Franklin st  1100 w block (1921)

Historic West Franklin Street Evansville, IN

  • Period: to

    Historic West Franlkin Street Evansville IN

  • Laval Block Buliding

    Laval Block Buliding
    This buliding was erected for Dr. John Laval. The plan consisted of six, individual , ground floor shops with living quarters above. Amoung the first tenants were baker and confectioner August J. Ritter, and William Scherffius who sold boots, shoes, and dry goods.
  • Rosenberger Building

    Rosenberger Building
    The Rosenberger Building was built for wholesale and retail grocer August Rosenberger in 1890. By 1925 John Heldt, William Heldt, and George Voelker took over ownership of the buliding and sold farm machinery from it. Today the buliding is home to The Gerst Haus Restaurant.
  • Lorenz Building

    Lorenz Building
    Druggist John W. Lorenz had this building erected for $3000 in 1883. It served as a pharmacy with living quarters above.
  • Simmon's Hardware Store

    Simmon's Hardware Store
    This building housed a three story hardware store until 1909, and in later years retail furniture businesses.
  • Curry Building

    Curry Building
    This building housed a drugstore, and a merchant store specializing in dry goods and "gent's furnishings." With it's limestone trim, stone carvings, and arched Romanesque-style windows it offers one of the more unusual commercial facades in the city.
  • Gerke Building

    Gerke Building
    The entire cost of the 40x110 foot building cost $25,000. Theodore Gerke, for whom the building was constructed, was in the drugstore business.
  • West Side Bank Building

    West Side Bank Building
    The buliders wanted the structure to stand for the tradition and soundness of the young bank. The bank continued to thrive trhough the teens, but bacame a casualty during the depression.
  • Conen Commercial Block

    Conen Commercial Block
    The ground floor of this building contained the Kresent 5 & Dime Store. In addition to retail use, the building had space for other uses. On the second and third floors were offices and a small meeting room. The rear section of the structure was a two-story-high hall designed to accomodate large social gatherings.
  • Hose House #5

    Hose House #5
    Desined for the city and compeleted in 1907, Number 5 with old Number 7 engine company provided full fire protection service for the growing West Side.
  • Jacob J. Folz Jr. Commercial Block

    Jacob J. Folz Jr. Commercial Block
    This two story wide building was occupied by the Schuler Implement Company under a long-term tenancy which extended into the late 1920's.
  • Carnegie Library West Branch Library

    Carnegie Library West Branch Library
    The building was completed with Carnegie funding in late 1912 on a block of city owned land dedicated in the 1837 Lamasco Plat for park puposes. The architects of the $25,000 structure were Clifford Shopell & Company, who produced a polished interpretatation of the Beux Arts style by using a simple rectangular massing of red brick and limestomne enhanced by rich classically inspired terra cotta ornanmentation from Chicago.
  • Parnes Building

    Parnes Building
    Bernard Parnes owner, dealt in general merchandise, and the name of his business was the Crown Department Store. The buliding was touted as having all of the conveniences of the uptown Main Street business houses, being equipped with gas, electric lights, and running water.
  • Franklin Bank & Trust Company

    Franklin Bank & Trust Company
    This 1927 building cost $100,000 to build and housed the Franklin bank & Trust Company, the West Side Bulidng, Loan, & Savings Association, and the West Side Real Estate Company.