Edgar allan poe stamp 1

Edgar Allan Poe

By drodriq
  • Period: to

    The Life of Edgar Allan Poe

  • Birth

    Edgar Allan Poe was born in Boston. Poe was the son of the English-born actress Elizabeth Arnold Poe and David Poe, Jr., an actor from Baltimore.
  • Abandoned

    His father abandons the family.
  • Mother dies

    Edgar's mother, Elizabeth dies. Mr. and Mrs. John Allan adopt Edgar Poe.
  • Moves to England

    The family sailed to Britain in 1815, where Poe attended the grammar school in Irvine, Scotland (where John Allan was born).
  • Schools in England

    Poe rejoins the family in London in 1816. There he studied at a boarding school in Chelsea until summer 1817. He was subsequently entered at the Reverend John Bransby’s Manor House School at Stoke Newington.
  • Returns to U.S.

    Poe moved back with the Allans to Richmond, Virginia.
  • Athlete

    Edgar attends the academy of William Burke, and he succeeds in athletics.
  • Honor Guard

    Poe served as the lieutenant of the Richmond youth honor guard.
  • University of Virginia

    Poe registered at the one-year-old University of Virginia as "Edgar Poe" to study languages. During his time there, Poe became estranged from his foster father over gambling debts. Poe claimed that Allan had not given him sufficient money to register for classes, purchase texts, and procure and furnish a dormitory. Allan did send additional money and clothes, but Poe's debts increased. Poe gave up on the university after a year.
  • Drops out of the University

    Poe traveled to Boston sustaining himself with odd jobs as a clerk and newspaper writer.
  • Joins the Army

    Unable to support himself Poe enlisted in the United States Army as a private. Using the name "Edgar A. Perry", he claimed he was 22 years old even though he was 18.
  • Published first book

    Poe released his first book, a 40-page collection of poetry, "Tamerlane and Other Poems".
  • Foster mother dies

    Frances Allan, Poe's foster mother, died on February 28, 1829, and Poe visited the day after her burial.
  • Discharged from the Army

    Poe was discharged from the Army. Poe moved back to Baltimore for a time, to stay with his widowed aunt Maria Clemm, her daughter, Virginia Eliza Clemm (Poe's first cousin), his brother Henry, and his invalid grandmother Elizabeth Cairnes Poe.
  • Second book published

    Poe published his second book, Al Aaraaf, Tamerlane and Minor Poems, in Baltimore.
  • West Point Academy

    Poe traveled to West Point and matriculated as a cadet.
  • Disowned

    John Allan married his second wife, Louisa Patterson. The marriage, and bitter quarrels with Poe over the children born to Allan out of affairs, led to the foster father finally disowning Poe.
  • Court Martialed

    Poe was tried for gross neglect of duty and disobedience of orders for refusing to attend formations, classes, or church. Poe tactically pled not guilty to induce dismissal, knowing he would be found guilty.
  • Third book

    He left for New York in February 1831, and released a third volume of poems, simply titled Poems.
  • Baltimore

    He returned to Baltimore.
  • Begins career as a writer

    Poe submits a number of stories to magazines. They are rejected.
  • Receive award

    The Baltimore Saturday Visiter awarded Poe a prize in October 1833 for his short story "MS. Found in a Bottle"
  • Begs for help

    Poe sends a desperate letter to John Allan asking for help, and is ignored.
  • Death of John Allan

    John Allan dies and leaves Edgar nothing in his will.
  • Job as Editor

    Poe became assistant editor of the Southern Literary Messenger in Richmond, but was discharged within a few weeks for being caught drunk by his boss.
  • Marries cousin

    Returning to Baltimore, Poe secretly married Virginia, his cousin. He was 26 and she was 13, though she is listed on the marriage certificate as being 21.[
  • Remarries Virginia

    Poe had a second wedding ceremony in Richmond with Virginia Clemm, this time in public.
  • Wide reviews

    The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket was published and widely reviewed in 1838.
  • Assistant Editor of Burton's Gentleman's Magazine

    In the summer, Poe became assistant editor of Burton's Gentleman's Magazine. He published numerous articles, stories, and reviews, enhancing his reputation as a trenchant critic that he had established at the Southern Literary Messenger. Also in 1839, the collection Tales of the Grotesque and Arabesque was published in two volumes, though he made little money off of it and it received mixed reviews. Poe left Burton's after about a year.
  • Prospectus announced

    Poe published a prospectus announcing his intentions to start his own journal, The Stylus.
  • Virginia shows signs of illness

    One evening Virginia showed the first signs of consumption, now known as tuberculosis, Poe began to drink more heavily under the stress of Virginia's illness.
  • Seeks to work for the government

    Poe hoped to be appointed to the Custom House in Philadelphia with help from President Tyler's son Robert, an acquaintance of Poe's friend Frederick Thomas. Poe failed to show up for a meeting with Thomas to discuss the appointment in mid-September 1842, claiming to be sick, though Thomas believed he was drunk. Though he was promised an appointment, all positions were filled by others.
  • Retuns to New York

    Poe moves back to New York, where he worked briefly at the Evening Mirror before becoming editor of the Broadway Journal and, later, sole owner.
  • Publishes The Raven

    His poem "The Raven" appeared in the Evening Mirror and became a popular sensation. Though it made Poe a household name almost instantly, he was paid only $9 for its publication.
  • Wife Virginia dies

    Virginia dies on January 30, 1847.
  • Death

    On October 3, 1849, Poe was found on the streets of Baltimore delirious, "in great distress, and... in need of immediate assistance", according to the man who found him, Joseph W. Walker. He was taken to the Washington College Hospital, where he died on Sunday, October 7, 1849, at 5:00 in the morning.