-
After considering more than 200 proposals, the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission selects Weston, Illinois, 30 miles west of Chicago, as the site for the new laboratory.
-
URA appoints Robert R. Wilson as Fermilab's first director.
-
Fermilab, originally named the National Accelerator Laboratory, was commissioned by the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission, under a bill signed by President Lyndon B. Johnson on November 21, 1967.
-
A flag raising ceremony marks the move of operations from Oak Brook to “The Village” on site.
-
15-foot liquid-hydrogen bubble chamber, world’s largest, operated for the first time.
-
On May 11, 1974, the laboratory was renamed in honor of 1938 Nobel Prize winner Enrico Fermi, one of the preeminent physicists of the atomic age. Fermi's widow, Laura Fermi, spoke at the dedication ceremonies.
-
Department of Energy authorizes Fermilab to build superconducting accelerator, later named the Tevatron.
-
First stochastic cooling of a beam at Fermilab.
-
Dedication of the Energy Doubler, also known as the Energy Saver and later named the Tevatron
-
First observation of proton-antiproton collisions by CDF collider detector at 1.6 TeV center-of-mass energy.
-
Stanley Livingston, former associate director of the laboratory, receives the Enrico Fermi award.
-
Tevatron sets world record for number of high-energy proton-antiproton particle collisions.
-
Leon Lederman receives the Enrico Fermi award.
-
Tevatron’s cryogenic cooling system is named International Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers
-
In July 2000, Fermilab experimenters announced the first direct observation of the tau neutrino, the last fundamental particle to be observed.