavier's point of view:
- Riding in the back of a Lorrie towards paschendale.
- sent into the crombling city as scouts.
- Elijah shoots a child by mistake.
- The battle in paschendale is won within months.
- Xavier is losing his hearing, he plays it off as not understanding english.
Chapter 26: The LetterXavier's point of view:
- Elijah meets with the french men during Crhistmas, they seem nervous around him when he shows them his scalps.
- Xavier and his squad walk into a German trap.
- McCaan and Tompson are killed.
- Xavier recieves a letter saying that his aunt has passed away.
- Elijah asks Xavier to "read" the shoulder blade of a german.
- Xavier attempts to kill Elijah with an overdose of morphine.
Chapter 27: FlyingXavier's point of view:
- Xavier uses his last needle of morphine.
- Elijah is awarded a medallion for his accomplishments in the war; like always, Xavier remains unknown.
- Elijah's wishes are granted and he is put in a plane with another pilot.
- his experience is unpleasant; suffuring from vertigo, and popping ears.
Chapter 28: Murder
Chapter 29: HeroXavier's point of view:
- Xavier begins going through the process of quitting morphine cold turkey.
- Xavier begins flashing back and forth between the past and the present.
- They spend their remaining days in Europe liberating villages.
- Elijah explains that he realizes that he had gone of the deep end for awhile and claims that e has returned.
- Xavier discovers that his hearing loss could buy him a ride home.
Chapter 30: Little Bird DancerNiska's point of view:
- Xavier is fading.
- Niska is doing everything she can to nirture him to health.
- She sleeps with him to join his dream to find that in his nightmares he is running from Elijah.
Chapter 31: DyingXavier's point of view:
- Xavier's squad has been caught in no man's land my a german michine gun position.
- Xavier strangles Elijah to death.
- Xavier is going between the past, present and dreams; it is hard to tell what is real at this point.
Chapter 32: HomeNiska's point of view:
- Niska is waiting for Xavier to return to her.
- She remembers when they left to join the war.
- She is conducting a ceremony of cleansing to help Xavier.
- Using her gift, she witnesses his dreams and learns what happened over seas.
- Xavier begs for forgiveness for what he has done.
- He has began the road of recovery.
- They will be home in one more day.