Robert Fant

  • My Beginnings

    My Beginnings
    I was born in Winnfield, Louisiana.
    Don't remember much of the first couple of years, but I think we moved to New Orleans, LA when I was about 2 or 3 years old. I must have been about 2 at the time of this photo.
  • My friend, Lightning!

    My friend, Lightning!
    Not sure of this date.
    However, While in the New Orleans area, my dad and I used to ride horses a lot.
    This is a picture of my brothers, Louis and Johnny, on the back of my pony, Lightning. I gave him the name Lightning for a valid reason, he and I ran many races against adults and their horses and seldom lost.

    We also competed in numerous horse-shows, running barrels, stakes, and keyhole competitions, again, always running against adults and horses (not ponies).
  • Summers of '79 & '80

    Summers of '79 & '80
    During the Summers of 1979 and 1980, friends and I would go camping for two to three weeks at a time, in a mountain range between Kenai and Anchorage, Alaska. In those 2 to 3 weeks, we would likely see no trace of another human being. This is me on the trail, overlooking a small water fall.
  • Dad & Uncle

    Dad & Uncle
    We spent a considerable amount of time in the mountains around our home in Kenai, Alaska. Hunting trips would take us several miles from any road, and had to be done on horseback.
    This particular trip probably had us 20 miles from any other people. What a wonderful time we had then. This photo is of my dad and uncle sitting around the campfire, enjoying a cup of coffee.
  • Leaving Home

    Leaving Home
    I turned 18 years old in Army Basic Training.

    After basic and advanced, helicopter maintanance school, I got my first leave to go home. Here I am at the Kenai, Alaska airport, leaving home for good. I am now on my way to Germany.
  • Medivac CrewChief

    Medivac CrewChief
    I am given my first assignment as a crew-chief on a medical evacuation helicopter. I was proud of the fact that I was a Private First Class, all other crew-chiefs were Sergeants (E-5 or E-6). After flying medivac for a year, I got reassigned to the 502nd Combat Aviation Battalion at Fort Hood, Texas.
  • Married my best friend

    Married my best friend
    Christi and I met about 15 Dec., 1983.
    After three weeks I asked her to leave her home in California and go with me to Texas. It took a week, but she finally said NO!
    So, I asked her to marry me. It took a few seconds, but she said YES.
    Two weeks later we were married. We are about to celebrate 26 years together.
  • Back in the Army

    Back in the Army
    I've been out of the Army for about six months. Since then I've gotten married but with no way of supporting a wife. I can't find a decent job in Texas and don't know how to do anything but the Army. So, I re-enlist, and go to Ft. Sill, Oklahoma for Field Artillery Surveyors school.
  • Christi joins the Army

    Christi and I are in Germany. She can't find a job and my job doesn't pay much. So, she joined the Army also. Her contract stated that she would be stationed at the same location that I was at in Aschaffenberg, F.R.G. Her basic and advanced training was a long 10 months.
    I have never missed anyone like I missed her.
  • Our first born.

    Our eldest son, Robert Cochise, was born. A very proud day!
  • Adam is born

    14 months after Cochise, Adam is born.
    What a great day!
    I am now the proud father of TWO sons. I can't tell you all the great plans I have for these boys. I can't wait until they can talk to me, go on walks, and just spend time, like friends do.
  • Inducted into the Sgt Morales Club

    Inducted into the Sgt Morales Club
    They say that only 1 out of every 1,000 that attempt it are selected, and many of them must try several times. On September 29, 1989, General Crosby Saint awards me with the prestigious, Sergeant Morales Club membership. It is our birthday, I turned 27, and General Saint turned 51. Shortly afterwards I am admitted to the hospital for unknown reasons. They later deemed it as "stress-related."
  • Fort Ord, CA

    Fort Ord, CA
    Christi and I both got reassigned to the 7th (Light) Infantry Division at Fort Ord, California, Desert Storm just kicked off while we're on leave.
    My old unit (in Germany) went to Kuwait. I called in while on leave, but my new unit had just returned from Panama and would not be going to Kuwait. Thus, no need for me to report in early.
    I got lucky!
  • College

    After 12 years of service, I decided that it was more important to raise my sons than to remain in the Army. I spent way too much time in the field, and a constant threat of war. The next two years were spent attending school at Monterey Penninsula College. Christi remains in the Army to support us. As a dental technician, we hope she does not get deployed.
  • K-State

    Christi has been at Fort Riley for 6 months now. In June, she comes back to Ca. to get the boys and I to bring us to our new home in Manhattan, Kansas. I've never even seen a university campus and in August I begin my first semester at K-State.
    My first math class there is Calculus III, in a 300 person lecture hall. Things did not go real well at first but I got the hang of it in time.
  • Truck Driving

    My computer hard-drive crashed, which meant that I lost all my data and am now about to fail two of my four classes. I was devistated and quit school. Somewhere between depressed and just needing to help earn a living, I left school, signed up with Schneider National and went to their truck-driving school. After successful completion of their program and nine months over-the-road, I went back to their school to become a truck-driver-trainer. I drove 18-wheelers for two years.
  • Graduation

    It took me 8 years to complete a 5 year program. Most importantly, I made it! One of the most important things I learned in college was just how much I DON'T KNOW!
  • Dodge City HS

    Dodge City school district hires Christi and I both so we move out there. I taught Algebra 1 and Geometry there for 2 and a half years.
    Christi has a special ed. classroom at Miller Elementary.
  • Spearville High School

    The Spearville (USD 381) Superintendent and Principal lure me with technology. Thus, I go to work for them, where I teach Algebra 1 & 2, and Geometry for the next 3 years. Go Lancers!
  • Back to Manhattan

    Christi is offered a position with the Manhattan School District (USD 383), teaching in an Autism room. I'll tag along, and hopefully finish my Masters degree.