• Federal Mill

    The first saw mill in town was built in 1803 by the work of fourteen men. It was constructed on the Chandler brook . This mill was called Federal Mill, and did a good business. The mill was washed away one night in 1816.
  • Three Stone Brothers

    Three Stone Brothers
    In 1820 the three Stones brothers built a mill on the site where the Haynes mill now stands. In 1828 Samuel and Josh Ston bough out Joseph's share; they had a good business until 1836, when they sold out to Oliver Wyman, who kept it going a year or two. In 1837 the mill was damaged by heavy rains, making Mr. Wyman believe he had to sell out to Isaac G. Long, who repaired the mill. Mr. Long and his sons carried on the business for a while, then sold it to Holland Tarbell.
  • Asa Simonds

    Asa Simonds
    Asa Simonds built a mill in about 1827, near Ira. R. Walker's place. After some time, the mill was sold to B. S. Ballard in 1841, who put in a large breast wheel and did a good business for several years.
  • James Wait

    James Wait
    In 1836, a mill was built by james Wait in the north-east part of the town of Peru, VT. This mill has done, and is still doing an acceptable business. This mill is now owned by Jackson Chadwick.
  • Holland Tarbell

    After buying the mill from Mr. Wyman, Harland Tarbell built a new mill and a dam down the brook, plus building the house and a barn east of the mill. Unfortunately, Mr. Tarbell died before these improvements were all completed.
  • James L. Haynes

    In 1837, James L. Haynes bought the hard work of Mr. Harland Tarbell. He completed the mill, and did an abundant business in the sawing line. After a few years of business, Mr. Haynes enlarged it and put it new machinery. It is now owned, and carried on by C. W. Whitney and Son, and is a large business.
  • H. Gould and Sarel Sawyer

    H. Gould  and Sarel Sawyer
    H. Gould constructed a mill in 1840, and did some business. Afterwards, it went into the hands of Sarel Sawyer, who built a new mill and put in modern machinery. It was burned down in 1887, but a new mill was built, of which is doing a good business at the present time.
  • Batchelder, Albee and Simonds.

    Batchelder, Albee and Simonds.
    Around 1841, George and Edward bathelder owned and carried on the mill for a time. Gustave Albee owned it a short time, but eventually sold it to Elijah Simonds. Mr. Simonds repaired the wheel and put in new machinery. When he died, his descendants sold the place to J. G. Walker. The mill is still standing, but it is decaying.
  • E. H. Tuttle

    E. H. Tuttle
    In 1842 E. H. Tuttle built a mill in District No. 6. It has changed owners an excellent amount of times, but is now doing a good business.
  • Wyman, Simonds, Barnard & Burkitt Simonds, Russell & Benson, and Patterson

    Wyman, Simonds, Barnard & Burkitt Simonds, Russell & Benson, and Patterson
    In about 1847 Dana Wyman built a mill on the brrok that runs through Albert Simonds farm. He did business there for several years; when one night it was diminished in flames. The flames went unseen and Mr. Wyman then built a new mill. Charles barnard and Burkitt Simonds owned and carried on business in this mill for quite some time also. Nahum Russell and Allen Benson then bought the place and improved it. But it was last seen in the hands of a Mr. Almon Patterson.
  • M. B. Hapgood

    M. B. Hapgood
    In the time period of 1847 or a little later (there is no exact date), M. B. Hapgood constructed a steam mill on the mountain, but was burned down. A new mill was built and a good business was done.
  • Sawyer Mill

    There is also no exact date for this event, but an engine was placed into the Sawyer mill, and a good business was done there. This mill burnt down, but has since been replaced. At the time this mill was built, there were six steam mills doing business in Peru.
  • The Notch Mill

    The Notch Mill
    In 1849, the notch mill, called by its being placed in the notch of the mountains at the junction of two creeks, these creeks form the Mad Tom, was built by Ira Cochran. Mr. Cochran and M. Manley sawed out many thousand burch ties for the railroads. They were two miles up the mountain, on no road to draw lumber, but thought of the idea of making a spout and running the lumber down by water.
  • The Notch Mill (continued)

    The Notch Mill (continued)
    By building a spout and running lumber down by water, they could get lumber to the railroads in four days; it was used for many years. Cochran and Manley bought several hundred acres of land, and carried on the business for two or three years; in that time, they built several houses and barns around the mill. Finally, they sold the property to James B. Wood who carried on the business for ten or twelve years.
  • Barnum & Co

    Somewhere between 1849-52, Barnum & Co bought a large bit of land on the mountain in the south-west part of town and manufactured charcoal. The charcoal was all sent to Connecticut.
  • Daniel Davis, Batchelder & Long and Coolidge & Spaulding

    Daniel Davis, Batchelder & Long and Coolidge & Spaulding
    In about 1852 Daniel Davis embarked to build a mill on the stream east of the Byard farm. He made a dam, built a frame and built a small house. In the spring of 1853 Mr. Davis hung himself in his own house, and the mill was sold to Mark Batchelder and C. F. Long. They finished building the mill and carried on business for some time. Coolidge and Spaulding began to repair it some years later, but never did any business there.