Stradbroke Island History By Tkuiper Jan 1, 1770 James Cook sights Minjerribah Captain James Cook sights Minjerribah while sailing around Australia Period: Jan 1, 1770 to Jan 1, 1950 Stradbroke island history Jan 1, 1803 Matthew flinders lands on Minjerribah. Matthew Flinders set foot on north stradbroke in search of fresh water. Apr 16, 1823 Pamphlett, Finnegan and Parsons shipwrecked Three timbergetters, Pamphlett, Finnegan and Parsons were stranded on Stradbroke and were taken in by the local Aboriginals. Apr 16, 1827 Minjerribah renamed Stradbroke. Minjerribah was renamed Stradbroke Island by Governor Darling in reverence of Captain J.H. Rous, son of the Earl of Stradbroke. Apr 16, 1847 Sinking of the Sovereign. When the British ship 'Sovereign' sank, local aborigines came to their aid. Apr 16, 1850 Fishing becomes a major industry. Fishing omn stradbroke became a major industry, with catches of fish and dugong. Sep 16, 1894 North and South Stradbroke separated. With the aid of explosive and severe storm, Stradbroke went from being one island to two. Apr 16, 1896 Marie Christesen charged with manslaughter. Marie Christesen was charged with murder, later reduced to masnlaugther for beating her 5 year old daughter Cassy to death for swimming with boys. Apr 16, 1901 Oyster fishing established. Oyster fishing was the major seafood in queensland until a plague of mud worm almost ruined the entire crop. Apr 16, 1902 Prosperity sinks Tje British ship prosperity sank, causing many deaths. Apr 16, 1930 Tourism brought to Stradbroke Bert Clayton brings trourism to the island, letting guests stay in tents, and eventually one room cottages. Apr 16, 1943 Centaur torpedoed off Stradbroke. The Australian Hospital ship was torpedoed, leaving only 64 of 332 people alive. Apr 16, 1949 Sand mining established. Zinc Corp set up sand mining on the island, giving many of the people on the island jobs.