U.S. History Timeline 1700-1800

  • The Great Awakening

    During the 1730's and 1740's, major religious revivals spread all across America, winning many souls over to Christ, in what became known as the Great Awakening
  • George Whitefield and Jonathan Edwards

    George Whitefield travels around America preaching sermons during the 1740's, a practice that became known as circuit riding. Jonathan Edwards preaches his famous sermon titled 'Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God'. In this sermon, he strongly warns his congregation of their dire need for salvation and of their inevitable demise and damnation if they don't repent of their sins.
    Whitefield and Edwards are generally credited as the primary and most effective preachers during the Great Awakening.
  • The French and Indian War

    Native American's who were allied with the French in Canada started raiding American colonies and destroying them, taking captives with them back to the French to be held for ransom. Britain sent troops over to help the British American colonies, and the French and Indian War, or the Seven Years War ensued. The war lasted from 1754 to 1763, at which point a peace treaty was signed.
  • The Stamp Act

    The Stamp Act was a tax that Britain passed requiring all documents, newspapers, and even playing cards, and more to have a stamp on them. Britain was the one who sold the stamps in an attempt to make back some lost revenue from the French and Indian War. Colonists thought that this tax was unjust, and so they revolted. This eventually led to the events of the Boston Massacre
  • The Boston Massacre

    Colonists in Boston, Massachusetts began insulting and throwing things at British soldiers who were outside the customs house. The soldiers had been sent to enforce acts such as the Stamp Act. The crowd got so violent that the British soldiers fired their guns in self defense, killing five people. However, as news traveled the story got twisted, and many colonists believed that the British fired on a peaceful crowd, making many colonists hate the British.
  • The Boston Tea Party

    Tensions brew between the American colonies and the British when Britain attempts to place high tariffs on imported tea in America to make back some of the money that was spent on helping the colonies fight the French and Indian War. A group of colonists in Boston, Massachusetts disguise themselves as Native Americans and board the ship that the tea is being stored on in the harbor. The colonists throw the tea over board into the ocean. This event became know as the Boston Tea Party.
  • The War For Independence

    The War For Independence, or the Revolutionary War started because the American colonies thought that Britain was being unjust by not representing them in Parliament, overtaxing them, and taking over their way of life and government, by sending British soldiers and delegates to be in charge. For these reasons, America declared war on Britain.
  • The Battles of Lexington and Concord

    The Battles of Lexington and Concord were two major American victories over the British. These victories inspired more colonists to join the war effort against the British to gain their independence.
  • The Declaration of Independence is signed

    Representatives of the American colonies sign the Declaration of Independence, officially renouncing their loyalty and nationality to Britain, and becoming their own independent government, because of unjustness such as over taxation on many goods imported from Britain.
  • The Revolutionary War Ends

    The Revolutionary War ends with America emerging victorious. Both sides sign a peace treaty called the Treaty of Paris.
  • A New Government is Formed: The Constitution Convention

    A group of 55 delegates met in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to revise the Articles of Confederation, a version of government that frankly just didn't work. However, a new document ends up be written; The U.S. Constitution. The Constitution is an extensive legal document that addresses rules and procedures that are to take place and adhered to in the government, including the separating of national legal power into three distinct branches. Legislative, Executive, and Judicial.
  • The Bill of Rights and the Constitution Ratified

    There was some concern among some delegates and citizens of America that the government could easily become corrupted if the Constitution did not contain a written Bill of Rights, and so one was added, containing Ten Amendments that stated a citizen's rights. With everyone now happy, the Constitution is ratified.
  • The First National Bank

    The first national bank is founded in America. 20 percent of it is owned by the federal government, and the other 80 percent is help by private investors.