History of Ignacio, Colorado By ignaciovoices 1833 Chief Ouray is born. Revered today as one of the Ute's great leaders. He led the Southern Ute Tribe in the mid 1800s and maintained a friendship between the tribe and whites. 1844 Chief Ignacio is born. Ute leader in 1869 and 1890. 1850 First Ute Agency opened at Taos. It soon closed due to lack of funds. 1866 First school is built in Ignacio. 1873 Utes cede San Juan Mountain area by terms of Brunot Agreement. 1877 Southern Ute Agency is created. Served the Capotes, Monaches and Weeminuche (all Utes), and was located at the Rio de los Pinos. Aug 24, 1880 Chief Ouray dies. 1895 Ignacio leads Weeminuche in protest. Leads group to western part of Southern Ute Reservation in protest against the government's policy of land allotment. 1898 Land not owned by Utes taken by white settlers. Land taken as part of homestead. 1903 Catholic Church built. 1908 Two tracts of land merge to create Ignacio. One tract was owned by H.L. Hall and the other was owned by Hans Aspaas. Jun 26, 1909 First plot of Ignacio filed with LaPlata Country Clerk. Filed by Henry L. Hall. 1911 Ignacio Bank built. 1911 Protestant Church built. Jul 2, 1913 Town of Ignacio incoperated. Dec 9, 1913 Death of Chief Ignacio. 1917 Aspaas store/hotel burns. 1924 American Indians become United States citizens. 1925 Reburial of Ouray. 1929 Movie theater opens. Established by George Anderson. Jan 8, 1931 Fire destroys Bryan and Wyat stores. Fire started in the Wyat hardware store from coal being left unattended, and spread to the adjacent Bryan store and caused $20,000 in damages. 1933 Leonard C. Burch born. Influential chairman, council member, and Sun Dance Chief. 1934 Passage of Indian Reorganization Act by Congress. Commonly called the Wheeler-Howard Act. 1936 Tribal Council established. Created as part of the Indian Reorganization Act. 1936 Death of Buckskin Charlie. He was succeeded by Antonio Buck. 1937 Restoration Act returns 222,016 acres of land to the Southern Utes. 1938 Restoration Act returns 30,000 acres of land to the Ute Mountain Utes. 1947 The Phillips Mercantile store established. Building had been built by Burns in 1913, and purchased from U.G. McJunkin. The Philips owned it until their deaths in 1981. 1947 Closing of smaller, rural schools. 1948 Drilling of the first gas fields. 1950 Construction of new junior high school and high school in Ignacio. 1950 Utes win judgment from U.S. Government for over $5 million in forced land sales. 1951 Utes begin to receive money from gas leases. 1954 Ute Rehabilitation Program created. 1955 Two business owned by Hispanos - Pool Hall and Barber Shop. 1956 Closing of the Southern Ute Indian School. 1956 The Film, "Around the World in 80 Days" filmed in Ignacio. 1956 Congress appropriates first money to build the Navajo Reservoir. 1961 Last hereditary chief, Antonio Buck Sr., dies. Jul 2, 1963 Golden Anniversary of the Corporation of the Town of Ignacio. 1964 Navajo Reservoir is complete. Rosa, Los Martinez, Arboles and Rio de Los Pinos covered with waters impounded from dam. 1970 "Ignacio Chieftain" Newspaper closes. Retired editor named Fay Jones shown in photograph. 1972 Pino Nuche Purasa Motel opens. Later replaced by the Sky Ute Casino. 1991 First library opens. Originally named the Butch McClanahan Memorial Library. 1993 Sky Ute Casino Opens Dec 10, 1996 First annual Leonard C. Burch day celebrated. Introduced by Councilman Ray C. Frost. 2003 Leonard C. Burch dies. 2007 New library building opens. Re-named the Ignacio Community Library.