The Forbidden City was the home of the Chinese emperors, beginning in 1420. There is debate over who was the architect. Most believe it was Cai Xin. Others say Nguyen An. It covers 178 acres, has 980 buildings, including gardens, a moat, and a 32 ft. wall surrounding it. The outer court or southern section was the site of general business. Its largest building, The Hall of Supreme Harmony marks its end. The inner court or northern section housed the Emperor and the harem for his concubines.