MetropolisSilent film set in an industrial world in the year 2026. The city of Metropolis has an ongoing battle between man vs. machine and class struggle.
- This links with the fear in the 1920s of industrialisation and technological advances.
Invasion of the Body SnatchersSet in a California town where extraterrestrial invasion of human beings, replicating their appearance and having no human emotions or inviduality. A doctor uncovers the invasion and tries to stop them.
- This is around the period of the cold war where people feared invasion from an unknown force.
Planet of the ApesAn astronaut crew crash land on a mysterious planet in the future, they find intelligent species of apes which dominate the planet and enslave humans.
- 1960s fears of post-apocalyptic worlds in the future.
Logan's RunAfter a nuclear war in the future, people live in a city where everyone dies at the age of 30. People who escape are hunted down by Sandmen and killed. A sandman named logan is forced to find sanctury in a place where people have supposedly escaped.
- around the 1960/70s people feared nuclear war, and the impact of destruction that nuclear weapons could have on our world.
The TerminatorA cyborg terminator from the year 2029 is sent back to 1984 to kill Sarah Connor, who will one day be a mother of a son that will lead the resistence movement against the evil cyborg's leaders of the future.
- Influenced by the fear of technological advances turning on us and taking over - 1980s
28 Days Later28 days after a mysterious virus spreads throughout the United Kingdom, a group of survivors try to survive the incurable disease.
- Plays on the fears of 'playing god' and science medelling with nature.
The Day After TomorrowThe world suffers catastrophic effects of global warming. Sam (son of a climatologist) and his friends try to survive in New York with the freezing cold temperatures of an ice age while his father sets himself a mission to reach them.
- As warnings of global warming increase, this post-apocalyptic film brings fourth the fears people feel about envrionmental disasters if we continue to be unsustainable.