-
-
Built before the time of white settlement.
-
Captain James Cook named Cape Moreton after his friend the Earl of Moreton. He named the Glasshouse Mountains, calling them 'The Glasshouses', their shape reminding him of the glass-making kilns of his native Yorkshire.
-
Matthew Flinders in his sloop 'Norfolk' and with Sydney Aborigine Bongaree, sheltered in the southwest corner of Bribie Island, known today as South Point. He was the first white man to set foot on Queensland soil. He named Moreton Island and Moreton Bay, which Cook never entered. He and Bongaree had a slight tussle with the local Indigenous people, so named the area Skirmish Point, but due to an error in transcription, Skirmish Point is marked off the southeast side of the island.
-
The outer or ocean light has a height of 62 feet, as a building, from base to vane, with 56 feet of light above high water, whilst the inner or back light is 98 feet from base to vane and is 95 feet above high water mark (The Shire of Landsborough Historical Society)
-
Bagging oysters at Poverty Point.
-
The steamship 'Koopa' brought thousands to camp and fish from 1912.
-
-
Bill Shirley built the first road in 1923, ran a bus service and a guest house 'Campbell' Bribie Island.
-
Bribie Island State School opened.
-
Naval gun is being ferried from Tripcony Park in Caloundra to Bribie Island for defence purposes in late 1939.
-
Construction of the Bribie Island Bridge.
-
The Bribie Island Bridge is a prestressed concrete structure, 831.4 metres long. Originally a $1 toll bridge, which was lifted in March 1975, when the bridge had paid for itself. Photo shows the then Premier of Queensland,Frank Nicklin , paying the first toll.
-
Bribie Island Library built as part of Caboolture Shire's library network.