Toowoomba's History

By agrac17
  • Allan Cunningham discovered the Darling Downs.

    6 June- Allan Cunningham discovered the Darling Downs.
  • Patrick Leslie arrived in Australia

    Patrick Leslie arrived in Australia
  • Patrick Leslie arrived at the junction

    20 March- Patrick Leslie arrived at the junction of Sandy Creek (later named) and the Condamine River.
  • The first head station was established

    2 July- The first head station was established by the Leslie brothers at Toolburra This was the first permanent pastoral settlement in present day QLD
  • Lieutenant Gorman, Commandant of the Moreton Bay Settlement,

    7 Oct- Lieutenant Gorman, Commandant of the Moreton Bay Settlement, left the settlement to visit the Darling Downs, led by John Sterry Baker
  • Lieutenant Gorman’s party passed through Gorman’s Gap.

    17 Oct- Lieutenant Gorman’s party passed through Gorman’s Gap.
  • Lieutenant Gorman reached Etonvale Station

    19 Oct- Lieutenant Gorman reached Etonvale Station
  • First shearing at Etonvale Station - Westbrook Station was settled by John (Tinker) Campbell

    19 Nov- First shearing at Etonvale Station
    - Westbrook Station was settled by John (Tinker) Campbell
  • Thomas Alford came to the Darling Downs and established store on the Leyburn Road leading west

    Thomas Alford came to the Darling Downs and established a store on the Leyburn Road leading west. Arthur Hodgson later assisted his move to establish his store at “The Springs”.
  • John Campbell of Westbrook Station produced a magnificent crop of wheat.

    John Campbell of Westbrook Station produced a magnificent crop of wheat.
  • Arthur Hodgen and Gilbert Elliot grew wheat at Etonvale

    Arthur Hodgen and Gilbert Elliot grew wheat at Etonvale
  • William Handcock set up a store at “ The Springs”

    William Handcock set up a store at “ The Springs”
  • - William Horton became the licensee of the Bull Head’s Inn.

    1 May- William Horton became the licensee of the Bull Head’s Inn.
  • A bridle track Mt Lofty foothills came into use.

    A bridle track along the Mt Lofty foothills came into use.
  • J.C. Burnett’s surveyed twelve 27 to 40 acre (11-16 hectare) farmlets

    J.C. Burnett’s surveyed twelve 27 to 40 acre (11-16 hectare) farmlets to be known as the Drayton Agricultural reserve.
  • William Shuttlewood and William Gurney was living at “The Swamp”.

    William Shuttlewood and William Gurney met Josiah Dent who was living at “The Swamp”.
  • he first land sales were held at Drayton and Warwick.

    he first land sales were held at Drayton and Warwick.
    An acute water shortage in the Drayton area caused further settlement at the “ Swamp”
  • Gold rush fever discovered

    Gold rush fever discovered the discovery of gold in NSW new Bathurst by Edward Hargreaves.
  • Drayton School was opened

    6 Sept- Drayton School was opened and it became the first National school in the area.
  • Thomas Alford moved to the Drayton Swamp agricultural Area

    Thomas Alford moved to the Drayton Swamp agricultural Area using the name “Toowoomba” for his house and store.
  • urveyors J.C. Burnett and Moriarity continued the 1851 survey at the Drayton Agricultural Reserve

    Surveyors J.C. Burnett and Moriarity continued the 1851 survey at the Drayton Agricultural Reserve; that is allotments 13 to 59 the land west and north of West Swamp and east and north of East Swamp. Allotments 50-59 between the swamps fixed the southern boundary of “The Swamp” at Long Street.
  • The first oat crop for the area was grown

    The first oat crop for the area was grown at the south-west corner of Perth and Ruthven Streets.
  • The first hotel was erected in the “Drayton Agricultural Reserve”. The hotel,

    The first hotel was erected in the “Drayton Agricultural Reserve”. The hotel, originally called “ The Seperation” ( reflecting the owner’s spelling limitations) was later named “The Royal” (Snell St) and was used in the1860’s as a meeting place of the first municipal council.
  • a 2 pence ( 2 cent) toll was introduced on the Toll Bar Road.

    1 January- a 2 pence ( 2 cent) toll was introduced on the Toll Bar Road.
  • The first group of German immigrants arrived on the Downs.

    The first group of German immigrants arrived on the Downs.
  • The first wheat was grown at “The Swamp”

    The first wheat was grown at “The Swamp” on the east side of Ruthven Street near Donation Lane.
  • The naming of “Toowoomba”

    1 Jan- The naming of toowoomba was celebrated by the people of Drayton and Toowoomba.
  • A post office was opened in James St

    A post office was opened in James St, a short distance from the north-east corner of the Neil St intersection.
  • Queensland was named after Queen Victoria,

    Separation Day- Queensland was named after Queen Victoria, Queen of England. Sir George Ferguson Bowen became the first Governor of Queensland.
  • he proclamation making Toowoomba municipality and empowering its citizens

    24 Nov- The proclamation making Toowoomba municipality and empowering its citizens to elect a mayor and aldermen was published. It was gazetted on 1 December, 1860. The municipality occupied all the land that had been surveyed at “The Swamp”, although much of it was surveyed as suburban to Drayton.
  • John Robert “Jackie” Howe was born

    26 July- John Robert “Jackie” Howe was born on Canning Downs near Warwick.
  • The first train reached Toowoomba

    12 April- The first train reached Toowoomba from Ipswich, taking 6 hours to complete the journey.
  • The Railway opened

    30 April- The railway to Toowoomba was opened.
  • Royal Bulls Head In

    The Royal Bull’s Head Inn became a private residence.
  • Toowoomba became a city

  • oseph Booth’s first Road Passenger and Mail Transport

    1 Jan- Joseph Booth’s first Road Passenger and Mail Transport was established between Drayton and Ipswich.