Oct 12, 1492
1492 - (Christopher Columbus)Christopher Columbus' fleet of ships (1. Niña, 2. Pinta, 3. Santa María) made landfall onto coast of "San Salvador" (what is now known as the Bahamas); 1st European (Italian) to do so! • LINK TO PICTURE!
1770 - Boston Massacre
1773 - Boston Tea PartyBoston, Massachusetts - American colonists dump British tea into the Boston harbor as an act of protest over frustration regarding the recent taxation of British-imported products. Find out more by clicking these links!
1774 - The Intolerable ("Coercive") Acts
1775 - Battle of Bunker Hill• This battle began the Revolutionary War
• Charlestown, MA
(--> siege of Boston by British forces)
• known as "The Shot Heard Round the World" [https://www.britannica.com/event/American-Revolution/Prelude-to-war][https://www.gettyimages.com/collaboration/boards/OoAIdVAppEqBWHWVgmWB9Q?panel&nav=nav_saved_to_board_toaster&uiloc=nav_saved_to_board_toaster] (http://www.timetoast.com)
1776 - Battle of Trenton (Christmas Day)Trenton, NJ - Delaware River https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikijunior:United_States_Charters_of_Freedom/The_13_Colonies
1777 - The Battle of Brandywine - (Pulaski)Pulaski
• "Father of American Cavalry"
• Battle of Brandywine -- Location: https://www.history.com/topics/american-revolution/boston-tea-party
1778 - France entered the war as an ally• France became the first ally, which eventually led to Spain and the Netherlands becoming involved, as well.
• made possible by the Treaty of Alliance [https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franco-American_alliance]
(Sept. - Oct. 1779) Battle of Saratoga• Spain became an ally
• TURNING POINT OF THE WAR Links:
1781 - Battle of Yorktown - (Lord Cornwallis)Lord Cornwallis - (British General)
• He & his troops surrendered to American forces at this battle
• took place around present-day New York https://www.britannica.com/event/American-Revolution (http://timetoast.com)
1492-1779U.S. Revolutionary War to gain independence from Great Britain https://www.britannica.com/event/American-Revolution