Timeline for Great Bradley, Suffolk

Timeline created by gbwebmaster
In History
  • Jan 1, 1066

    Ulf was the Saxon Thane until the arrival of the Normans

  • Jan 1, 1071

    Robert de Tosny is given manor of Great Bradley

    Robert de Tosny is given manor of Great Bradley
    The Norman, Robert de Tosny came to England with William the Conqueror in 1066. In 1071 Edwin, Earl of Mercia, was assassinated and his lands distributed amongst William's followers. Robert de Tosny was granted the manor of Bradley and one third of the king's rents in Stafford. He went on to build Stafford Castle. Tosny is nowadays a little village, population 677, ten miles south of Rouen in the north of France
  • Aug 1, 1086

    Domesday Book records 14 villagers in Bradley (Great & Little)

    there were 14 villagers, 12 smallholders and 6 slaves. Smallholders were reasonably independent farmers, but still owed service to the lord.
  • Jan 1, 1150

    Norman part of Church is late 12th C

    Norman part of Church is late 12th C
    The central part of the church, form the 12th Century is the oldest remaining section. Although Norman, it was built on an earlier Anglo Saxon building
  • Jan 1, 1200

    Bigod family owned the manor of Bradley in the 13th C

    The Bigod family owned the manor of Bradley in the 13th C. The Bigods were noted for, amongst other things, being the the 1st Earls of Norfolk and owners of Framlingham Castle in Suffolk, taking part in the release of Richard the Lionheart and the signing of the Magna Carta
  • Jan 1, 1216

    -1272 Bigod Family own the Manor

    -1272 Bigod Family own the Manor
    1216-1272 Bigod Family In 1288 William Bigod was the owner.
  • Jan 1, 1305

    Sir John de Botetourt owns the Manor

  • Jan 1, 1310

    aprx. Tenor Bell in the Church cast.

    aprx. Tenor Bell in the Church cast.
  • May 2, 1311

    Robert Buteturt becomes Rector

  • Nov 13, 1316

    Roger Buteturt becomes Rector of St Mary's

  • Apr 7, 1318

    Johannes De Norton becomes Rector of St Mary's

  • Feb 9, 1332

    Johannes De Pakynton becomes Rector of St Mary's

  • Jan 10, 1344

    Ricardus Le Morter (or le Mercer) De Berningham becomes Rector

  • Jan 1, 1350

    Church Tower built in late 14th C

    Church Tower built in late 14th C
    The tower was built in the late 14th Century in the English Perpendicular style
  • Oct 23, 1350

    Thomas Gerond De Stratford becomes Rector of St Mary's

  • Oct 29, 1361

    Ricardus De Gretyngdon is Rector of St Mary's

    29
    October
    1361
  • Jan 1, 1380

    The Baptismal font is late 14th C

    The Baptismal font is late 14th C
  • Sep 1, 1391

    Johannes Hercos becomes Rector of St Mary's

  • Jan 1, 1400

    Bartholemew family own Great Bradley Manor

    The Bartholemew family were owners of Great Bradley Manor for over 100 years. Brooksby was Sheriff of Leicestershire in 1411 and again in 1420, and member of five parliaments between 1410 and 1435. The picture shows the family coat of arms
  • Oct 4, 1400

    Johannes Pacewode becomes Rector of St Mary's

  • Sep 10, 1404

    Tomas Philip becomes Rector of St Mary's

  • Feb 24, 1422

    Thomas Rydell becomes Rector of St Mary's

  • Jan 1, 1437

    Bartholomew Brooksby owned the manor

    Bartholomew Brooksby owned the manor
    The Broksby family remained for over 100 years
  • Mar 10, 1437

    Dominus Johannes Laceby made Rector of St Mary's

  • Jan 1, 1443

    Lady Margaret Beaufort born: owner of much of the land round Great Bradley

    Lady Margaret Beaufort born: owner of much of the land round Great Bradley
    She was mother of King Henry VII, born when she was just 13. She owned the land between East Green and the River. This land then passed over to St John's College in whose ownership it remained until recently. It is now in private ownership. The twin cottages on the Newmarket side of the village, called Str John's Cottages are a reminder of the past. She helped found Christ's College and St John's College in Cambridge. Lady Margaret Hall, the first women's college at Oxford University, was named
  • Jan 29, 1459

    Thomas Gardener made Rector of St Mary's

  • Mar 15, 1494

    Williemus Villers made Rector of St Mary's

  • Sep 5, 1494

    Dominus Johannes Baldwin made Rector of St Mary's

  • Dec 13, 1498

    Ricardus Brokisby made Rector of St Mary's

  • Jun 1, 1500

    Earliest Nave window in Church is 16th C

    Earliest Nave window in Church is 16th C
  • Jul 13, 1513

    Dominus Johannes Bancrofte made Rector of St Mary's

  • Oct 26, 1515

    Thomas Lobley made Rector of Great Bradley

  • Jan 1, 1525

    The brick church porch is Tudor (16th Century)

    The brick church porch is Tudor (16th Century)
  • Jan 1, 1540

    Treble Bell cast before this date

    Treble Bell cast before this date
    The treble bell bears no inscription, so its origins are unknown, but authorities claim that this is almost certainly a pre-Reformation bell (ie pre 1540) but no older than 1300 (according too one of the repairers). It weights over 5 hundredweight and is over 30 inches in diameter. The note it rings is C sharp
  • Sep 24, 1541

    Thomas Asheton made Rector of Great Bradley

  • Jan 1, 1550

    Church Tower modified extensively in 16th Century

    Church Tower modified extensively in 16th Century
  • Jan 1, 1552

    Sir Thomas Soames owns Great Bradley Manor

    Sir Thomas Soames owns Great Bradley Manor
    The Soames' owned Great Bradley manor in the 16th C. They also owned a house in Hatton Garden and land in London, and eventually had land and interests in Tobago. Thomas' son was to become Sir Stephen Soames, the Lord Mayor of London and Lord of the Staple, which means he sat on the Wool Sack. The family commissioned Vermuyden to prepare plans to drain the fens.
    The picture is of the monument dedicated to the Soames family in Little Thurlow church
  • Oct 1, 1558

    Robertus Williamson made Rector of St Mary's

  • Jan 1, 1576

    2nd church bell made in Bury St E

    2nd church bell made in Bury St E
    The second bell, according to Raven ('The Church Bells of Suffolk - 1890 edition') dates from 1576. It weighs over 6 hundredweight and is 33 inches in diameter. The note is B+. It has an inscription stating it was made in Bury St Edmunds by the Stefanyz [Stephen] Tonni workshop in in 1576
  • Jun 22, 1576

    Oliverus Phillippes made Rector of St Mary's

  • Bartholomew Adrian made Rector of St Mary's

  • -1627 Peyton family own the manor

  • Sir William Soames owns the manor

    1627 Sir William was a resident of Little Thurlow
  • Robert Billingsley made Rector of St Mary's

  • Thomas Cox made Rector of St Mary's

  • William Cyffard made Rector of St Mary's

  • approx. Soames Family own the manor

    approx. Soames Family own the manor
    Sir William's son, also William, put the manor in trust to his wife for her lifetime, and thence to other family members
  • 1681: earliest gravestone date

    1681: earliest gravestone date
  • approx. Anthony Turberville owns the manor

    The Turbervilles of Cookham in Berkshire held the Manor of Great Bradley, having inherited it through marriage into the Farmer family
  • Ichabod (sic) Tipping made Rector of St Mary's

  • John Cooper made Rector of St Mary's

  • Parish Records date from here

  • Great Bradley School begins

  • -1753 Charles Fox owns the manor

  • William Nash made Rector of St Mary's

  • -1884 Thomas Brand & family own the manor

    -1884 Thomas Brand & family own the manor
    The Brand family became Lords Dacre and later Viscounts Hampden.
  • Thomas Brand born, one time owner of Great Bradley Manor

    Thomas Brand born, one time owner of Great Bradley Manor
    The Brand family owned Great Bradley manor during the 18th and 19th Centuries. Thomas Brand was, at one time, the owner of Great Bradley Manor. He was an MP. His son, also Thomas Brand, became 20th Baron Dacre. Their descendents became the Viscounts Hampden two generations later. The picture shows Sir Henry Bouverie William Brand, 1st Viscount Hampden
  • Spencer Madan made Rector of St Mary's

  • Thomas Wythe made Rector of St Mary's

  • -1839 A (Post) Windmill is known to have existed on Bradley Hill

    St. John's College map dated 1793 as a Post Mill and was rebuilt as a Tower Mill in 1839 for the sum of £153. 4s. 2d.
  • Village Population is 395

    Village Population is 395
  • Village Pop.is 406 in 55 houses

    Village Pop.is 406 in 55 houses
  • 1815-1837 former Three Tunns run as a blacksmiths

    1815-1837 former Three Tunns run as a blacksmiths
    1815 Freehold of land acquired by Philip Frost, Blacksmith 1837 Philip Frost sold to William Chapman, Butcher
  • Village Pop is 487 in 89 houes

    Village Pop is 487 in 89 houes
  • Village Pop. is 527 in 89 houses

    Village Pop. is 527 in 89 houses
  • Three Tuns bought by Jenner's Brewery in Kedington

    Three Tuns bought by Jenner's Brewery in Kedington
  • William Samuel Parr Wilder made Rector

    William Samuel Parr Wilder  made Rector
  • -1865 William Chapman runs a butchers shop in former Three Tunns

    -1865 William Chapman runs a butchers shop in former Three Tunns
  • -1949 Tower Windmill built. Operated till 1908

    -1949 Tower Windmill built. Operated till 1908
    Post Mill and was rebuilt as a Tower Mill in 1839 for the sum of £153. 4s. 2d.
  • Village Population is 544

    Village Population is 544
  • John Bocking is landlord of The Fox until 1844

    John Bocking is landlord of The Fox until 1844
  • - 1855 William Paxman is landlord of The Crown

    - 1855 William Paxman is landlord of The Crown
    1842: The Crown Inn is known to have existed in 1842, for a Tithe Map of that date denotes the owner of "The Crown Public House Cottages and Pastures" as being William Paxman,
  • -1920 Thomas Brand, later Lord Dacre & Viscounts Hampden own the manor

    -1920 Thomas Brand, later Lord Dacre & Viscounts Hampden own the manor
  • 1844 - 1855 Willaim Barker is Landlord of The Fox

    1844 - 1855 Willaim Barker is Landlord of The Fox
    1844: William Barker (also a wheelwright)
  • Village Population is 542

    Village Population is 542
  • -1874 Samuel Collett is The Fox Landlord

    -1874 Samuel Collett is The Fox Landlord
    1855: Samuel Collett [whose gravestone, opposite, is near the south porch of the church.
  • -1874 Richard Fredick Paxman landlord of The Crown

    -1874 Richard Fredick Paxman landlord of The Crown
    1855: Richard Fredick Paxman was the landlord at least until 1874. (In 1861 the census records Richard to be 50 years old and living at he Crown with his wife Hester, aged 52; daughter Eliza, aged 18; father William aged 84 and Richard Frederick, grandson , aged 3)
  • First record of a Post Office in the Village

    First record of a Post Office in the Village
  • S.Botry Pigott made Rector of St Mary's

    S.Botry Pigott made Rector of St Mary's
  • 1865-1882 Chapman family, builders, own former Three Tuns

    1865-1882 Chapman family, builders, own former Three Tuns
  • J.T.Wilder made Rector of St Mary's

    J.T.Wilder made Rector of St Mary's
  • McM.Charles.G.Wilder made Rector of St Mary's

    McM.Charles.G.Wilder made Rector of St Mary's
  • -1888 John Day is The Fox Landlord

    -1888 John Day is The Fox Landlord
  • Grays of London made the church organ

    Grays of London made the church organ
    The organ wasn't moved to this chuirch until early in 20th C though
  • Current school building opens (now the village hall)

    Current school building opens (now the village hall)
    Current school building opens (now the village hall)
  • J.T.Wilder made Rector again

    J.T.Wilder  made Rector again
  • Village Population is 359

    Village Population is 359
  • -1833 John Champan runs Three Tunns as pub for first time

    -1833 John Champan runs Three Tunns as pub for first time
    1882 Fuller Chapman to John Price, Brewer (when it first became licensed property)
  • Nathan Gooch, the blind landlord of The Fox, born

    Nathan Gooch, the blind landlord of The Fox, born
    Nathan Gooch was the blind landlord of The Fox public house. Strangers, unaware of his disability, would be astounded to learn that he was blind, for he would serve them with their drinks, take their money and give them change with the confidence and assurance of a sighted person. His gravestone is in the Churchyard
  • Tho. Jenner brewery sells Three Tuns to Greene King

    Tho. Jenner brewery sells Three Tuns to Greene King
  • -1891 Ann Richardson is landlady of The Crown

    -1891 Ann Richardson is landlady of The Crown
    1887: Ann Richardson is shown as the landlord and the pub was bought by the Greene King with Kedington Brewery
  • Village Celebrates Victoria's Golden Jubiliee

    On Wednesday, 22nd June, the day was observed chiefly as a holiday. The number of parishioners being just 300, 280 met on the Square opposite the Fox Inn at a quarter before 3 o'clock, headed by the Rector, the Clerk and the band playing 'God Save the Queen', the rear being brought up by the Donors of the Feast. Those people marched to the Parish Churchyard where a short service, authorised by the Archbishop of Canterbury, was held, the Church being too Small to accommodate so many on such a hot
  • -1900 Richard Hayward is The Fox landlord

    -1900 Richard Hayward is The Fox landlord
  • - 1892 Christopher Richardson landlord of The Crown

    - 1892 Christopher Richardson landlord of The Crown
    1891: By now Christopher Richardson was landlord (it was known then as the Rose and Crown), 1892: Richard Hayward was shown as landlord
  • Village Population is 317

    Village Population is  317
  • Rev Burnard Wilder is Rector of Great bradley

    Rev Burnard Wilder is Rector of Great bradley
    Last of four brothers who were Rectors of the Parish. He served from 1892 - 1920. He was, without doubt, the greatest "character" of all the Rectors of our church. He is reputed to have had coins made inscribed "1 pint" and "1/2 pint". The story goes that if the male members of his congregation attended Church once a day they were given a1/2 pint token and, if twice a day, then they were given a 1 pint token. These tokens could be exchanged at the pub for the relative quantity of beer! The fami
  • - 1916 Richard Hayward is landlord at The Crown

    - 1916 Richard Hayward is landlord at The Crown
  • W.B.C.Wilder made Rector of St Mary's

    W.B.C.Wilder made Rector of St Mary's
  • Formation of Parish Council

    The Parish Council was formed under the Local Government Act 1894, and held its first meeting on 14th December 1894. The Reverend W. B. C. Wilder was appointed Chairman, a post he held for 38 years until his death in 1932.
  • 1900-1916 R B Jevons is The Fox landlord

    1900-1916 R B Jevons is The Fox landlord
  • Fred Templeman, famous jockey in Great Bradley

    Fred Templeman, famous jockey in Great Bradley
    Fred Templeman appears in the 1901 Census of Great Bradley. He is 9 years old and living with his sisters and recently widowed father in Fox Farm, next to the Fox Inn. He grew up to be a famous jockey and racehorse trainer. The family arrived in Great Bradley about 1889 and Fred left home for Lambourn, Berkshire, to begin his jockey's apprentice c.1904. He had his first ride in 1905, aged 13.
    Fred's greatest triumph as a jockey was winning the Derby in 1919 on Grand Parade in it's debut season
  • Village Population is 264

    Village Population is 264
  • Josiah Nice, Miller hanged himself

    Josiah Nice, Miller hanged himself
    In 1908, Jo Nice decided to have extensive renovations carried out on the mill, and for this he employed Hunts, the millwrights and General Engineers, of Soham. (Hunts were well known millwrights and they worked on most of the mills in this area from 1836 to 1954, when their business was sold). The renovations had almost been completed when a bad thunderstorm occurred, causing the miller and millwrights to take shelter in Mill House. A few minutes later, a flash of lightning struck the sails, an
  • Village Population is 247

    Village Population is 247
  • -1925 George Shore is The Fox landlord

    -1925 George Shore is The Fox landlord
  • -1925 Sophia Hayward is The Crown landlady

    -1925 Sophia Hayward is The Crown landlady
  • Silent Film released called The Great Bradley Mystery

    A black and white silent movie made in the USA. The plot involves an affair with a Mr Bradley (actor Edward Ellis) and his stenographer, Lola. When she becomes pregnant Bradley blames his business partner, Collier. Lola dies after having her baby, and not long after, Bradley is found dead. Collier said that he and Bradley were fighting, and Bradley pulled a gun. They struggled, the gun went off, and Bradley was killed.
  • Viscount Harpden sells The Fox to Greene King brewery

    Rt. Hon. Thomas Walter Viscount Harpden (Lord of the Manor) and the Rt. Hon. Katherine Mary Viscountess Hampden by Greene King in 1919.
  • Altar Window Installed in memory of son of the Rector

  • -1951 Charles Foster Ryder owned the manor

    Charles was the father of Baroness Ryder of Warsaw (1923-2000),formerly Sue Ryder, known for the care homes
  • Village Population is 215

    Village Population is 215
  • Sue Ryder, or Baroness Ryder of Warsaw, born

    Sue Ryder, or Baroness Ryder of Warsaw (1923-2000), is most well known for her care homes. Charles Foster Ryder was her father and he owned Great Bradley Hall. Her brother, Stephen, lived in Great Bradley Hall
  • 1925 - 1937 Rose Gooch is landlady of The Fox

  • - 1955 The Crown pub closes and is used as a post office & garage

    - 1955 The Crown pub closes and is used as a post office & garage
  • Rev Burnard Wilder died

    Rev Burnard Wilder died
    Last of four brothers who were Rectors of the Parish. He served from 1892 - 1920. He was, without doubt, the greatest "character" of all the Rectors of our church. He is reputed to have had coins made inscribed "1 pint" and "1/2 pint". The story goes that if the male members of his congregation attended Church once a day they were given a1/2 pint token and, if twice a day, then they were given a 1 pint token. These tokens could be exchanged at the pub for the relative quantity of beer! The fami
  • Village Population is 189

    Village Population is 189
  • P.H.E.Wilder made Rector of St Mary's

  • -1957 Nathan Gooch, The Fox landlord

    -1957 Nathan Gooch, The Fox landlord
    1937: Nathan Gooch Nathan Gooch is remembered today as being the blind landlord. Strangers, unaware of his disability, would be astounded to learn that he was blind, for he would serve them with their drinks, take their money and give them change with the confidence and assurance of a sighted person. His gravestone is in the Churchyard.
  • Village Celebrated King George V Silver Jubilee

    Village Celebrated King George V Silver Jubilee
  • Maria Woolstone Rowbottom dies

    Maria is recorded as having died, aged 90 at Great Bradley Rectory. She was widow of Major Lever Robert Rowbottom, former Wigan Coroner
  • ES Barrington Barnes made Rector of St Mary's

  • Great Bradley Stakes, 2m race at Newmarket

  • Great Bradley Stakes, a 1200m race at Newmarket

  • Parish Council Reformed after 15 years of Inactivity

    The Parish Council was re-formed in 1946, with the Reverend E. S. Barrington-Barnes as Chairman, but the minutes show that only two meetings were held.
  • Three Tuns pub closes

    Three Tuns pub closes
  • Windmill demolished after 40 years of no use

    Windmill demolished after 40 years of no use
  • -2003 (Richard) Stephen Ryder was owner of the manor

    (Richard) Stephen Ryder was owner of the manor
  • Village Population is 212

    Village Population is 212
  • L E West made Rector of St Mary's

  • Current Parish Council in current form meets

    R. S. Ryder was appointed Chairman in 1955, and held this post for the 40 years to 1995.
  • -1975. The Crown opens as PO (post office)

    -1975. The Crown opens as PO   (post office)
    In March 1953, Mr. and Mrs. Beavis bought the Crown House, and it was re-opened as a Post Office by Mrs. A.R. Beavis on 2nd October, 1965.
  • 1957-1981 Nathan Gooch Jnr is landlord of The Fox

    I wanted to inform you that Mr. Nathan Cecil Gooch (my father) took over "The Fox" from my grandfather " Nathan Gooch" in or around 1957. He and my mother, Violet Gooch ran this establishment until early 1967 when they retired. Unfortunately, 8 weeks after his retirement, my father died of a heart attack
  • Organ moved here from Walberswick (St Andrew's Church)

    Organ moved here from Walberswick    (St Andrew's Church)
  • Village Population is 230

    Village Population is 230
  • Ian Charnock made Rector of St Mary's

    Rev Ian Charnock, on his departure, Great Bradley Rectory sold
  • Rev Alfred Johnson made Rector of St Mary's

  • Building work starts on the Clarendale development

    Building work starts on the Clarendale development
    The new housing development, called Clarendale, is built between 1966 and 1968 on the old cricket square More on Clarendale
  • Village School closes after 200 years

    Village School closes after 200 years
  • Village Hall charity created to turn the school into a hall

    Village Hall charity created to turn the school into a hall
    The charity was created to generate funds to turn the old school building into the village hall
  • Rev Derek Hill, Priest in Charge of St Mary's

  • -1990 Crown House is a P0 (Post Office) & garage run by Tony Knight

    -1990 Crown House is a P0 (Post Office) & garage run by Tony Knight
    On 19th September 1976, Mr. and Mrs. Tony Knight took possession of the property, and Mrs. Knight became sub-postmistress. It had two petrol pumps for many years, the petrol having been changed from Esso to Bulldog in the late 1970s. These pumps, together with the shop, provided key facilities for the village. All are now gone.
  • Rev Dr Lesllie Francis made Rector of St Mary's

  • Dennis Pugh - last Landlord of The Fox with his wife Jean untill it closed

    Dennis Pugh - last Landlord of The Fox       with his wife Jean untill  it closed
    1986 David Pugh is Landlord of The Fox untill it closed
  • Repairs to the Church Bells

    Repairs to the Church Bells
    A major service and repair of the church bells was carried out Reort on Repais
  • Winner of Suffolk Best Kept Village, Novice Class

    Winner of Suffolk Best Kept Village, Novice Class
  • -2010: 1st Village Sign honours Charles & Di

    -2010: 1st Village Sign                honours Charles & Di
  • Rev Alan Beardsmore made Rector

  • Winner Suffolk Best Kept Village, Novice Class

    Winner Suffolk Best Kept Village, Novice Class
  • The Fox pub, the last in the village, closed

    The Fox pub, the last in the village, closed
  • Saxonsprings High Society moves here (The Apso champion dog)

    Saxonsprings High Society moves  here     (The  Apso champion dog)
    Saxonsprings High Society was a Lhasa Apso champion, pictured here winning Best-in-Show at the Driffield Championship Show in 1993, out of an entry of 9,010 dogs! She is one of the few Lhasas to win Best-in-Show. at an all breeds Championship show. Daughter of Champion Saxonsprings Hackensack (the only Lhasa to have ever won Best-In-Show, at Crufts).
    She lived in Great Bradley for most of her 16 years from 1987 - 2004. Bred by the late Jean Blyth, she came to the village aged just 8 weeks old
  • Rev John Wardle made Rector of St Mary's

  • Rev Edmund Betts, Haverhill Team Vicar is Rector of St Mary's

  • Village Sports Day

    Village Sports Day
    Click here for pictures of the event</a>http://greatbradley.weebly.com/sports-day-1990.html
  • There were 125 houses in the village

    There were 125 houses in the village
  • Tony Knight becomes Chair of Parish Council to 2007

  • Rev John Williams is Rector of St Mary's

    In 1997 St Mary's became part of the Stourhead Benefice
  • There were 127 houses in the village

    There were 127 houses in the village
  • -1998 Fox Green is built

    -1998 Fox Green is built
    In June 1988, Messrs. R. S. and C. W. C. Ryder of Great Bradley Farms announced the intention to undertake a development at Fox Farm, and to relocate the farming business away from the centre of the village. It was proposed that 25 houses would be built at Fox Farm, and a separate 3.5 acre recreation ground adjacent to the development would be made available. Villagers were invited to a meeting in the Village Hall on 13th June 1988, at which an outline of the scheme was shown. Local press report
  • Rev John Eley is Rector of St Mary's

    Rev John Eley is Rector of St Mary's
  • There were 154 houses in the village

    There were 154 houses in the village
  • Plan to create Reservoir at Great Bradley

    Plan to create Reservoir at Great Bradley
  • Village website Mk1 launched

    Village website Mk1 launched
    First Website for the Village created by Rowan
  • to Present: Charles Ryder is owner of the manor

    to Present: Charles Ryder  is owner of the manor
    Charles is the son of Stephen
  • Village Website MK2 launched

    Village Website MK2 launched
    New village web site created
  • There were 156 houses in the village

    There were 156 houses in the village
  • Planting of the Grove

    Planting of the Grove
    More...A 'grove' of native tree speciaes was planted at the far end of the recreation ground in Jan 2005. The Stour Valley Trust was consulted on the appropriateness of species to be included and about 225 small trees (or whips) and 25 larger saplings were planted out
  • R Sylvester-Bradley is PC Chair

    R Sylvester-Bradley is PC Chair
    R Sylvester-Bradley is Parish Council Chair
  • Second Village Sign erected

    Second Village Sign erected
  • Play Equipment on the Rec Ground

    Play Equipment on the Rec Ground
    Childrens Play Equipment was installed on the Recreation Ground after local fundraising took place and the drainage to the area was improved. The equipement included swings, basket ball hoop, a slide, a 'roundabout', sit-in train and an obstacle course
  • Village Website Mk3 launched

    Village Website Mk3 launched
    3rd version of Village website goes live. This time hosted byWeebly
  • Flood knocks out Village Hall

    Flood knocks out Village Hall
    A burst pipe flooded the village hall, which meant it was out of action for at least 6 months
  • Rev Derek Hollis appointed Vicar of St Mary's

    Rev Derek Hollis appointed Vicar of St Mary's
    List of RectorsRev Hollis is appointed vicar of all the churches in the Stourhead Benefice
  • Work on new water pipeline begins

    Work on new water pipeline begins
    Essex and Suffolk Water have a proposal called the Abberton Reservoir Scheme in place. The overall aim of the Abberton Reservoir Scheme is to enlarge the capacity of the reservoir by 60%, and to provide enough water to fill it for future customer supply. Of interest to Great Bradley is the fact that the water that currently flows down the Kirtling Brook and in to the Stour, will be able to go in a new 15km pipeline from Kirtling to Wixoe instead. The aim of this is to ensure that enough water ca
  • Village Hall re-opens after flood

    Village Hall re-opens after flood
    The village hall was re-opened after a disasterous flood in January 2011. The whole of the floor had to be relaid
  • Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebration

    Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebration
    The villlage celebrated the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II with a series of events including a hog roast, childrens tea party, unveiling of a new flagpole and games on the recreation area.
  • Water Pipeline along River Stour is completed

    Water Pipeline along River Stour is completed
    The River Stour pipeline from Kedington to Wixoe is completed with remarkably little fuss
  • Streetlights are turned off at midnight

    Streetlights are turned off at midnight
    Map of Streetlights in Gt BradleyAll streetlights in the village controlled by the County Council will be switched off from 12.00 midnight to 5.30 am. Some lights are controlled by the district council, These are not affected. ​
  • Simon Kiddy appointed Chair of the Parish Council

  • Interpretation Boards erected by River

    Interpretation Boards erected by River
    An interpretation board was erected by Great Bradley Bridge near the river. Over the last months members of the Parish Council have designed an interpretation panel for the village. This has been put together to tell both the increasing numbers of walkers, and villagers, about the surrounding area and the walks available. It includes text, a map and several pictures of our beautiful surroundings. The panel has been funded in part by Essex and Suffolk Water Abberton Scheme Neighbourhood Fund
  • Stuart Wilson takes over as editor of The Bugle from Sue Sylvester-Bradley & Helen Smith

  • Wedding in St Mary's

    Wedding in St Mary's
    Wedding of Meg and Charlie. This was the first wedding in the church for a long time
  • WWI Centenary Commemoration

    WWI Centenary Commemoration
    An exhibition was held at the Village Hall on Friday 8th August. There were photo displays and video footage, as well as lots of information; and in addition there was also be a number of general interest items and pictures from the village archives
  • Willow Sculpture added to Recreation Ground

    Willow Sculpture added to Recreation Ground
    A living willow sculpture was planted on the recreation ground near the play area
  • Village Facebook group created

    Village Facebook group created
    A Facebook group was created for the village. Within a year there were 150 members
  • Allotments Created

    Allotments Created
    Allotments were created on Paxman's Field off Matthews Lane, for the benefit of residents
  • Big Lunch

    Big Lunch
    The First Big Lunch event was held on the Recreation Ground. Rotten weather - but good fun
  • Open Gardens

    Open Gardens
    The first Open Gardens event was held in Great Bradley. It raised funds for the village hall.
  • Super fast broadband arrived in the village

    Super fast broadband arrived in the village
    Broadband speeds went up from a mximum of 4Mb/s to 65Mb/s
  • River Stour Improvements

    River Stour Improvements
    Conservation Plan
    installation of woody debris bunds (sourced from woods here at Great Bradley) in about 70 different places along the river from Water Lane to Little Bradley bridge. The woody debris will act as flow deflectors creating, over time, more complex river habitats and markedly improving the ecology of the river. This forms part of a wider conservation plan for the Gt Bradley estate
  • New Post for Village Sign

    New Post for Village Sign
  • Defibulator Installed at Village Hall

    Defibulator Installed at Village Hall
    A Defibulator was Installed on the outside wall of the Village Hall and one of the village residents provided instruction on its use
  • Portable Pint

    Portable Pint
    As the village has no pub, a Portable pub was hired out once a month over the summer season and it proved a big hit!
  • Church Tower Open

    Church Tower Open
    The Church Tower was open during the annual village fete
  • On line Village Archive Created

    On line Village Archive Created
    The village archive collection started to be digitised and items placed on a shared server
  • 2nd Big Lunch

    2nd Big Lunch
    Better weather this time!
  • Young Artists Event

    The village Art Group passed on their skills to young people in the village
  • New House at Pond House

    New House at Pond House
    Some land at Pond House was sold off to build 'Bradley House', the first new house in the village for some years
  • New Housebeing built at Sheppys in Matthews Lane

    New Housebeing built at Sheppys in Matthews Lane