Spitfire image website lg

Air Force Museum of New Zealand, Christchurch

  • Bleriot X12 Britannia

    Bleriot X12 Britannia
    The aircraft displayed in the Museum's Atrium is a replica of Britannia built by David
    Comrie at his home in Dunedin. While under construction, it was discovered that the
    aircraft being built was not the military version. Hurried changes were necessary to
    ensure the correct configuration, and finishing touches and fitting of the replica engine
    were undertaken at the Museum.
    The original Britannia was presented to the New Zealand Government in 1913 by the
    Imperial Air Fleet Committee - a group of
  • Avro 626

    Avro 626
    NZ203
    (Air Ministry no. 811) This aircraft is one of four bought by the RNZAF in 1935 and shipped to New Zealand
    aboard the ship Middlesex. It arrived in Lyttelton in September 1935 and was
    allocated to Wigram where it served with No. 1 Flying Training School. It was
    withdrawn from flying in 1943 and converted to instructional airframe (INST90)
    and issued to the Hastings Air Training Corps squadron. It remained there until being
    disposed of by the War Assets Realisation Board and purchased by
  • North American Harvard

    North American Harvard
    NZ1087 (displayed as NZ948)
    (Manufacturer's no. 88-16326; ex-RAF EZ331) The Harvard was supplied to the RNZAF in 1941 to 1944 for advanced pilot training on
    single-engine aircraft. The RNZAF obtained additional aircraft and operated a total of
    202 Harvards throughout their service until they were replaced in 1976 by the CT4-B
    Airtrainer and BAC Strikemasters.
    Manufactured by North American Aviation in Dallas, Texas in 1944, this aircraft was
    diverted to New Zealand under the Empire Air Traini
  • Lockheed Hudson

    NZ2013
    (Manufacturer's no. 3826; ex-RAF V9241)
    The RNZAF received 94 Hudsons in 1941-42 as part of measures to counter the threat
    of German raiders around the New Zealand coastline. Subsequently they formed a
    major part of the RNZAF's operational capabilities to counter the Japanese threat.
    They were operated by No.1,2,3,4 and 9 Squadrons until replaced in 1943-44 by the
    more powerful Lockheed Venturas. The Hudson performed the roles of maritime search
    and strike operations.
    NZ2013 was manufactu
  • Lockheed Hudson

    Lockheed Hudson
    NZ2013
    (Manufacturer's no. 3826; ex-RAF V9241)
    The RNZAF received 94 Hudsons in 1941-42 as part of measures to counter the threat
    of German raiders around the New Zealand coastline. Subsequently they formed a
    major part of the RNZAF's operational capabilities to counter the Japanese threat.
    They were operated by No.1,2,3,4 and 9 Squadrons until replaced in 1943-44 by the
    more powerful Lockheed Venturas. The Hudson performed the roles of maritime search
    and strike operations.
    NZ2013 was manufac
  • Avro Anson

    Avro Anson
    Composite airframe (display identity NZ406) 23 Ansons were supplied to the RNZAF in 1942-43 and were used in New Zealand for
    general reconnaissance and advanced navigational training. The last of the Anson fleet
    was retired from the RNZAF in 1952.
    The aircraft on display is a composite aircraft made from many different Anson aircraft
    parts, although the fuselage is largely NZ415 (LT376). Parts of NZ410, NZ422 and VL352
    are also used. The metal centre section, mainplanes and tailplane are fro
  • Curtiss P-40E Kittyhawk

    Curtiss P-40E Kittyhawk
    ‘NZ 3000’
    (ex-USAAF 41-14205)
    The P-40 Kittyhawk was the backbone of RNZAF fighter squadrons from 1942 to the
    middle of 1944 when they were replaced by Corsairs. Equipping eight squadrons and
    two training units, Kittyhawks of various marks (E, K, M and N) were used to train
    fighter pilots at home in New Zealand and on operations in the South-West Pacific
    during World War Two. A total of 297 Kittyhawks were operated by the RNZAF. By the
    end of the War, there were only 124 Kittyhawks remaining, 2
  • Consolidated Catalina 0A-10A-V1

    Consolidated Catalina 0A-10A-V1
    USAAF 44-34081
    (Manufacturer's no. CV-592)
    The RNZAF operated a total of 56 Catalinas between 1943 and 1954. During World War
    Two they were used in anti-submarine, maritime patrol, transport and air-sea rescue
    roles. The Catalinas were operated in the South West Pacific by No. 5 and 6 Squadrons
    during the War, before returning to Fiji and New Zealand for post-War use. Short
    Sunderland flying boats replaced the Catalinas in 1953-54.
    Manufactured under licence in Canada by the Vickers Company at
  • Douglas Dakota

    Douglas Dakota
    NZ3551
    (Manufacturer's no. 16963, ex-USAAF 45-960)
    No. 40 Squadron (and later No. 41 Squadron) operated C-47B transport aircraft from
    1943 in support of RNZAF operations in the South and South-West Pacific theatres.
    The C-47 remained in RNZAF service until 1977. It was replaced in its transport role
    in 1951-52 by the Bristol Freighters and Handley Page Hastings. The RNZAF retained
    two C-47s for VIP transport with No. 42 Squadron during the Royal Tour of 1953-54,
    and subsequently four ex-National
  • Grumman Avenger

    Grumman Avenger
    NZ2504 (displayed as NZ2521)
    (Manufacturer's no. 5219)
    The RNZAF received 48 Grumman Avengers in 1943-44 to equip two torpedo bomber
    squadrons, No. 30 and 31, both of which carried out operational tours in the South and
    South- West Pacific theatres. In late 1944 sixteen were returned to the US Government,
    and at the end of World War Two nine were transferred to the Royal Navy for use in
    Australia. The RNZAF retained 12 Avengers; six were sold for scrap in 1948, and the
    remaining six were used fo
  • De Havilland Devon

    De Havilland Devon
    NZ1803
    (Manufacturer's no. 04294) In 1952 the RNZAF commenced delivery of an eventual total of 28 Devons. These were
    additional to two Doves (the civilian version of the Devon) acquired in 1948 for VIP duties.
    Navigational and signals training for the RNZAF was conducted at Wigram until 1980 and
    the Devons were used for this purpose. A small number were based at Ohakea with No.
    42 Squadron for use on general transport and VIP duties, and multi-engine conversion
    training. The Devons were retire
  • Auster MK7c

    Auster MK7c
    NZ1707
    (Manufacturer's no. unknown, ex-RAF WE563)
    Manufactured by Auster Aircraft Ltd at Rearsby in November 1950 as a dual-control
    airtrainer for the RAF. It served until 1955 (possibly in the Middle East) before being
    returned to the factory for modifications. In November 1955 it was allocated to the
    Commonwealth Trans-Antarctic Expedition along with Auster WE600.
    WE563 was purchased from the UK Air Ministry at a cost of £8696 for the use of the
    NZ Antarctic Expedition. It arrived in Lyttelton
  • B170 MK31 M Bristol Freighter

    B170 MK31 M Bristol Freighter
    NZ5903
    (Manfacturer's no. 12834)
    The RNZAF purchased 12 Bristol Freighters in total, although probably no more than 10
    were operational with No. 41 Squadron at any one time. These aircraft were in service
    from 1952 to 1977. Their primary role was as short to medium range tactical transport
    aircraft and they saw service in Singapore, Thailand, Borneo, Australia and around the
    Pacific.
    NZ5903 was manufactured in 1951 and was ferried to New Zealand and taken on charge
    on 10 March 1952. The aircraft
  • De Havilland Canada Beaver

    De Havilland Canada Beaver
    Civil registered VH-AAL and ZK-CMW (displayed as NZ6001)
    (Manufacturer's no. 1084)
    Manufactured in 1957 and registered to Aerial Agriculture Ltd, Sydney as VH-AAL. It
    was brought to New Zealand by Air Contracts Limited Masterton in September 1965 and
    registered as ZK-CMW. Sold to Fieldair Ltd Gisborne in February 1969 and transferred
    to Fieldair Holdings (Central) Ltd, Palmerston North in November 1980, it was used for
    aerial topdressing. The aircraft was acquired by the Museum in 1985.
    The airc
  • Bell UH 1H Iroqouis

    Bell UH 1H Iroqouis
    US Army serial no. 69-15923 (displayed as NZ3800)
    (Manufacturer's no. AAB 12211)
    Six UH-1D helicopters were purchased in 1965 and were delivered to New Zealand
    by RNZAF C-130 Hercules transport aircraft during 1966, and were allocated to
    No. 3 Battlefield Support Squadron at Hobsonville. Nine UH-1H helicopters were
    later delivered in 1970. The Iroquois is still in service today with No. 3 Squadron
    based at Ohakea, but are being gradually replaced by the NH90. These helicopters
    are widely used in
  • Cessna 0-2A-2E

    Cessna 0-2A-2E
    USAF 69-7639
    (Manufacturer's no. unknown)
    Manufactured by the Cessna Aircraft Co. in Wichita, Kansas, this aircraft was delivered
    to the USAF on 10 April 1970. Between this date and July 1986 it was used by various
    Tactical Air Support Groups of the USAF Reserve and Air National Guard. The aircraft
    was placed in long term storage at Davis Monthan Air Force Base in July 1986, and
    presented to the Air Force Museum on long term loan in April 1990. This aircraft is
    displayed in a Forward Air Contro
  • Hawker Andover

    Hawker Andover
    NZ 7621
    (Manufacturer's no. 7, ex-RAF XS600)
    The Andovers were used by the RNZAF to replace the C-47 Dakotas and Bristol
    Freighters in the short to medium range tactical transport role. They were bought
    second hand from the UK and were delivered in 1976-77 and served with No. 1 and
    42 Squadrons at Ohakea and Whenuapai. Two were converted for use in the VIP role.
    NZ7621 was ferried to Auckland on 24 May 1977 and served its entire career with No.
    42 Squadron. Allocated to the Air Force Museum as a
  • Aerospace CT4B Airtrainer

    Aerospace CT4B Airtrainer
    NZ1948
    (Manufacturer's no. 096)
    Manufactured in Hamilton by Pacific Aerospace Limited, this aircraft was brought on
    charge at Wigram on 28 August 1978. It served at the Flying Training Wing at Wigram
    until 1993 when flying training moved to RNZAF Base Ohakea.
    The aircraft was eventually traded in by the RNZAF in 1998 for a leased CT/4E Airtrainer
    and donated to the Museum by Aeromotive Limited (formerly Pacific Aerospace Ltd).
    The aircraft is currently on display in the Aircraft Hall of the Mu
  • English Electric Canberra B20

    English Electric Canberra B20
    RAAF Serial no. A84-240
    (Manufacturer's no. GAF.C.FF40)
    This aircraft is an Australian-produced version of the B2 and was made atthe Government
    Aircraft Factory, Fisherman's Bend, Melbourne.
    The aircraft served in Vietnam where it suffered battle damage and was repaired at
    Butterworth in Northern Malaysia. A84-240 also served at Amberley and for two short
    terms with the Aircraft Research and Development Unit. Ceasing flying in 1982, the
    aircraft was placed in storage with a total of 6515 flying