Age of ExplorationWhat reasons did Europeans explore? (3)
-God, gold, glory What was Columbus looking for when he found America?
- he thought he would find valuable silks and spices. Which countries were most explorers from?
- French and Spanish What is a conquistador?
- they are people who are out to conquer new lands. Which explorer tore down Tenochtitlan and founded New Spain?
- Hernan Cortes
Pineda Maps Texas CoastDescribe Pineda’s route and accomplishments:
- Europe to Asia,and accomplished by being the first European to explore the Golf of Mexico.
Cabeza de Vaca shipwreckedWhich Native tribe captures Cabeza de Vaca?
- Karankawa natives What killed many Natives and explorers during the Age of Contact?
- Disease When Cabeza de Vaca arrived in Mexico, what did people think about his stories?
- They were shoked
Coronado sets out for CibolaWhat is Cibola?
- the name of a mythical land. Why did Coronado think Cibola was in Texas?
- When friar de Niza, said he saw Cibola the Spanish officials were eager to believe him. Did they find Cibola?
- No, because Cibola is a mythical land. Instead they claimed the lands he traveled through Spain. What is one important landmark that the expedition did discover?
- They did discover the Grand Canyon.
La Salle lands in TexasWhich country began challenging Spain for Texas?
- Quivira Which river delta did La Salle discover?
- Mississippi River Delta
Fort Louis foundedWhere is Ft. St. Louis?
- Illinoise Who founded Ft. St. Louis?
- Robert Cavelier de La Salle Name 2 reasons why Ft. St. Louis failed.
- French abandoned it, and the beans would not grow in February. How was La Salle killed?
- He was killed by Pierre Duhaut
Mission San Francisco foundedWhat is the purpose of a mission?
- To spread chritianity to the natives. Who led missions?
- Captain Fernando Rivera Which country is responsible for building missions?
- Spanish What religion were missions affiliated with?
- Chritainity Were most missions successful?
- Mostely failed Why did missions fail?
- Mostely failed by disease. What buildings protected missions?
Marques de Rubi Inspects TexasWhat was de Rubi’s mission?
- to report the condition of the mission. Who sent de Rubi on his mission?
- the Spanish king Name 2 recommendations that de Rubi made after his journey
- pulled Back from Texas
- build string of forts between Texas and California
The Louisiana PurchaseWhat did the Louisiana purchase mean for
- the U.S. is now toching territory's Which 3 countries still claimed land in North America after the Louisiana Purchase?
- France, Spain, and England
Philip Nolan ExpeditionWhat is a filibuster?
- a person who wages unaficial war. Name 2 other filibuster besides Philip Nolan.
- Jean lafiette, and Augustus Magee Who was Jean Lafitte?
- french pirate filibuster
Moses Austin Asks Permission for ColonyWhy did the Spanish grant Austin permission to establish a colony?
- they allowed him to have 300 Anglo families on 200,000 Texas acres. What happened to Moses before he could establish his colony?
- he got ill,but then his son continued his job.
Stephen F. Austin Establishes His ColonyWhat is an empresario?
The person gaining the right for Mexican land. Where did SFA establish his colony?
Texas What were some of the requirements
Mexico made SFA’s colony meet?
-Pledge thief loyalty to Mexico, give up thier rights as citizens of United states,and adopt the Roman Catholic.
Describe the “Old 300.” What kind of people were they?
What were some challenges in establishing the colony?
The main resources water,food.
Name 2 other empresarios.
- David B. Martin L
Mexico gains independenceWho did Mexico gain their independence from?
- Spain Which Constitution did the Federalist’s establish for Mexico?
- Spanish constitution of 1824 was the constitution for Mexico. Under the Constitution, which Mexican state was Texas joined with?
- Texas was joined with Coahuila y Tejas.
Fredonian RebellionWhat was the goal of the Fredonian Rebellion?
- the purpose was for the Texans to secede from Mexico Who were the Edwards brothers upset with?
How did the Rebellion end?
- Edwards didn't like different the race other than his own Under the Constitution, which Mexican state was Texas joined with?
- this rebellion made the Mexicans be overboard superstitious about America taking Texas.
Mier y Teran ReportWhat was the goal of the Mier y Teran expedition?
- the purpose was to see the Mexican influence on Texas, Meir y teran was sent because he was Mexican general that they sent so he could check out Texas. Why was Mier y Teran sent?
- his reccomidations were to increase trade,more Soldiers should be sent to Texas. What recommendations did Mier y Teran make? To encourage more Spanish and euroupean settlement.
Law of April 6th 1830 passesWhat did the law say about
Import taxes? Answer:
U.S. Immigration was banned, empresario contracts were put under federal control, Mexicans were encouraged to move towards central texas, no new slaves were allowed, new forts watched over the immigration, and import taxes increased.
Convention of 1833What was the goal of the Convention?
- the purpose was to write the state constitution. Who made the trip to Mexico City to present the resolutions?
- Stephan F. Austin made the trip to Mexico city to present the resolution to the Mexican general.
Austin ArrestedWhy was SFA arrested?
SFA was arrested because of the overflowing suspicious of the growing rebellion of Texas. Because of his imprisonment, what did SFA change his mind about?
- after the arrest,SFA changed his mind about Mexican Government, he is now among the Texan rebellion.
Battle of GonzalesWhy was the battle of Gonzales fought?
- the battle was fought over a cannon that Mexicans gave Texas, but came to take back. Who won?
The Texans won. Which important Texas slogan originated during the battle?
- "Come and Take it!"
San Antonio de Bexar SiegeWhat is a siege?
A seige when a group is surrounded by an enemy fource until the group is ready to surrender or dead. Who controlled San Antonio before the siege?
- the Mexican government owned San Antonio before The seige Who controlled San Antonio after the siege?
- after, Texas gained controll of San Antonio.
Convention of 1836Which 2 important documents were created at the convention?
- the Texas Declaration of Independence,and the Texas constitution was developed in the convention.
The Alamo FallsName 3 notable Alamo defenders.
How many Alamo defenders were there? How many Mexican troops?
Why didn’t Sam Houston send reinforcements to the Alamo?
Which side won the Battle of the Alamo?
Answer: David Crockett,James Bowie,and William B. Travis were famouse people who fought in the battle of the Alamo. There were about 600 Texan soldiers and about 3,100 men were in the Mexican army. Sam Houston did not send reinforcements because ke knew even if he did they would lose and never indp.
Goliad MassacreWhich battle did Fannin and his men lose to be taken prisoner?
- Battle of Refugio was the battle when Fannin and his men lost to be taken prisoners.
Who ordered the massacre of Fannin’s men?
Santa Anna is the one who ordered to massacre Fannins men.
How many Texans died during the massacre?
- Fifty- Five men were killed.
The Runaway ScrapeWhich direction was everybody moving?
What was the goal/purpose of the Runaway Scrape?
Why was everybody running away?
What did people think about Sam Houston for running away from Santa Anna?
Answer: everone were moving east during this time. Everyone was running away from Santa Anna because they were not ready to fight. People thought Sam Houstan was a Coward for not just standing up and fighting.
Battle of San JacintoWhat were 2 war-cries that the Texans shouted during the battle?
What was the number of casualties for both sides?
Describe what Santa Anna did during the battle.
Which side was victorious?
Answer: the 2 famous battle cries were "Remember the Alamo" and "Remember Goliad!" 630 Mexican soldiers died and only 9 Texans died. Santa Anna had tried running away. The Texans won the battle and independence.