Quebec’s Padlock LawPadlock Law•
The Quebec government introduced an Act to protect the province against communist propaganda.
• The Padlock law prohibited any person from spreading communist propaganda, whether it’s printing, publishing or distributing.
• Any person found guilty could be sent to jail and there property could be “Padlocked.”
Spies in Canada: Gouzenko AffairGouzenko• Igor Gouzenko was a clerk for the soviet embassy for Canada; the soviets later broke in to his apartment trying to get the documents he stole from the embassy.
• Gouzenko was taken to RCMP Headquarters for questioning, he turned over the stolen documents and this revealed the spy network in Canada and there plan to steal nuclear secrets.
• This had a huge effect on Canada and anti-communist feelings began to surface.
International Alliances: NATO- North Atlantic Treaty organizationNATO• Belgium, Britain, Canada, Denmark, France, Ice Land, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal and the US formed NATO.
• This organization is a system collective defence and each member states to defend each other in the case of an attack by the soviets.
• Fearful of NATO the soviets formed the Warsaw pact this included Albania, Bulgaria, Czechoslovakia, East Germany, Hungary, Poland, Romania and the Soviet Union.
Berlin Blockadeberlin bloakade• The Berlin Blockade was when the Soviet Union blocked off the western allies of post world war II Germany.
• Their goal was to get the western powers to allow the soviet side to start supplying Berlin, practically giving them control over the entire city.
• Instead the western allies organized an airlift to supply the people in Berlin, this airlift was a huge success and brought embarrassment to the Soviet Union.
“The Forgotten war” The Korean War• In 1950 communist North Korea and China decided to attack South Korea and the US.
• The north overran the south, then the US came to their aid pushing the north all the way to the northern most tip of Korea.
• North Korea then got help from the Chinese who pushed back the UN forces, the Chinese sent over half a million solider into north Korea.
• This became known as the longest retreat in US military history, they retreated almost 1000 miles.
“The Forgotten war” The Korean WarKorean war • Dwight D. Eisenhower was elected as president and went over to Korea to see what he could do to end the war.
• In July 1953 all sides where ready to sign an agreement to stop the bloodshed, the armistice was signed on July 27th.
Continental Alliances: NORAD and DEWNORAD and DEW line• NORAD stands for North American aerospace defence command.
• It provided aerospace warnings and defence for Canada and the untied states, in case of a soviet attack
• Dew stands for Distance Early Warning line; the DEW line was a system of radar stations in the artic region.
• The DEW line was used to detect incoming soviet bombers during the cold war.
UN Peacekeeping: The Suez Crisis and Pearson wins Nobel Prize• In 1948 UN made the new state of Israel, Arabs tried to destroy Israel to stop land gains, but the Jews defeated the Arabs and gained more land.
• Many of the world super powers Britain, France, US and the Soviet Union wanted this region.
• Nations took sides in the Arab VS Jews land dispute, the US supported Israel and the Soviet Union supported Iraq, Syria and Egypt.
• The Suez Canal in Egypt was an important waterway, and in the 1950’s the Egyptian leader took total control of the canal
UN Peacekeeping: The Suez Crisis and Pearson wins Nobel PrizeSuez Cannal• For France and Britain this meant loss of power and money, so France, Britain and Israel secretly made plans to take back the canal.
• When they attacked the canal the soviets threatened to come to Egypt’s aid.
• The solution to this problem was found by Leaster B Pearson (Canada’s Secretary of state and external affairs) his solution was to create the UN peacekeeping force.
• He was awarded the noble peace prize in 1957.
Sputnik and Canada’s Space ProgramSputnik• The Sputnik was a small satellite that was launched into the earths orbit by the soviets in 1957
• This sparked a space race between the soviets and the United States.
• Canada’s first satellite was launched in 1962 carrying STEM technology, which was originally created for military use.
Diefenbaker, Bomarc missiles and nuclear warheads in canada
- in 1958 Prime minister Diefenbakers conservative goverment agreed with the US to deploy antiair craft missles 56 missles deployed
- Missles had nuclear warhead, which caused a dispute on wether canada adopt nuclear warheads so the goverment did not accept. -when the the liberals returned to power the nuclaer warheads where acepted by prime minister Pearson.
Avro Arrow and its CancellationAvro ArrowThe avro arrow was an interceptor air craft that was being buit for canada.
Not long after its flight testing the avro arrow was canceled on febuary 20th 1959.
its cancellation sparked a long and bitter political debate.
The Cuban Missle Crisis-The cuban missle crisses was one of the major confrontations of the cold war, and is also is a moment when the cold war almost came to nuclear conflict.
-The soviets decided to build missle sites on cuba, to prevent any future invaision attempts.
-Finally the soviets came to an agreement with the US, the soviets would dimantle there missle sites and return them to the soviet union if in reurn the US would not invade Cuba.
Canada-Soviet Hockey SeriesHockey-soviet teams had dominanted for 10 years but this was the first time they where facing canadaian proffesionals.
-the last game was watched by the largest TV audiance on record
- this mean't more than just hockey it was a chance for the canadians to face the soviets
Vietnam War and Draft Dodgers in canada
- the vietnam war was an attempt to stop the spread communism -the US fought this war in the jungle against the well supplied Viet cong,they would set traps ambushes and escape in underground tunnels -the US had a hard time finding there enemy because they would hide in dense bush so they would use napalms to burn off the leafs. -during the war many americans who did not want to go fight move north into canada
The Fall of the Berlin Wall-the fall of the berlin wall happened almost as suddenly as it rised
-the east germany goverment made a anouncent saying that the borders where now open.
-after the berlin wall came down east and west germeny comined into a single germany on october 3rd 1990
The fall of the soviet union
- the soviet union was spending to much money on their military and where bankrupting theirselfs
- the soviet union seperated into fifteen seperate countries. -the US and the soviet union had been in a conflictsince the end of world war II. -this showed the triumph democaracy had over communism.