James CookLieutenant James Cook charted the outside of Moreton Bay and named several
features, including Point Lookout on North Stradbroke Island.
Matthew flinders crewA group of Minjerribah (Stradbroke Island) people helped Matthew Flinders’ crew
find water when they came ashore near Cylinder Beach on their way back to
Sydney. This was possibly the first black-white contact on the Island.
shipwreckTimbergetters Pamphlett, Finnegan and Parsons were shipwrecked on Moreton
Island and spent the next eight months travelling around Moreton Bay. The
Noonucals at Pulan (Amity Point) looked after them for nearly six weeks. They
housed, fed and advised the trio on canoe making, and saw them off some months
later in the craft they’d made on the island. During their time on Minjerribah
(Stradbroke Island), the three experienced bora gatherings, and ceremonial,
celebratory and gladatorial events.
RenamingIn June Minjerribah was renamed Stradbroke Island by Governor Darling in honor
of the Honourable Captain JH Rous, son of the Earl of Stradbroke and also
Viscount Dunwich. Rous was commander of HMS Rainbow, the first ship of war to
enter Moreton Bay. Darling also named Dunwich, Rainbow Reach and Rous’
Industrial revolutionA cotton plantation was established at Moongalba (Myora).8
It was abandoned not
January 1831-December 1832 violent altercations10 or more violent clashes occurred between
Stradbroke Island Aborigines and Europeans stationed at Dunwich and Amity.
QuirtineOn 16 July Dunwich was proclaimed Moreton Bay’s quarantine station. Only
weeks later, the immigrant ship Emigrant arrived with typhus on board. The
passengers were put into quarantine at Dunwich.21 In all, 56 people died. Many are
buried in the Dunwich cemetery.
Peel islandPeel Island was declared Moreton Bay’s official quarantine station and Dunwich
became the permanent home of the asylum.
LeaseBilly North was granted a lease over Point Lookout. For nearly 40 years, he ran
cattle, at one stage supplying beef to the Dunwich Benevolent Asylum. He also
operated a fish cannery at Two Mile outside Dunwich. The quality of his canned
fish was recognised by a medal from the National Agricultural and Industrial
Association in 1908.
Oystrer industryBy this time, Moreton Bay’s oyster fisheries were slowly being destroyed by an
outbreak of mud worm. Oystering had been the biggest seafood industry in
southern Qld for years, employing hundreds of Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal
people over decades.47 Many oystermen lived in rough camps on the Bay Islands
and Stradbroke. Dwellings comprised simple shacks made of bark and slab, with
two-room cottages built as incomes improved.48
Prosperity ship wreckThe Prosperity sank off Point Lookout on its way from Sydney with sugar
machinery for Mourilyan Harbour in North Queensland. Five survivors were cared
for at Point Lookout before returning home. In 1956 a skeleton and boot were uncovered in the sand on Deadman’s Beach, and it is believed they were the
remains of the Prosperity’s mate or cook.49 This is the origin of the name.
TourismPoint Lookout’s first tourism venture started in the 1930s when Bert Clayton
bought land above South Gorge to establish a guest house. The first guests were
accommodated in tents which were slowly replaced by one-room cabins. He sold
up in 1946 and the new owners, the Bulcocks, renamed the complex Samarinda
Point lookout light houseThe Point Lookout lighthouse was built. Materials for its construction were landed
on a Point Lookout beach, and the cylinders for the light were constructed on the
beach and carried up to the site. As a result the beach became known as Cylinder
Moongalba/Myora missionThe Moongalba/Myora mission was closed. Most residents moved to One Mile
where the Moongalba buildings were re erected. The Moongalba families weren’t
allowed to live in Dunwich.7
Point Lookout slscThe first life-saving patrols started at Point Lookout. The following year the Point
Lookout club became affiliated with the Queensland Surf Life Saving Association.
The army tent used in the early days was replaced by the club’s first permanent
clubhouse in 1950.
Zinc corpsZinc Corp began sand mining on Stradbroke Island. The first shipment left the
Island in 1950. The sand was shovelled by hand from Main Beach and trucked to
Dunwich.79 The mining partly solved the unemployment problems on the Island
Titanium Zircon IndustriesConsolidated Rutile began mining operations. Until then Titanium Zircon Industries
(TAZI) was the Island’s major employer.
BargesBarge Lookout began operating from Cleveland and Stradbroke Ferries began
operating firstly the Myora and then the Moongoolba.