Dublin Walking Tour - Building Dates

  • Royal Hospital Kilmainham

    The Royal Hospital Kilaminham was built in 1684 and was used as a home for retired soldiers for over 250 years.
  • Áras an Úachtaráin

    THe home of the President of Ireland was built in 1751. It was used as the summer house of The Lord Lieutenant of Ireland by the British until 1922. The first President of Ireland Douglas Hyde moved in here in 1938. Today our President Mary McAleese lives in a part of the house that was built on in 1911.
  • Grand Canal

    The Grand Canal connects the river Shannon with Dublin. The last working barge on the canal was in 1960. It was used for carrying goods and animals across the country.
  • Kilmainham Gaol

    This former Gaol was built in 1796. The British held and executed the leaders of the 1916 rising here. Cells were cold, dark and overcrowded. Men, women and children as young as 7 were imprisoned in Kilmainham.
  • Dublin Zoo

    The Zoo was opened in 1831 and covers 59 acres of the Phoenix Park. It welcomes over 1 million visitors a year. It is divided into areas named World of Cats, World of Primates, The Kaziranga Forest trail, Fringes of the Artic, African Plains, Birds, Reptiles, Plants, City Farms and Endangered Species.
  • Heuston Station

    Heuston Train station, the biggest in the country, serves the south, south-west and west of Ireland. It is operated by Iarnród Eireann. It opened in 1846 and used to be called Kingsbridge station after the nearby bridge over the Liffey. It was renamed in 1966 after Sean Heuston, a leader in the 1916 rising.
  • Wellington Memorial

    This was finished being built in 1861 and was built to commemorate the victories of Arthur Wellesley, the 1st Duke of Wellington. It is 62 metres tall making it the largest obelisk in Europe and the second largest in the world after the Washington monument in the USA.
  • Our Lady of Good Counsel National School

    The school in Drimnagh was opened in 1943. It had 3,800 pupils - one of the biggest schools in Europe at that time.
  • Criminal Court of Justoce

    This courthouse opened in January 2010 on Parkgate street in Dublin. It replaced the Four Courts as the location for criminal trials. It can hold 100 prisoners in the basement and has rooms for 150 barristers.