Galway - Dublin rail Line

Timeline created by cathaloc
  • Heuston Station

    Heuston Station
  • Hazelhatch

    Hazelhatch
    Hazelhatch Station was opened in 1846. The building of the station was funded by Great Southern and Western Railway. The architect who designed the station was called Sancton Wood. He had previously won the competition to design Heuston Station (which was then called King’s Bridge). Hazelhatch was designed in an Elizabethan style.
    The early trains came in from Liverpool and Manchester, but they started building them in Inchicore in the 1850’s. The Station originally went to Carlow
  • Newbridge

  • kildare

    kildare
    Kildare railway station was opened in 1846 It is a detached eight bay tudor- style building designed by Sir John mc Neill. The building, which is well maintained, retains its original form and character. It has many interesting gables ,tall slender chimney stacks and cut granite dressings. It was built by local stonemasons. It has slate roofs and cast-iron rainwater pipes. The side of the building facing the platform is much different .It is built of Flemish red brick on cut–granite plinth.
  • Portarlington

    Portarlington
  • Monasterevin

  • Athlone

  • Ballinasloe

  • Athenry

  • Galway

    Galway
    Galway railway station is called Ceannt Station (Stáisiún Cheannt). The station is located in the centre of Galway city and was opened on 1st August 1951.

    It was given the name Ceannt on April 10th 1966 in commemoration of Éamonn Ceannt, one of the executed leaders of the Easter Rising of 1916.

    Galway station is to be redeveloped in the near future, as part of the Ceannt Station Quarter project.
  • Tullamore

    Tullamore
    Tullamore got its first train station in 1854. The station was built by The Great Southern Railway company and served Dublin via Portarlington. This station was located in Clonminch, a mile from the centre of the town. In 1858, a new railway line was built connecting Tullamore to Clara and Athlone. in 1865 a new station was built to replace the one at Clonminch as people were complaining of the distance of the station from the town centre. This new station was built on Charleville Rd
  • Woodlawn

  • Clara

  • Naas

  • Attymon

    Attymon
    Stáisiún Áth Tíomáin serves the town land of Attymon in County Galway. It is the smallest station on the Dublin-Galway line consisting of a single platform with no signaling system or waiting room. The building at the station is boarded up and used as a store for line maintenance crew. The station used to link the Dublin-Galway line with a branch line to Loughrea but this has been removed, the line having closed in 1975. A former railway preservation group called Westrail had hoped to reopen it