French and Indian War
Treaty of Paris 1763-Britain won the French and Indian War, this treaty officially ended the war.
- Britain clamied all land east of the Mississippi river.
- This war was very costly for the British.
- British colonist began to settle in the Ohio river valley, were the Native americans lived.
- The Native Americans responded by attacking to British forts.
Proclamation of 1763 (Britain Prohibits Move)
- Britsih did not allow colonist to settle west of the appalation mountains. -British sent troops out to prevent settlers from crossing the mountains, so they did not upset the indians. -The British goverment goverment was angry that the colonist did not want to pay for protection.
- This was the first time that the colonist had felt hostility towards the British goverment.
Suger Act-This act taxed suger and mollassus, any thing else sweet.
-This slowly became a problem to the colonalist.
-King Goerge set this law, to pay off the war.
Stamp Act-Britain needed money to pay off the war so they made the stamp act.
-This act taxed letters and what not, to have a stamp that had the tax they had payed.
-This slowy became a problem because the coins they had to pay with, werent so common.
-The colonist began organizing boycotts.
Writs of Assitance
- The goverment got into peoples bussnies, because they passed Writs of Asitance.
- This lead customs officers could search ships at will, looking for any smugled goods.
- This lead only few affected, but it slowly lead into a problem for the colonist.
- Britain needed money for the war, It lead to the townsheds act.
- This act taxed various household items.
- The colonist boycotted.
- Britain wanted to save money.
- So they passed this act in which colonist had to provide food, and housing for the british soldiers.
- The colonist hated it, but little could be done.
- Colonist would always taunt the british soliders, which one day got out of hand.
- A roit between the colonist and British soliders, had broke out.
- Sam Adams used this opportunity to whip up anti-british feelins.
Boston Tea Party
- The colonist did not like the Tea act.
- So they dumped 90,000 pnds. of tea into the boston harbor.
- The goverment was angry so they created the intolerbole act.
Tea Act-British king needed money so they could pay of war,so they stopped the tea trade.
-Samuel Adams started a drive to form committees of correspondence.
-The result was the Boston Tea Party.
Inteolerble Act-This act ment the colonist could not hold town meetings, so the Port of Boston was closed.
- This lead to the the first Continental Congress.
- This made the colonies begin to unify.
First Coninental Congress Meets
- The first Continental Congress meetss in Philadelphia, all except Gorgea.
- They decited to ban all trade with England, until Acts were repealed. -So each colony was called to began training troops.
Ft. Ticonderoga-Benedict Arnold, led a portion of his militia across the half-mile width of Lake Champlain to the base of the fort.
-the next morning his men rushed into the fort demanding its surrender.
-Taken by surprise, the British surrendered.
Battles of Lexington
- This battle were one of the first battles of the Revolution War.
- April 19, 1775, 700 british troops march into Lexington, this is were the first shot of the war was shot. -"SHOT HEARD AROUND THE WORLD!" -This lead to battle of Concord.
2nd Continental Congress-Americans battled Britain in New york.
- They all agreeded to form Continental Armyand Goerge Washington was chosen to be the leader.
-This lead to Ft.Ticonderoga.
Battle of Concord
- British marched to Concord and destroyed milita supplies.
- This battle was 4,000 mulita men vs. 700 troops.
- This lead to the 2nd Continental of Congress.
Bunker Hill-British drove the Americans from Charlestown peninsula it was with hard loss.
- 2,400 British troops against 1,500 Americans.
- This made the king extend the blockade, the mulita was able to push the British out of Boston.
Declaration of Independence-Thomas Jeffeson was chosen to compose this document.
- This document was written in 2 weeks,on 4th of July.
-This document was based on the philosophyof John Adams, unalienable rights.
Battle of New York
- All the fighting had shifted to the middle colonies, the British wanted to capture New York. -British attacked Washingtons army on long island and inflincted heavy causalities, Washington avoided capture and retreated into Pennsilvana.
- The British occuped New York for the rest of the war.
Common Sence-Thomas Paine wrote Common Sence. He was a englishman, he said to cut england trade off, others will trade.
-Common Sence increased support for aerican independence.
- This lead to the declaration of independence.
Battle of Trenton-Goerge Washington launched a surprise attack, crossing the deleware river.
-He captured over 800 hesian prisoners with-out losing one man.
-This lead to the battle of Princeton.
Battle of Princeton-Washington captures another 300 british soliders at princeton, New Jersey.
-This was only a month after the battle of trenton.
-But soon after Washington lost a battle at Brandywine and Germantown.
Battle of Saratoga
- British genral Burgoyne planned to cut off new england from the rest of the colonies. -Danial Mogan and the colonist had other ideas. -American genral Horatio Gates surrounded Burgoynes remaining forcesat saratoga. -Burgoyne surrendered his entire army to the americans. -Benjamin F. helped negotiate the Treaty of Alliance with France and Spain.
- This battle was a major turning point.
Winter at Valley Forge-Washington and his men spent long cold winters through 1777-1778 in valley forge pennsylvania.
-The american troops were despate need of food and wam clothing.
- French Volenteer Marquis d lafayette, hlpd donate mony and train the continental army.
-Spanish Bernardo de galvez helped colonist by defeating the british in several battle in louisianna and flordia.
-John Paul Jones steered his burning ship into british warship Serapis, shoughting "I have not yet begun to fight!"
- Genral Lord Cornwallice moved his men to virgina and waited. -The time was right Washington to set the ultimate trap. Jame Armisead (a alave) was a double spy and gave Washington infromation. -Washington would lead a three week attack on the British.
- He traped Cornwallice, they surrendered, and the americans won there Independence.
Treaty of Paris
- Great Britain reconized the United States as an independent nation. -United States gained all land east o Mississippi river.
- U.S agreed to return all property taken from the loyalist.