Toowoomba History

By ejack68
  • Allan Cunning ham assisted Philip Parker King

    Allan Cunning ham assisted Philip Parker King in his survey of the Qld coastline
  • John Sterry

    1826 8 January- John Sterry Baker fled into the bush
  • John Sterry Baker

    John Sterry Baker fled into the bush
  • Allan Cunning ham assisted Philip Parker

    Allan Cunning ham assisted Philip Parker King in his survey of the Qld coastline.
  • Allan Cunningham left Segenhoe

    Allan Cunningham left Segenhoe in the Hunter Valley, NSW when setting out north and discovering the Darling Downs.
  • Allan Cunningham left Segenhoe

    Allan Cunningham left Segenhoe in the Hunter Valley, NSW when setting out north and discovering the Darling Downs.
  • Allan Cunningham

    Allan Cunningham discovered the Darling Downs
  • Allan Cunningham located Spicer’s Gap

    Allan Cunningham located Spicer’s Gap from3.2 km to the west but he did not penetrate it.
  • Allan Cunningham located Cunningham’s gap

    Allan Cunningham located Cunningham’s gap by climbing Mt Mitchell as he approached from the Moreton Bay District
  • Leslie’s main party

  • The first head station

    The first head station was established by the Leslie brothers at Toolburra This was the first permanent pastoral settlement in present day QLD
  • John Sterry Bake

    John Sterry Baker sentenced to the Moreton Bay Settlement for some obscure offence
  • Sir George

    Sir George Ferguson Bowen, the first governor of the Colony of Queensland, visited the Downs.
  • Sir George

    Ferguson Bowen, the first governor of the Colony of Queensland, visited the Downs.
  • January with 285 voters.

    The first municipal elections for Toowoomba took place in January with 285 voters. It resulted in the election of William Henry Groom, “Father of Toowoomba” as mayor and he with his alderman began the task of running the municipality. One of the council’s first acts was to petition the Colonial Government to grant it land for the erection of a town hall.
  • John Robert

    John Robert “Jackie” Howe was born on Canning Downs near Warwick
  • Word was received from the Colonial Government

    Word was received from the Colonial Government by the Toowoomba Municipal Council that allotment 2 of section 24in James Street was to be set aside for a town hall. This was the first town hall built in QLD. The cost was 435 pounds( $870)
  • The first train reached Toowoomba

    The first train reached Toowoomba from Ipswich, taking 6 hours to complete the journey.
  • The railway

    The railway to Toowoomba was opened
  • John Boland

    John Boland and Henry Neale both claimed to be mayor of Drayton.
  • Mr James Taylor

    Mr James Taylor bought Clifford House.
  • Toowoomba’s swamps

    Toowoomba’s swamps were drained.
  • Warwick’s early school

  • Arthur Hodgson

  • The Royal Bull’s Head Inn

    The Royal Bull’s Head Inn became a private residence.
  • The Margaret Street post office

    The Margaret Street post office was opened. The building cost 5000 pounds ($10 000); the clock cost 250 pounds ($500)
  • The railway

    The railway to Roma was opened.
  • The death

  • Tor House was built

  • jackie Howe

    jackie Howe, at Isis Downs Station, Blackall, shore 321 sheep in 8 hours 40 minutes. He established a record never to be equalled by blade shearers. At Barcaldine Downs, using machines for the first time, Jackie Howe shore 370 sheep in eight hours. Even with the introduction of mechanical shears, Jackie’s record stood for 58 years. In 1950 Ted Rieck shore 326 sheep on a Julia Creek property. Jackie Howe who was born in Warwick became immortalised through the low-necked sleeveless, flannel s
  • Toowoomba

    Toowoomba declared a city.
  • Eton Vale Station

  • Eton Vale

  • Cunningham’s Gap

    Cunningham’s Gap road was opened.
  • The Royal Bull’s Head Inn was acquired

    The Royal Bull’s Head Inn was acquired by the National Trust of QLD.
  • Lieutenant Gorman, Commandant

    Lieutenant Gorman, Commandant of the Moreton Bay Settlement, left the settlement to visit the Darling Downs, led by John Sterry Baker