-
-
The Norman, Robert de Tosny came to England with William the Conqueror in 1066. In 1071 Edwin, Earl of Mercia, was assassinated and his lands distributed amongst William's followers. Robert de Tosny was granted the manor of Bradley and one third of the king's rents in Stafford. He went on to build Stafford Castle. Tosny is nowadays a little village, population 677, ten miles south of Rouen in the north of France
-
there were 14 villagers, 12 smallholders and 6 slaves. Smallholders were reasonably independent farmers, but still owed service to the lord.
-
The central part of the church, form the 12th Century is the oldest remaining section. Although Norman, it was built on an earlier Anglo Saxon building
-
The Bigod family owned the manor of Bradley in the 13th C. The Bigods were noted for, amongst other things, being the the 1st Earls of Norfolk and owners of Framlingham Castle in Suffolk, taking part in the release of Richard the Lionheart and the signing of the Magna Carta
-
1216-1272 Bigod Family In 1288 William Bigod was the owner.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
The tower was built in the late 14th Century in the English Perpendicular style
-
-
29
October
1361 -
-
-
The Bartholemew family were owners of Great Bradley Manor for over 100 years. Brooksby was Sheriff of Leicestershire in 1411 and again in 1420, and member of five parliaments between 1410 and 1435. The picture shows the family coat of arms
-
-
-
-
The Broksby family remained for over 100 years
-
-
She was mother of King Henry VII, born when she was just 13. She owned the land between East Green and the River. This land then passed over to St John's College in whose ownership it remained until recently. It is now in private ownership. The twin cottages on the Newmarket side of the village, called Str John's Cottages are a reminder of the past. She helped found Christ's College and St John's College in Cambridge. Lady Margaret Hall, the first women's college at Oxford University, was named
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
The treble bell bears no inscription, so its origins are unknown, but authorities claim that this is almost certainly a pre-Reformation bell (ie pre 1540) but no older than 1300 (according too one of the repairers). It weights over 5 hundredweight and is over 30 inches in diameter. The note it rings is C sharp
-
-
-
The Soames' owned Great Bradley manor in the 16th C. They also owned a house in Hatton Garden and land in London, and eventually had land and interests in Tobago. Thomas' son was to become Sir Stephen Soames, the Lord Mayor of London and Lord of the Staple, which means he sat on the Wool Sack. The family commissioned Vermuyden to prepare plans to drain the fens.
The picture is of the monument dedicated to the Soames family in Little Thurlow church -
-
The second bell, according to Raven ('The Church Bells of Suffolk - 1890 edition') dates from 1576. It weighs over 6 hundredweight and is 33 inches in diameter. The note is B+. It has an inscription stating it was made in Bury St Edmunds by the Stefanyz [Stephen] Tonni workshop in in 1576
-
-
-
-
1627 Sir William was a resident of Little Thurlow
-
-
-
-
Sir William's son, also William, put the manor in trust to his wife for her lifetime, and thence to other family members
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
The Brand family became Lords Dacre and later Viscounts Hampden.
-
The Brand family owned Great Bradley manor during the 18th and 19th Centuries. Thomas Brand was, at one time, the owner of Great Bradley Manor. He was an MP. His son, also Thomas Brand, became 20th Baron Dacre. Their descendents became the Viscounts Hampden two generations later. The picture shows Sir Henry Bouverie William Brand, 1st Viscount Hampden
-
-
-
St. John's College map dated 1793 as a Post Mill and was rebuilt as a Tower Mill in 1839 for the sum of £153. 4s. 2d.
-
-
-
1815 Freehold of land acquired by Philip Frost, Blacksmith 1837 Philip Frost sold to William Chapman, Butcher
-
-
-
-
-
-
Post Mill and was rebuilt as a Tower Mill in 1839 for the sum of £153. 4s. 2d.
-
-
-
1842: The Crown Inn is known to have existed in 1842, for a Tithe Map of that date denotes the owner of "The Crown Public House Cottages and Pastures" as being William Paxman,
-
-
1844: William Barker (also a wheelwright)
-
-
1855: Samuel Collett [whose gravestone, opposite, is near the south porch of the church.
-
1855: Richard Fredick Paxman was the landlord at least until 1874. (In 1861 the census records Richard to be 50 years old and living at he Crown with his wife Hester, aged 52; daughter Eliza, aged 18; father William aged 84 and Richard Frederick, grandson , aged 3)
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
The organ wasn't moved to this chuirch until early in 20th C though
-
Current school building opens (now the village hall)
-
-
-
1882 Fuller Chapman to John Price, Brewer (when it first became licensed property)
-
Nathan Gooch was the blind landlord of The Fox public house. Strangers, unaware of his disability, would be astounded to learn that he was blind, for he would serve them with their drinks, take their money and give them change with the confidence and assurance of a sighted person. His gravestone is in the Churchyard
-
-
1887: Ann Richardson is shown as the landlord and the pub was bought by the Greene King with Kedington Brewery
-
On Wednesday, 22nd June, the day was observed chiefly as a holiday. The number of parishioners being just 300, 280 met on the Square opposite the Fox Inn at a quarter before 3 o'clock, headed by the Rector, the Clerk and the band playing 'God Save the Queen', the rear being brought up by the Donors of the Feast. Those people marched to the Parish Churchyard where a short service, authorised by the Archbishop of Canterbury, was held, the Church being too Small to accommodate so many on such a hot
-
-
1891: By now Christopher Richardson was landlord (it was known then as the Rose and Crown), 1892: Richard Hayward was shown as landlord
-
-
Last of four brothers who were Rectors of the Parish. He served from 1892 - 1920. He was, without doubt, the greatest "character" of all the Rectors of our church. He is reputed to have had coins made inscribed "1 pint" and "1/2 pint". The story goes that if the male members of his congregation attended Church once a day they were given a1/2 pint token and, if twice a day, then they were given a 1 pint token. These tokens could be exchanged at the pub for the relative quantity of beer! The fami
-
-
-
The Parish Council was formed under the Local Government Act 1894, and held its first meeting on 14th December 1894. The Reverend W. B. C. Wilder was appointed Chairman, a post he held for 38 years until his death in 1932.
-
-
Fred Templeman appears in the 1901 Census of Great Bradley. He is 9 years old and living with his sisters and recently widowed father in Fox Farm, next to the Fox Inn. He grew up to be a famous jockey and racehorse trainer. The family arrived in Great Bradley about 1889 and Fred left home for Lambourn, Berkshire, to begin his jockey's apprentice c.1904. He had his first ride in 1905, aged 13.
Fred's greatest triumph as a jockey was winning the Derby in 1919 on Grand Parade in it's debut season -
-
In 1908, Jo Nice decided to have extensive renovations carried out on the mill, and for this he employed Hunts, the millwrights and General Engineers, of Soham. (Hunts were well known millwrights and they worked on most of the mills in this area from 1836 to 1954, when their business was sold). The renovations had almost been completed when a bad thunderstorm occurred, causing the miller and millwrights to take shelter in Mill House. A few minutes later, a flash of lightning struck the sails, an
-
-
-
-
A black and white silent movie made in the USA. The plot involves an affair with a Mr Bradley (actor Edward Ellis) and his stenographer, Lola. When she becomes pregnant Bradley blames his business partner, Collier. Lola dies after having her baby, and not long after, Bradley is found dead. Collier said that he and Bradley were fighting, and Bradley pulled a gun. They struggled, the gun went off, and Bradley was killed.
-
Rt. Hon. Thomas Walter Viscount Harpden (Lord of the Manor) and the Rt. Hon. Katherine Mary Viscountess Hampden by Greene King in 1919.
-
-
Charles was the father of Baroness Ryder of Warsaw (1923-2000),formerly Sue Ryder, known for the care homes
-
-
Sue Ryder, or Baroness Ryder of Warsaw (1923-2000), is most well known for her care homes. Charles Foster Ryder was her father and he owned Great Bradley Hall. Her brother, Stephen, lived in Great Bradley Hall
-
-
-
Last of four brothers who were Rectors of the Parish. He served from 1892 - 1920. He was, without doubt, the greatest "character" of all the Rectors of our church. He is reputed to have had coins made inscribed "1 pint" and "1/2 pint". The story goes that if the male members of his congregation attended Church once a day they were given a1/2 pint token and, if twice a day, then they were given a 1 pint token. These tokens could be exchanged at the pub for the relative quantity of beer! The fami
-
-
-
1937: Nathan Gooch Nathan Gooch is remembered today as being the blind landlord. Strangers, unaware of his disability, would be astounded to learn that he was blind, for he would serve them with their drinks, take their money and give them change with the confidence and assurance of a sighted person. His gravestone is in the Churchyard.
-
-
Maria is recorded as having died, aged 90 at Great Bradley Rectory. She was widow of Major Lever Robert Rowbottom, former Wigan Coroner
-
-
-
-
The Parish Council was re-formed in 1946, with the Reverend E. S. Barrington-Barnes as Chairman, but the minutes show that only two meetings were held.
-
-
-
(Richard) Stephen Ryder was owner of the manor
-
-
-
R. S. Ryder was appointed Chairman in 1955, and held this post for the 40 years to 1995.
-
In March 1953, Mr. and Mrs. Beavis bought the Crown House, and it was re-opened as a Post Office by Mrs. A.R. Beavis on 2nd October, 1965.
-
I wanted to inform you that Mr. Nathan Cecil Gooch (my father) took over "The Fox" from my grandfather " Nathan Gooch" in or around 1957. He and my mother, Violet Gooch ran this establishment until early 1967 when they retired. Unfortunately, 8 weeks after his retirement, my father died of a heart attack
-
-
-
Rev Ian Charnock, on his departure, Great Bradley Rectory sold
-
-
The new housing development, called Clarendale, is built between 1966 and 1968 on the old cricket square More on Clarendale
-
-
The charity was created to generate funds to turn the old school building into the village hall
-
-
On 19th September 1976, Mr. and Mrs. Tony Knight took possession of the property, and Mrs. Knight became sub-postmistress. It had two petrol pumps for many years, the petrol having been changed from Esso to Bulldog in the late 1970s. These pumps, together with the shop, provided key facilities for the village. All are now gone.
-
-
1986 David Pugh is Landlord of The Fox untill it closed
-
A major service and repair of the church bells was carried out Reort on Repais
-
-
-
-
-
-
Saxonsprings High Society was a Lhasa Apso champion, pictured here winning Best-in-Show at the Driffield Championship Show in 1993, out of an entry of 9,010 dogs! She is one of the few Lhasas to win Best-in-Show. at an all breeds Championship show. Daughter of Champion Saxonsprings Hackensack (the only Lhasa to have ever won Best-In-Show, at Crufts).
She lived in Great Bradley for most of her 16 years from 1987 - 2004. Bred by the late Jean Blyth, she came to the village aged just 8 weeks old -
-
-
Click here for pictures of the event</a>http://greatbradley.weebly.com/sports-day-1990.html
-
-
-
In 1997 St Mary's became part of the Stourhead Benefice
-
-
In June 1988, Messrs. R. S. and C. W. C. Ryder of Great Bradley Farms announced the intention to undertake a development at Fox Farm, and to relocate the farming business away from the centre of the village. It was proposed that 25 houses would be built at Fox Farm, and a separate 3.5 acre recreation ground adjacent to the development would be made available. Villagers were invited to a meeting in the Village Hall on 13th June 1988, at which an outline of the scheme was shown. Local press report
-
-
-
-
First Website for the Village created by Rowan
-
Charles is the son of Stephen
-
New village web site created
-
-
More...A 'grove' of native tree speciaes was planted at the far end of the recreation ground in Jan 2005. The Stour Valley Trust was consulted on the appropriateness of species to be included and about 225 small trees (or whips) and 25 larger saplings were planted out
-
R Sylvester-Bradley is Parish Council Chair
-
-
Childrens Play Equipment was installed on the Recreation Ground after local fundraising took place and the drainage to the area was improved. The equipement included swings, basket ball hoop, a slide, a 'roundabout', sit-in train and an obstacle course
-
3rd version of Village website goes live. This time hosted byWeebly
-
A burst pipe flooded the village hall, which meant it was out of action for at least 6 months
-
List of RectorsRev Hollis is appointed vicar of all the churches in the Stourhead Benefice
-
Essex and Suffolk Water have a proposal called the Abberton Reservoir Scheme in place. The overall aim of the Abberton Reservoir Scheme is to enlarge the capacity of the reservoir by 60%, and to provide enough water to fill it for future customer supply. Of interest to Great Bradley is the fact that the water that currently flows down the Kirtling Brook and in to the Stour, will be able to go in a new 15km pipeline from Kirtling to Wixoe instead. The aim of this is to ensure that enough water ca
-
The village hall was re-opened after a disasterous flood in January 2011. The whole of the floor had to be relaid
-
The villlage celebrated the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II with a series of events including a hog roast, childrens tea party, unveiling of a new flagpole and games on the recreation area.
-
The River Stour pipeline from Kedington to Wixoe is completed with remarkably little fuss
-
Map of Streetlights in Gt BradleyAll streetlights in the village controlled by the County Council will be switched off from 12.00 midnight to 5.30 am. Some lights are controlled by the district council, These are not affected.
-
-
An interpretation board was erected by Great Bradley Bridge near the river. Over the last months members of the Parish Council have designed an interpretation panel for the village. This has been put together to tell both the increasing numbers of walkers, and villagers, about the surrounding area and the walks available. It includes text, a map and several pictures of our beautiful surroundings. The panel has been funded in part by Essex and Suffolk Water Abberton Scheme Neighbourhood Fund
-
-
Wedding of Meg and Charlie. This was the first wedding in the church for a long time
-
An exhibition was held at the Village Hall on Friday 8th August. There were photo displays and video footage, as well as lots of information; and in addition there was also be a number of general interest items and pictures from the village archives
-
A living willow sculpture was planted on the recreation ground near the play area
-
A Facebook group was created for the village. Within a year there were 150 members
-
Allotments were created on Paxman's Field off Matthews Lane, for the benefit of residents
-
The First Big Lunch event was held on the Recreation Ground. Rotten weather - but good fun
-
The first Open Gardens event was held in Great Bradley. It raised funds for the village hall.
-
Broadband speeds went up from a mximum of 4Mb/s to 65Mb/s
-
Conservation Plan
installation of woody debris bunds (sourced from woods here at Great Bradley) in about 70 different places along the river from Water Lane to Little Bradley bridge. The woody debris will act as flow deflectors creating, over time, more complex river habitats and markedly improving the ecology of the river. This forms part of a wider conservation plan for the Gt Bradley estate -
-
A Defibulator was Installed on the outside wall of the Village Hall and one of the village residents provided instruction on its use
-
As the village has no pub, a Portable pub was hired out once a month over the summer season and it proved a big hit!
-
The Church Tower was open during the annual village fete
-
The village archive collection started to be digitised and items placed on a shared server
-
Better weather this time!
-
The village Art Group passed on their skills to young people in the village
-
Some land at Pond House was sold off to build 'Bradley House', the first new house in the village for some years
-
To raise funds for Village Hall
-
A photo competiton was run by Nikki Stroud and Alison McClosky. The theme was 'Great Bradley' of course! Thge best pictures were incorporated into a village calendar for 2019
-
A wine tasting evening was held to raise funds for the village hall
-
Big Lunch on the Recreation Ground to celebrate Prince Harry's marriage to Megan Markle
-
Written and directed by village resident Anne Suggs, with a cast of villagers
-
The village players returned for another audience participation murder mystery called a Christmas Ghost Story
-
Held in the paddock at the top of Hall Road
-
An exhibition of the village archives and of WWI memories was held in the village hall. https://greatbradley.weebly.com/wwi-centenary.html
-
A successful Christmas Craft Fair was held in order to raise funds for the village hall
-
-
A big pic-nic was held for everyone on the recreation ground
-
A guided tour round the Great Bradley farm to learn how the area is managed
-
The Village Players entertained everyone with their third play, a murder mystery entitled The Curious Case of the Green Courgette
-
A games evening was held to raise funds for the village hall
-
Full English Breakfast served in the Village Hall, to raise funds for the hall
-
A quiz night was held to raise funds for the village
-
Bonfire & Fireworks held on the paddock at the top of Hall Road
-
A Christmas Craft Fiar was held to raise funds for the village hall
-
-
-
VE Day Commemorated the 75th anniversay of the end of WWII. Beacuse of Covid restrictions people celebrated individually and decorated their houses
-
One of the villagers had her wedding cancelled because of the Covid pandemic. She had ordered packets of sunflowers for her guests, so offred them round the village instead. People enjoyed the competition betwen the growers