St. Ignatius College, as it was then known, opened it's doors on 6 September 1886. In 1886, there was an enrollment of 75 students and 4 teachers, all German Jesuits. The President of the School at the time was Reverend John Neustich, a Jesuit.
St. Ignatius High School
In 1887, St. Ignatius introduced the subjects of Latin, Greek, English, German, French, History, Geography, Mathematics, Philosophy, Chemistry, Bookkeeping, and Penmanship. St. Ignatius would later drop four of these subjects.
The JUG (Justice under God) is introduced.
The First (annual) Theatrical Production at St. Ignatius
In 1890, St. Ignatius introduces it's first sport, baseball.
In 1891, The Main Building was completed, replacing the old wooden schoolhouse.
In the class of 1895-1896, St. Ignatius High School had 143 students enrolled and 15 teachers.
St. Ignatius introduced basketball as a sport in the 1900-1901 Season.
First Baseball Season
In the 1904 Season, St. Ignatius had its first competition against another school in baseball.
After the end of the 1904-1905 Sports season, Coach F.J. Gallagher reports leading both Ignatius teams to an 80% Victory Record.
In Preperation for the United States's involvement in WWI, St. Ignatius students are forced to do Marching Drills on the Mall.
First Football Game
On October 11, 1917, the first football game between St. Ignatius and another team is played. St. Ignatius wins.
The Time for a School Day during the 1922-1923 Season is from 9:00 AM to 2:25 PM, a significantly shorter day than what we have now.
St. Ignatius High School splits from John Carroll University. John Carroll moves.
The First Issue of the Eye is Published in September 1924
The St. Ignatius Wildcat Marching Band Debuts at Rhodes Field.
The St. Ignatius High School Alma Mater is written by History Teacher Jack Hearnes.
Sports at St. Ignatius are cancelled for the 1943-194 season due to "Wartime Priorities."
St. Ignatius High School Annexes St. Mary's Elementary School, later to become Loyola Hall.
Cross Country is added to the sports curriculum for the 1949-1950 Season.
St. Ignatius vs. St. Eds.
The First Football game between St. Ignatius and St. Edwards is played. St. Ignatius wins.
The Dress Code of a Collared Shirt, Khakis, a Tie, and a Suit Jacket is introduced. The Suit Jacket is later taken out.
Sullivan Gymnasium is added on to the Main Building in March 1956.
Bowling is added to the Sports Curriculum of St. Ignatius during the 1956-1957 season.
During the 1958-1959 School Year enrollment reaches over 1000 Students.
Student Council is Established. The first voting for student council president takes place on slates.
St. Mary's Razed
St. Mary's Church is Razed to make way for the Clavius Center.
The Clavius Science Center is created and opens its doors during the 1968-1969 School Year.
Wrestling is added to the St. Ignatius Sports Curriculum.
"Theme Days", such as Lumberjack Day, are created during the 1973-1974 School Year to express student individuality.
St. Ignatius High School was added to the National Historic Register in 1974.
Soccer is added to the St. Ignatius Athletic Curriculum.
Tom Healey--Best Teacher At St. Ignatius
In 1977, Thomas Healey, Believed by many to be one of the greatest teachers at St. Ignatius ever, graduated from St. Ignatius High School. He currently teaches there.
In 1979, the Tower on the Main Building was illuminated for the first and only time.
In 1979, Wasmer Field was created.
In 1979, West 30th Street became "The Mall".
Chuck Kyle is appointed as Head Football Coach in 1983. He still holds that title.
Blue Ribbon School
Beginning in the 1983-1984 School Year and continuing even now, St. Ignatius has been known as a Blue Ribbon School.
"Paw Power" Paw Prints first appear on St. Ignatius Football Players' helmets for the 1984-1985 Season.
During the 1985-1986 School Year, Computer Class became a required course for credit.
The Arrupe Neighborhood Partnership Program was founded during the 1988-1989 School Year.
In October 1988, the St. Ignatius Football team won their first State Championships. They would go on to win 9 others in subsequent years.
"The Greatest Game Ever Played"
St. Ignatius High School wins against St. Eds in triple overtime 25-24. Described as "The Greatest Grade Ever Played"
In May 1995, the first Latin Class Chariot Races were held.
The St. Ignatius Website was created in 1998.
The Crew team made Midwest Championships for the first time in 2000, and then in 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009.
The Sullivan Atrium was added for the 2001-2002 School Year.