The beginning of reconstruction...
Lincoln's 10% Plan
• Presented a full pardon to any Southerner, which the exception of certain leaders, who would oath to support The Constitution of the United States and The Union of the States
• Those who agreed to take the oath in each state could then vote to arrange a new state government
• Lincoln would recognize the new state if:
1) The new government accepted the abolition of slavery
2) The people voting for government was at least 10% of those who had voted in the 1860 election.