Jan 1, 1533
Ivan the terrible-Was Grand Prince of Moscow.
-He transformed Russia into a multi ethnic and multiconfessional state.
- Changed the medieval state to an empire and emerging regional power, became the first ruler to be crowned as Tsar of all Russia.
-Was intelligent and devout, but with mental illness.
-Ivan died from a stroke while playing chess with Bogdan Belsky on 28 March 1584. Upon Ivan's death, the kingdom was left to Feodor, he died childless in 1598, ushering in the Time of Troubles.
Romanov Dynasty-House of Holstein-Gottorp-Romanov.
- Second and last imperial dynasty until February Revolution in 1917.
-The family fortunes increased when Roman's daughter, Anastasia Zakharyina, married Ivan IV in February 1547.
-She died very mysteriously in 1560, Ivan, suspecting the boyars of having poisoned his wife, started a reign of terror against them.
-Throughout Feodor's was the youngest son of Ivan and when his father died he took the power.
Peter the great
Catherine the Great-Was the most famous and the longest-ruling female of Russia.
-Came to power following a coup d'état and the assassination of her husband, Peter III, at the end of the Seven Years' War.
-Russia was revitalised under her reign, growing larger and stronger than ever and becoming recognised as one of the great powers of Europe.
-She governed at a time when the Russian Empire was expanding rapidly by conquest and diplomacy.
-Her eldest grandson Alexander became the king in her dead in 1796.
Russian Revolution-Series of revolutions in Russia that led to the creation of the Soviet Union and ended Tsarist autocracy by replaccing it with a provisional government in the first revolution.
- In the second revolution the this government was replaced with a Communist government.
-Russia’s liberals, although populists, Marxists, and anarchists claimed to support democratic reforms
- A opposition movement had begun to challenge the Romanov monarchy.
- Laders: Vladimir Lenin, Nicholas II, Alexander Kerensky
Leon Trotsky-Was a Russian Marxist revolutionary and theorist, Soviet politician, and the founder and first leader of the Red Army.
- Was initially a supporter of the Russian Social Democratic Labour Party.
-Was a major figure in the Bolshevik victory in the Russian Civil War
Vladimir Lenin-Was a Russian communist revolutionary, politician and political theorist who helped in the Soviet Union in1922
- A Marxist, his ideas on revolutionary theory became known by others as Leninism, which later developed into the political theory of Marxism–Leninism.
- Leader of the Bolshevik faction of the Russian Social Democratic Labour Party
-led the Russian Provisional Government and the establishment of the Russian Socialist Federative Soviet Republic.
- Implemented socialist reforms
Start of the soviet Union
Joseph Stalin-Was the Premier of the Soviet Union from 6 May 1941 until his death in 5 March 1953.
-Stalin held the position of General Secretary of the party's Central Committee he used it to consolidate more power after Vladimir Lenin.
-He killed Leon Trotsky to gain power,Trotsky defended world permanent revolution and the socialism in one country of Stalin became primary policy of the Soviet Union.
- Stalin led the USSR until his dead in 1953 during the period of post-war.
-Soviet nuclear program
End of Soviet Union