L.A. County Fair History

Timeline created by lacfa
In History
  • 1921 Merchant Exposition

    1921 Merchant Exposition
    A merchants exposition held along the Southern Pacific Railway in downtown Pomona set the stage for things to come. Presented by Harry LaBreque, a promoter of community celebrations for Foley & Burke Shows, a railroad carnival, and Clinton B. “Jack” Afflerbaugh, a Pomona druggist and city councilman, the show consisted of exhibits in a tent and a carnival. The success of the show spurred Afflerbaugh and other local businessmen to look toward bigger things. At the time, Los Angeles County did not
  • The Forming of the Fair Board

    The Forming of the Fair Board
    Although half a dozen attempts to bring a fair to L.A. County had failed, the board set out to start the first L.A. County Fair. A fair board was formed, and Sheets was named president. Afflerbaugh was first vice president and Charles P. Curran second vice president. Other officers included treasurer Fred Reynolds and directors Fred E. Whyte and W.A. Kennedy.
  • Inaugural L.A. County Fair

    Inaugural L.A. County Fair
    The inaugural L.A. County Fair opened Oct. 17, 1922, and ran for five days through Oct. 21. The hotels of Pomona were packed as 49,461 people visited the Fair, which cost promoters $63,000 to present. All obligations were paid and personal notes were redeemed. Harness racing, chariot races and an airplane wing-walking exhibit were major highlights that year.
  • The First Buildings

    The First Buildings
    1923
    Following the success and public acceptance of the first Fair, a $75,000 bond issue was approved for the construction of permanent buildings and a grandstand for horse racing. An additional 62 acres were purchased and deeded to the county.
  • 1924

    Afflerbaugh became the Fair's first paid manager, a post he held until 1960, when he died at the age of 72. Construction was completed on a building for women's activities (home arts), fine arts shared the exhibit hall. Attendance rose to 93,163.
  • 1925

    Fair attendance topped the 100,000 mark for the first time (102,991). It also marked the first time the Fair was held in September instead of October.
  • Administration Building

    Administration Building
    The current administration building was designed by Pomona resident Peter Ficker and built at a cost of $10,000. The building served as the entrance to the Fair.
  • 1928 L.A. County Fair Extended to Six Days

    The Fair gained international popularity and was mentioned in newspapers in Sweden, France, England, Mexico and in South America. The event was expanded to six days and drew 145,062 people.
  • First Fair Queen Crowwned

    The Fair crowned its first queen. There was no formality in the selection of Edna Mae Paige, since the idea of a queen was designed for publicity purposes.
  • 1930

    "The largest exhibit building in the world" was completed at a cost of $250,000. It measured 800' by 135’, had a stage at one end and seating for 16,000 people, and was known as the "Palace of Agriculture." Attendance reached 265,213.
  • The Largest Exhibit Building

    "The largest exhibit building in the world" was completed at a cost of $250,000. It measured 800' by 135’, had a stage at one end and seating for 16,000 people, and was known as the "Palace of Agriculture." Attendance reached 265,213.
  • 1931

    The Fair was held in combination with the Southern California Fair, held for many years at Riverside. The Depression touched Pomona as it did the nation, and attendance dropped to 233,350.
  • Fair Attendance During The Depression

    The Fair was held in combination with the Southern California Fair, held for many years at Riverside. The Depression touched Pomona as it did the nation, and attendance dropped to 233,350.
  • 1932

    The Fair was presented as a tri-county fair, as the Orange County Fair joined Riverside County at the L.A. County Fair. The event remained a tri-county harvest festival through 1937. The fairgrounds, owned by the city of Pomona, and the buildings, owned by the Fair Association, were deeded to the County of Los Angeles. A new $204,000 concrete and steel grandstand was built. The structure was combined with an exhibit hall, which housed the household arts exhibit in 12,000 square feet of space. Th
  • New Concrete and Steel Grandstand Was Built

    New Concrete and Steel Grandstand Was Built
    The Fair was presented as a tri-county fair, as the Orange County Fair joined Riverside County at the L.A. County Fair. The event remained a tri-county harvest festival through 1937. The fairgrounds, owned by the city of Pomona, and the buildings, owned by the Fair Association, were deeded to the County of Los Angeles. A new $204,000 concrete and steel grandstand was built. The structure was combined with an exhibit hall, which housed the household arts exhibit in 12,000 square feet
  • Legalized wagering on horse racing

    Legalized wagering on horse racing
    Pari-mutuel wagering was legalized in California, and the Fair meeting became the first in Southern California to allow fans to bet on horse racing. Attendance leapt to 334,759 that year. Cowboy actor Monty Montana wed Louise Archer in front of the racetrack grandstand. Famous cowboy screen star Buck Jones was the best man. Montana rode to the altar aboard his trusted pinto, Comanche Spot, and Archer on Lady Spot.
  • Fair Extended to 16 Days

    Fair Extended to 16 Days
    Following a big year in 1933, the Fair was extended to 16 days. The event grew to 17 days in 1935 and continued that way every year through 1980, except 1939, when it was extended to 24 days because of rain.
  • A Lagoon Was Constructed

    A Lagoon Was Constructed
    A lagoon was constructed near the administration building, as were three new horse barns in the livestock. The grandstand added dressing rooms, a stage and a sunken bandstand. The Fair inaugurated its wine competition, which is today the longest-running county fair competition and one of the most prestigious in the nation.
  • New Arts and Crafts Building

    New Arts and Crafts Building
    A new arts and crafts building opened behind the administration building. The building was later used as a warehouse and is the current Administration II building.
  • Government aide helps construct new buildings

    Government aide helps construct new buildings
    The government’s Works Progress Administration, replacing tents used in previous years, aided construction of various buildings. The fine arts building, a new administration building, two buildings measuring 350’ x 100’ (Fairplex 5 & 6), a cafeteria (Anthony’s at the Fair-renamed Avalon in 2004) and several smaller structures were constructed. The livestock barns were destroyed by fire that year, but they were immediately rebuilt.
  • Expansion for Youth, Rabbit and Poultry Exhibits

    Expansion for Youth, Rabbit and Poultry Exhibits
    Two more 350’ x 100’ buildings (Fairplex 7 & 8) were finished for rabbits and poultry and for youth exhibits. Among the visitors to the Fair was screen star Shirley Temple.
  • Home Arts Building Constructed

    Home Arts Building Constructed
    A childcare center and a home arts building were constructed. Sculptor Lawrence Tenny Stevens won a $2,500 contest to create a sculpture in front of the fine arts building. The stone monument is a salute to the young farmers of the nation. The Citrus Empire Model Railroad Club debuted its train exhibit. The Fair was extended to 24 days because of rain, but returned to 17 days the following year.
  • Fair Operates as a Strictly Not For Profit Basis

    Fair Operates as a Strictly Not For Profit Basis
    The Los Angeles County Fair Corporation was reorganized as the Los Angeles County Fair Association. The agreement between the corporation, city of Pomona and County of Los Angeles was made at the suggestion of the federal Works Progress Administration so that there would be no question regarding the Fair’s operating on a strictly not-for-profit basis. The county Board of Supervisors turned over operation to the Fair Association and assigned a member to the Association.
  • Fire swept Agricultural Building and U.S. Army Regiments Arrive

    Fire swept Agricultural Building and U.S. Army Regiments Arrive
    The Association transferred 46 acres of land and buildings to the County of Los Angeles. On Oct. 3, only three days after the close of the Fair, the huge agricultural building was gutted by fire. On Dec. 14, just a week after Pearl Harbor, three U.S. Army regiments occupied the grounds as first units arriving for war duty.
  • World War II Brings Halt to the Fair

    World War II Brings Halt to the Fair
    World War II brought a halt to the Fair for six years and the grounds played an important part in the war effort as they were taken over by the U.S. Army. The grounds were converted into a motor base in January, and headquarters were established in the home arts building. A community of 5,428 Japanese-Americans was housed in 420 pre-fabricated temporary buildings from May 5-Aug. 24 before being relocated to other parts of the country. Pomona Ordnance Motor base was established in August.
  • Fairgrounds Become Desert Training Center

    Fairgrounds Become Desert Training Center
    The army used the grounds as a desert training center.
  • Ordnance Command Shop Established

    Ordnance Command Shop Established
    The Ordnance Command shop was established on the grounds.
  • Prisoner of War Camp Established on Fairgrounds

    Prisoner of War Camp Established on Fairgrounds
    The grounds were used as a German and Italian prisoner of war camp.
  • Prisoner of War Camp Closed

    Prisoner of War Camp Closed
    The prisoner of war camp was closed in March.
  • 35 Acres Annexed

    35 Acres Annexed
    Thirty-five acres were annexed for the establishment of a trailer park on the grounds.
  • Thummer the Pig was Introduced as the Fair's Official Mascot!

    Thummer the Pig was Introduced as the Fair's Official Mascot!
    The Fair Association and County of Los Angeles signed a 49-year lease on June 8 for the Association’s long-term use of the land and buildings. The association deeded 72 acres to the county as part of the agreement. Thummer the Pig was introduced as the Fair's official mascot. The Fair reopened after the war with a $2 million construction and reconditioning program.
  • Largest Structure West of the Mississippi is Built

    Largest Structure West of the Mississippi is Built
    The Fair reopened after the war with a $2 million construction and reconditioning program. The $750,000 reconstructed agricultural pavilion (today known as Fairplex 4), designed by Peter Ficker, replaced the burned structure. Measuring 800’ x 149’, it was the largest structure of its kind west of the Mississippi. Other new construction projects included a horse racing tote board, a tunnel under the track to the infield and new cattle and swine barns.
  • Fair Attendance tops One Million!

    Fair Attendance tops One Million!
    Attendance topped the one million mark for the first time with 1,254,503 visitors, making the event the second largest fair in the United States, surpassed only by the Texas State Fair. Proving to be the start of a trend, L.A. County Fair attendance has topped the one million plateau in all but one year since 1948.
  • Fairplex Drive was Constructed

    Fairplex Drive was Constructed
    A new county highway known as Ganesha Boulevard was constructed through what was then known as the San Jose Hills. The six-lane road ran from the grounds to the east slope of Kellogg Hill. It is now known as Fairplex Drive and links Fairplex to the San Bernardino Freeway. The Fair Association purchased 62 acres for parking lots, extending the total property to more than 400 acres, including 225 acres for parking. More than 8,200 square feet of space was added to the administration building,
  • New Sports Plaza

    New Sports Plaza
    The carnival was moved to its present location to make room for the new sports plaza. A 40-foot-high arch stretching 100 feet from side to side and colorfully lit with neon letters formed the entrance to the fun zone. A casting pool 125 feet in diameter was added in the sports plaza. A new main entrance measuring 233 feet across was established near the main parking lot.
  • World's Largest Man Made Ski Jump was Featured

    World's Largest Man Made Ski Jump was Featured
    The world’s largest man-made ski jump using artificial snow was featured at the Fair. The take-off area rose 225 feet high and sloped downward for 500 feet.
  • Landmark Clock Tower was Built

    Landmark Clock Tower was Built
    The ornate flower and garden building was constructed. The carnival was included as a permanent part of the operation, rather than on a yearly contract basis. The landmark Clock Tower was built. The Fair’s Mexican Village was constructed and is now known as Plaza de las Américas.
  • NHRA first Sanctioned Event

    NHRA first Sanctioned Event
    On April 11-12, the National Hot Rod Association held its first sanctioned event, the Southern California Championship Drag Races, at Pomona Raceway, located at a far corner of the grounds. Over the weekend, 375 cars ran 850 timed runs.
  • Fire Station and First Aid Building was Constructed

    Fire Station and First Aid Building was Constructed
    A fire station and first aid building was constructed, along with a new 100’ x 200’ building (Fairplex 8A) for the home builders’ new products show...A giant "ranchero" carving was completed by artist John Svenson, leading to the eventual development of the Fair's Court of the Redwoods. The redwood forest was completed in 1961.
  • The History of a Frisbee

    The History of a Frisbee
    A Fair exhibitor, Fred Morrison, sold flying disks at the 1955 Fair. Two college friends, Richard Knerr and Arthur Melin, were impressed by the item and negotiated the rights to manufacturing it for their small mail-order company, Wham-O. The Pluto Platter was introduced in 1957 and was renamed the Frisbee.
  • Millard Sheets Artist and Director Resigns

    Millard Sheets Artist and Director Resigns
    Millard Sheets, world-renowned artist and director of the Fair’s fine arts exhibit for 25 years, resigns. For the first time at any fair, the Ringling Bros., Barnum and Bailey Circus appeared at the 1957 L.A. County Fair.
  • Tunnel Connecting to White Avenue was Created

    Tunnel Connecting to White Avenue was Created
    A tunnel connecting the grounds with the 10,000-car parking lot opposite White Avenue was completed under White Avenue. The tunnel measures 400 feet in length.
  • Man Made Jump Covered in Artificial Snow was Presented

    Man Made Jump Covered in Artificial Snow was Presented
    Philip D. Shepherd took over as general manager, following the death of Afflerbaugh. Shepherd was the son of B. Chaffey Shepherd, who had served on the board of directors during the Fair's formative years. The Fair again presented a ski jump performance on a man-made jump covered with artificial snow.
  • NHRA holds it's Inaugural Winternationals at Pomona Raceway

    NHRA holds it's Inaugural Winternationals at Pomona Raceway
    The National Hot Rod Association held its inaugural Winternationals at Pomona Raceway in February before the largest single-day audience in the brief history of drag racing.
  • Mile-Long Monorail

    Mile-Long Monorail
    A mile-long monorail circling the core of the grounds began operation with 14 24-seat electronically operated passenger cars. Storybook Farm, now known as California’s Heritage Square, was added.
  • Clubhouse Section was added to the Grandstand

    Clubhouse Section was added to the Grandstand
    A connecting clubhouse section was added to the racetrack grandstand, providing indoor dining and outdoor terraced seating. The Sports Plaza Marina opened with water skiing demonstrations.
  • Golden Empire Mine was Introduced

    Golden Empire Mine was Introduced
    The Golden Empire Mine, a replica of the original Empire Gold Mine in Grass Valley, Calif., which operated from 1850-1956, opened and quickly became a popular Fair attraction. The mine closed in 1997.
  • Governor Pat Brown and Ronald Reagan Visit the 1966 Fair

    Governor Pat Brown and Ronald Reagan Visit the 1966 Fair
    California Governor Pat Brown and Republican gubernatorial candidate Ronald Reagan both visited the 1966 Fair.
  • New General Manager

    New General Manager
    Phil Shepherd retired as general manager and was succeeded by Ralph M. Hinds.
  • Child Development Center Opened

    Child Development Center Opened
    The one-of-a-kind Child Development Center opened its doors in 1980. It is regarded as one of the top facilities of its kind in the state of California.
  • Carnival Area Renovations

    Carnival Area Renovations
    An extra day was added to the Fair as it opened on a Thursday and hosted 18 days. Admission was free on opening day, and a weekday record of 104,890 attended the Fair. A landmark 115-foot-tall Ferris wheel was dismantled to make way for renovations in the carnival area. All permanent carnival structures, including the arching landmark Fun Zone sign, were replaced by a new carnival.
  • Ralph Hinds Appointed President and CEO

    Ralph Hinds Appointed President and CEO
    Ralph Hinds was appointed president and chief executive officer.
  • Official Fairplex name was Created

    Official Fairplex name was Created
    Fairplex 4 was reopened after a major renovation to bring additional year-round business to the grounds. The $4 million development project brought increased trade and consumer show use to 105,500 square feet of indoor exhibit space. The name of the fairgrounds was changed to Fairplex to encourage year-round use as a show and exposition complex, and the building was renamed Fairplex 4.
  • Trade and Consumer Shows become Year -Round

    Trade and Consumer Shows become Year -Round
    The subsequent success of this facility as a home for various events prompted the Fair Association to promote greater utilization of this and other facilities and to begin a renovation program designed to meet the needs of trade and consumer shows on a year-round basis. Pomona Raceway hosted the NHRA Winston Select Finals for the first time.
  • 177,612 People Visit the Fair in a Single Day!

    177,612 People Visit the Fair in a Single Day!
    Racing experienced an enormous boost, not only with attendance and handle numbers, but on the track, where the old half-mile bullring was expanded to five-eighths of a mile. A single-day record attendance of 177,612 people visited the Fair on Sept. 21.
  • Night Harness Racing Made it's Debut

    Night Harness Racing Made it's Debut
    The racetrack grandstand and clubhouse facilities were renovated and the track was renamed Fairplex Park. Lighting was added at the track as night harness racing made its seasonal debut in Pomona. The Fair's landmark food circle of restaurants was renovated and converted into a modern Food Fair, now known as Sunset Cabana. In addition, a 184-space recreational vehicle park and convenience store opened on the grounds across White Avenue.
  • Harness Racing was Discontinued

    Harness Racing was Discontinued
    After two years, harness racing was discontinued.
  • 56 Year Agreement for Continued use of Fair Grounds Made

    56 Year Agreement for Continued use of Fair Grounds Made
    The Los Angeles County Fair Association and the County of Los Angeles signed a 56-year (plus two five-year options) agreement for the Fair Association's continued use of the grounds.
  • $27 Million Bond Leads to Development

    $27 Million Bond Leads to Development
    A $27 million bond issue marked a year of major development at Fairplex. Four exhibition buildings, covering 134,400 square feet of indoor exhibit space, were renovated in buildings 5, 6, 7 and 8. The entire exhibition complex was re-landscaped with plazas, fountains, trees and flowers, and the tunnel under White Avenue was re-designed. The hill behind the flower and garden building was renovated with new roads and exhibit space...Nine new horse barns were completed.
  • Historical Trains Moved

    Historical Trains Moved
    Historical trains were moved from the barn area to their present location adjacent to the Golden Empire Mine.
  • First Thoroughbred Sale

    First Thoroughbred Sale
    Barretts Equine Sales Ltd. opened with its first thoroughbred sale. The sales pavilion was named Hinds Pavilion, honoring Fair Association president and CEO Ralph Hinds. The Fair was expanded from 18 to 24 days, and horse racing was extended from 18 to 19 days.
  • Monorail Expansion

    Monorail Expansion
    Ten new 40-seat monorail cars and a boarding station were added as the monorail system was renovated.
  • Child Development Center Merges with University of La Verne

    Child Development Center Merges with University of La Verne
    The Fairplex Child Development Center merged with the University of La Verne childcare program and the facility underwent more than $1 million in renovations following a grant from the County of Los Angeles. An additional 8,000 square feet of space and increased staff and enrollment resulted. Ground was broken in April for the on-grounds Sheraton Suites Fairplex hotel. Fair attendance hit an all-time single-season record of 1,612,097 visitors.
  • Sheraton Suites Fairplex Hotel Opens

    Sheraton Suites Fairplex Hotel Opens
    The 247-suite Sheraton Suites Fairplex hotel opened in June.
  • NHRA completes $4.5 Million Imporovements to Dragstrip

    NHRA completes $4.5 Million Imporovements to Dragstrip
    The National Hot Rod Association completed $4.5 million in improvements to the dragstrip. The L.A. County Fair added a landmark sky ride.
  • Millard Sheets Gallery Dedication

    Millard Sheets Gallery Dedication
    The fine arts’ building was dedicated as the "Millard Sheets Gallery." The food fair was converted into the Super Diner. Ralph Hinds died on July 30.
  • James E. Henwood Becomes President and CEO

    James E. Henwood Becomes President and CEO
    Shortly after the 1995 Fair and 15 months after Hinds' death, the Fair Association appointed James E. Henwood president and chief executive officer.
  • Mexican Village becomes Fiesta Village

    Mexican Village becomes Fiesta Village
    A 90-foot-high Fairplex electronic sign was erected along the San Bernardino Freeway. Nightly grandstand entertainment returned to the Fair for the first time since 1983. The landmark monorail ride and station were torn down and removed. Mexican Village was renovated and renamed Fiesta Village (in 2001 became Plaza de las Américas).
  • 75th Anniversary

    75th Anniversary
    The Fair celebrated its 75th anniversary with a 75-cent opening day admission price, attracting more than 90,000 people. Special days recognizing local communities and their heroes were introduced during the Fair. “UFO Encounters,” an attraction focusing on the public’s interest in aliens and UFOs, made its world premiere.
  • NHRA Motorsports Museum Opened

    NHRA Motorsports Museum Opened
    The NHRA Motorsports Museum opened in what was formerly used as the home arts building. The Fairplex Recreational Vehicle Park changed operation to a KOA campground affiliate.
  • Fairplex Establishes Three Non-Profit Organizations

    Fairplex Establishes Three Non-Profit Organizations
    Fairplex established three 501(c) (3) non-profit organizations: The Fairplex Child Development Center, The Millard Sheets Gallery and the Fairplex Education Foundation. The Foundations’ goal is to raise funds through grants and charitable donations to further enhance the existing educational opportunities and expand the programs to a year-round basis.
  • Fairplex News

    Fairplex News
    Fairguests were treated to a “WOW” exhibit housed in Fairplex 7A. “DinoQuest: Search for the Lost Expedition” filled all 43,000-square-feet of Fairplex 7A. Jockey J.C. Gonzalez was killed during an accident at Fairplex Park on opening day of the Fair.
  • Changes Around The Fair

    Changes Around The Fair
    Red Gate and Yellow Gate were reconfigured for one new entrance at Yellow Gate; new signage was introduced; The “WOW” exhibit in Fairplex 7A was “Expedition Earth”; horse racing received a new paddock; Thunder Alley was added on Redwood Street; grandstand entertainment appeared Fridays through Sundays throughout the Fair. The Republican presidential candidate, George W. Bush, cut the opening day ribbon.
  • Relocations

    Relocations
    Court of the Redwoods was renovated and the Ranchero carving was relocated near the Millard Sheets Gallery. Plaza de las Américas (formerly Fiesta Village) underwent a name change and a new look. The livestock area became FairView Farms to combine animals and agriculture.
  • Fairguests help raise $250,000 for Red Cross Disaster Fund to help September 11th Efforts

    Fairguests help raise $250,000 for Red Cross Disaster Fund to help September 11th Efforts
    The Fair closed for the first time since World War II when on Sept. 11 terrorists attacked the United States. It reopened on Sept. 12. On Sept. 14, Fair attendees were asked to donate $1 in lieu of regular Fair admission; through the generosity of Fairguests that day $250,000 was donated to the Red Cross Disaster Fund for the victims and families of the tragedy.
  • Barretts Equine Ltd.

    Barretts Equine Ltd.
    The Los Angeles County Fair Association signed an agreement with Magna Communications to hold the L.A. County Fair horseracing meet at Santa Anita Park. The California Horse Racing Board denied the application by a vote of 4-1. The board felt that the L.A. County Fair racing meet was of value and unique to the industry. Fairplex Equine Sales, LLC finalized an agreement to purchase the general partner interest in Barretts Equine Ltd. from Barrette Equine Sales, owned by Fred N. Sahadi.
  • Stephen C. Morgan Becomes Chairman of the Board

    Stephen C. Morgan Becomes Chairman of the Board
    James R. Kostoff, chairman of the board of the Los Angeles County Fair Association since 1983, retired and assumed the title of director emeritus. Stephen C. Morgan became the chairman of the board. The Williams fire raged in the nearby Glendora foothills during the Fair from Sept. 22-Oct. 1 consuming 37,240 acres. The 210-freeway extension opened late in November 2002 providing another easily accessible route to Fairplex. The Fair was a 17-day event, opening on a Friday.
  • Pavillion, Tower and Plaza Celebrate their 50th Anniversary

    Pavillion, Tower and Plaza Celebrate their 50th Anniversary
    The Flower & Garden Pavilion, Clock Tower and Plaza de las Américas all celebrated 50th anniversaries.
  • 2003 Headlines

    2003 Headlines
    The U.S. invaded Iraq on Thursday, March 20, 2003. The CDC expanded to add another classroom and accommodate 175 children. The NHRA Motorsports Museum was renamed Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum in honor of founder Parks on his 90th birthday in February. The Super Diner assumed the name Sunset Cabana and Barn 9A became the Big Red Barn. The Millard Sheets Gallery recreated a vignette from the 1954 House Beautiful exhibit in the gallery.
  • Creation of Cornucopia Foods LLC.

    Creation of Cornucopia Foods LLC.
    Vision and diversity were manifested with the creation of Cornucopia Foods LLC, a new business formed by the corporation to manage the Fairplex year-round food and beverage operation effective on April 1, 2004. In conjunction with the new company, Anthony’s at the Fair was renamed Avalon and underwent menu changes to complement the new name and renovations to the facility.
  • Railroad Exhibit taken Off-Site

    Railroad Exhibit taken Off-Site
    The Citrus Empire Model Railroad took its exhibit off-site in 2004. The exhibit had been located on the ground floor of the grandstand since 1949. Longtime Fair exhibition, A Tapestry of Tradition, found a new home on the ground floor of the grandstand (now called The Village on Broadway), Education Expo and America’s Kids both moved to Fairplex 7A; the annual Fair feature attraction moved to Fairplex 22. White Avenue underwent major renovations, a joint beautification effort with Fairplex.
  • Fair Becomes 18 Day Event

    Fair Becomes 18 Day Event
    The Fair became an 18-day event for the first time since 2000. New programming included closing on Mondays and Tuesdays with a fourth weekend added. With the additional weekend fifteen nights of grandstand entertainment were featured. Horse racing dates were Sept. 9-26, with Tuesdays dark and closing day on Monday. Traditionally Mondays and Tuesdays are the lowest attendance days and weekends are still the first-choice for attending events.
  • Attractions

    Attractions
    In place of a feature attraction, Winter Wonderland was devised for Fairplex 8. To have buildings numerically sequential, Fairplex 7A became Fairplex 9 and Fairplex 22 was renamed Fairplex 10. Fairplex 8 underwent extensive renovation prior to the Fair; eight luxury suites constructed on the eastside bleachers at Auto Club Raceway at Pomona anticipate completion prior to the 2006 November World Finals. The seven founding fathers of the Fair were inducted into the LACFA Hall of Fame.
  • The Los Angeles International Wine & Spirits Competition

    The Los Angeles International Wine & Spirits Competition
    New vision and mission statements were adopted by the Association (see page 7). The long-standing Wines of the World competition became The Los Angeles International Wine & Spirits Competition to better reflect its full breadth and increase its value to wine consumers and the public. The Millard Sheets Gallery, renamed in 1994, underwent another change to reflect Fairtime and year-round educational programming and goals, and is now known as Millard Sheets Center for the Arts at Fairplex.
  • Plans For New Conference Center Move Foward

    Plans For New Conference Center Move Foward
    Plans for the Trade and Conference Center move forward. A strategic plan was adopted to guide Fairplex’s future development. An 18-day Fair, closed Mondays and Tuesdays, will continue. The LACFA Hall of Fame welcomed Fred Freehling, Clyde Houston and Robert Lewis. Wally Parks, founder of the National Hot Rod Association passed away Sept. 28, 2007.
  • Groundbreaking

    Groundbreaking
    Groundbreaking for the Trade and Conference Center is anticipated and completion slated by the 2009 Fair. This highlyanticipated project will allow Fairplex to expand its year-round business with additional space for conferences, seminars and social functions. The Child Development Center began expansion to provide space for 24 more youngsters and two new classrooms. Fairplex officials continue to explore the creation of a world-class thoroughbred training facility.
  • The LACFA Hall of Fame Grows to 21 Inductees

    The LACFA Hall of Fame Grows to 21 Inductees
    The LACFA Hall of Fame welcomed Sarah Ludwick, Wally Parks and Millard Sheets, bringing the total number of inductees to 21. The 18-day Fair with Mondays and Tuesdays closed proves popular and continues in 2008.
  • Expansions

    Expansions
    The Fair expanded its programming opening Labor Day weekend and adding five days, continuing with Mondays and Tuesdays closed. Horse racing became a 15-day meeting closed the first two Mondays and Tuesdays. Stakes races were reduced to 15 with two new stakes added. A second sky ride (the original was added in 1993) joined the equation with one ride getting a new route transporting visitors from the Clock Tower to La Grande Wheel in the carnival and the second from Sunset Cabana to Fairplex 9.
  • Renovations bring Finish Line Sports Grill

    Renovations bring Finish Line Sports Grill
    Hinds Pavilion at Barretts underwent renovation in early 2009 and emerged in early May as Finish Line Sports Grill, a sports themed bar & grill and satellite wagering destination. The Clock Tower restrooms and bank were dismantled. Trams inside the grounds were discontinued, parking lot trams continued. A difficult 2008 economy continued into 2009.
  • Moving Forward

    Moving Forward
    The LACFA moved forward with groundbreaking for the long-anticipated conference center in February 2010, with completion anticipated mid-2011; a new footprint was adapted for the 2010 L.A. County Fair that included moving Yellow Gate closer to the grounds, opening the Red Gate entrance and relocating the midway; the grandstand pavilion was removed and all shopping areas were re-located to the shopping area buildings and nearby grounds locations.
  • Fair Becomes a 23-Day Event

    Fair Becomes a 23-Day Event
    The Fair again opened Labor Day weekend with a 23-day event, closing subsequent Mondays and Tuesdays. Horse racing hosted 15 days. The circle of restaurants most currently named Sunset Cabana and the warehouses located near the lagoon were eliminated. Onsite parking for year-round events now occupies the newly vacated spaces. A challenging national economy continues.