Tiritiri matangi timeline

  • the maori left the island

    the maori left the island
  • 1854 European farming has began. Tiritiri Matangi is cleared by fire for crops by this.

    by fire for crops by this.
  • Lighthouse built in England and gathered at the island

  • light start to work

  • burn offs stopped for saftey resons

  • island burn-off starts again

  • 1971

    Farming lease ran out. Stock removed. Hauraki Gulf
    Maritime Park Board now in charge. Dr John Craig and Dr
    Neil Mitchell bring university students to study bellbird,
    tui, kiore and revegetation.
  • 1974

    First of the red-crowned parakeets came.
  • Seeds gathered from surviving trees on the island or the

    nearest source. Funding from WWF, Fisher & Paykel, ASB and John Logan Trust ($40,000). Plant nursery built.
  • First of the saddlebacks came.

  • 1984 – 94

    Trees are grown from seed and planted by volunteers.
    Only 60 percent of Tiritiri Matangi planted to allow for
    species that prefer open habitats and to allow access for
  • First of the brown teal ducks came.

  • 1988

    Whiteheads fi rst came.
    Supporters of Tiritiri Matangi formed following an idea by
    Jim and Barbara Battersby.
    Wharf road rebuilt.
  • Takahe first came

  • First of the North Island robins.

  • llllllll

  • First of the little spotted kiwi came.