Music Timeline Woo!!!
- steeply raked seating area (the atron)
- three-sided circular playing area (the orchestra)
- stage house (skene)
- long, high walls that extended side of the skene (paraskenia)
- columned arches (proskenium)
RoooooooomaaaaaaaaaaanCompressed three parts of the greek theatre
They started building their theatres on flat grounds instead of hillsides. They used elevators, moving platforms, and trapdoors to insert animals into the theatre.
MedieeeeeeeevaaaaaaaaalThe suppression of the theatre was due to the church but the church is also the reason for the revival of the theatre. They created stages on wagons called pageant wagons to transfer sets from place to place. Often depicting towns in the scenes showing heaven on the left and hell on the right.
1500-1650 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-Contained the same design as Greece and Roman
-Created the raked stage which was a stage where the back of the stage was raised higher than the front of the stage
-Frequently used stock sets (scenery designed to visually support a generalized location) evolutionized the proscenium stage
1650 - 1900 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- rectangular theatre
- framed by a proscenium arch
- more elaborate scenery
- movable drops, wings, and borders
- traditional auditorium (multitiered boxes, gallery, and the pit)
- sophisticated stage machinery (elevator traps, elevator stages, revolving stages, and concentric revolving stages)
- gas lamps and oil lamps used for stage lighting
- limelight & reflective mirror
- incandescent lamps
Twentieth Centuryyyyyyyyyyyyyy-New theatres were built devoted to a more realistic and naturalistic type of drama
-New plays required that the settings become environments for the action of the drama
-This time era brought the first electronic dimmer
-Crucial to the development of electronic sound equipment
RPAC :Dso super awesome