Glidden partnered with H. B. Sanborn to provide Texas cattlemen with a large-scale demonstration of ranch fencing, headed the project. They developed the "Frying Pan Ranch" in Bushland, Potter County, Texas, in 1881.
Initially, cattlemen strongly opposed barbed wire because they sometimes allowed their herds to roam free and graze at no expense.
The ranch proved the successful; the ranch's eastern border became Amarillo's Western Street.
By 1890, nearly the entire western US range was fenced.