GWCA, Inc. “Lifting As We Climb”

  • 1989 mrs. e. lindsey davis, 1st president, cwac

    The idea of a Community Center in Peoria Illinois was conceived in 1922 by a group of outstanding and progressive women under the banner of the COLORED WOMEN'S AID CLUB who had the foresight to realize that something must be done for the youth in the "under-the-bluff" area of the city, with regard to the molding of character, improvement of moral standards, development of a desire for higher education, and to give them a recreational outlet for their pent-up energies and emotions.
  • George Washington Carver with fellow faculty of Tuskegee Institute c, 1902

    George Washington Carver with fellow faculty of Tuskegee Institute c, 1902
  • 1914 -1918 World War I

  • Mrs. Sarah Shepard

    1922 – 1923 mrs. Sarah Shepard promotes cwaccc – cwac rent/purchase 108 globe street for cwaccc Mrs. Sarah Shepard, Colored Women’s Aid Club President, conducted a welfare program to tell the public of the need and function of this new organization. This program continued through December 1923.
  • Historical Sites of CC 1922-1937-1943

    Historical Sites of CC 1922-1937-1943
  • 1922 CWAC acquire site at 108 Globe Street

    1922 CWAC acquire site at 108 Globe Street
    The Colored Women’s Aid Club purchased a 7 room house at 108 Globe Street, and remodeled it for use as a Center.
  • 1924 - 1938 Mrs. Nora Stanford Houston, cwac director

    1924 - 1938 Mrs. Nora Stanford Houston, cwac director
  • 1937 CWAC acquire site at 1010 Sanford Street

    1937 CWAC acquire site at 1010 Sanford Street
    Colored Women’s Aid Club (mrs. floyd reeves, p) realizing the need for larger quarters, purchased a 9 room brick building at 1010 Sanford Street, with space for a playground.
  • 1939 CWAC Board of Directors Installed

    Colored Women’s Aid Club decided in 1939 to turn over operation of the Center to a Board of Directors chosen from the Citizens of the Community-at-large.
  • 1939 - 1945 World War Il

  • 1943 CWAC acqquire present site at North Richard Pryor, and West Third Street

    1943 CWAC acqquire present site at North Richard Pryor, and West Third Street
    Mr. E. E. Atwell of the National Recreation Association was invited to come to Peoria to assist with the financial drive, which ended with the purchase of the present site at North Richard Pryor, and West Third Street.
  • 1943 – 1948 Nora Stanford Houston, board member

    1943 – 1948 Nora Stanford Houston, board member
  • GWCA Incorporated

    After formation of GWCA Incorporated, a Board of Directors was chosen to direct and guide the work and activities of the institution. In January of 1944, the first full-time Director and Staff were assigned the responsibility of developing and maintaining recreational services in the new location.
  • 1944 – 1966 henry m harper, 1st e/d of gwca 1944 – 1966 frank campbell, co-e/d

    1944 – 1966 henry m harper, 1st e/d of gwca 1944 – 1966 frank campbell, co-e/d
  • 1944 dr maude sanders arrives in peoria

     1944 dr maude sanders arrives in peoria
  • 1949 Clarence Laudric Shivers completes 'the pursuit of freedom' mural

    1949 Clarence Laudric Shivers completes 'the pursuit of freedom' mural
    Restored by jaci willis, bradley university, in july 2013
  • 1949 ~1963 juliette whittaker teaches at gwccc

    1949 ~1963 juliette whittaker teaches at gwccc
  • 1950 - 1953 Korean War

  • 1955 - 1957 Richard Pryor student of miss whittaker

  • Houses purchased in 1956 for building expansion

    Houses purchased in 1956 for building expansion
  • 1956 GWCC Expansion

    1956 GWCC Expansion
  • GWCC Community Map

    GWCC Community Map
  • Carver expands Human Service Programs.

    In 1965 the Chest and Council United Way developed a Task Force, chaired by Judge Morgan, to study programs, projects and activities of its member agencies. Recommendations relating to Carver Center strongly stated that Carver de-emphasize it’s focus on recreation and research the possibility of expanding Human Service Programs.
  • Carver Day Care Center became a reality

    Erma M. Davis, a member of the Central Illinois United Methodist Church Conference “Reconciliation Committee” designed to raise and allocate funds to inner-city projects within the conference, presented a proposal requesting $10,000 be used as “seed money” to establish a year round Day Care Center at Carver. Sister Cor Marie solicited $4,000 from the Peoria Catholic Diocese. As a result of both efforts, Carver Day Care Center became a reality in the fall of 1969.
  • Carver Clinic opened

    Carver Clinic opened
    Positive networking between Methodist Medical and Carver Center produced relationship now referred to as a Long Lasting Marriage, that began and opened “Carver Clinic” in July of 1970. Initially, area physicians donated their time to the Clinic. A group of 29 physicians responded to the call and scheduled time to see patients at the clinic every three to four weeks.
  • 1971 – 1994 mrs. erma m davis, e/d?

    1971 – 1994 mrs. erma m davis, e/d?
  • Carver Clinic renamed Carver Family Health Center

    Expanded dental and optometry services were added and the name was changed from Carver Clinic to Carver Family Health Center.
  • New 4,000 square foot building dedicated

    Increasing statistics and overcrowding conditions motivated Erma M. Davis to draft a proposal to Methodist Medical Center’s President and CEO, James K. Knoble, requesting funds to build a new medical facility. $320,000 was approved in October of 1988, and the new 4,000 square foot building was dedicated June 1, 1989.
  • City council transfers property at Second and Sheridan to Carver

    The City council on July 17, 1991 voted to transfer at almost no cost land it is buying in Southtown for $100,000 to Carver Community Center for its expansion project. The council voted unanimously to transfer the property at Second and Sheridan to Carver for $1 and legal and title costs to save the center extra costs in its project, which is already estimated to cost $250,000.
  • 1994 – 2008 percy baker jr, e/d

     1994 – 2008 percy baker jr, e/d
    ... 1978 - 2008 percy baker jr on staff ...
  • GWCCC

    GWCCC
  • GWCCC Expansion Victory Celebration

    GWCCC Expansion Victory Celebration
  • GWCCC

    GWCCC
  • 2nd computer lab opens

    Another community computer lab opened at the George Washington Carver Center.
  • 2008 – 2011 R Pete Thomas, ie/d

  • West 3rd Avenue rename to Percy Baker Jr. Avenue

    In January 2010, the Peoria Park Board voted unanimous on its resolution to . The Resolution was dedicated to his 32 years of service to the Carver Center.
  • Carver Center looses United Way funding

    Carver Center looses United Way funding
    In May 2010, for its child care center and youth program, two of its cornerstone programs.
  • George Washington Carver Center closed indefinitely

    On Sept. 2 2011 George Washington Carver Center closed indefinitely to allow time to reorganize and restructure operations.
  • Peoria City Council voted on $165,000 in upgrades

    In April 2012, a town hall discussion on Southtown tax increment financing projects centered on the future of George Washington Carver Center; including a $115,000 roof paid for with Southtown TIF funds.
  • $1.5 Million renovation of GWCC begins

    $1.5 Million renovation of GWCC begins
    IMAGE: Main entrance looking east.
  • Peoria Zoning Commission approved establishment of a farmers’ market at GWCC

  • Grand reopening of GWCCC

    Grand reopening of GWCCC
    On July 26, 2013 GWCA, Inc. host the grand reopening of GWCC.
  • Grand reopening of GWCCC

    Grand reopening of GWCCC
  • Grand reopening of GWCCC

    Grand reopening of GWCCC
  • Grand reopening of GWCCC

    Grand reopening of GWCCC
  • kenneth hinton, ie/d

    kenneth hinton, ie/d
    Journal Star reports Ken Hinton returned in June 2014 as volunteer interim director of GWCA, along with a new board of directors and a team of volunteers intent on saving the venerable community center from financial breakdown for the second time in three years.
  • President Bashir Ali and the new Board of Directors meet

    President Bashir Ali and the new Board of Directors meet
    On August 11, 2014 President Bashir Ali and the new Board of Directors attend an orientation meeting at GWCC.
  • 2016 - 2017 kenneth hinton, e/d?

    2016 - 2017 kenneth hinton, e/d?