Walker evans

Walker Evans

  • Birth Date

    Birth Date
    Walker Evans was born on November 3, 1903 in St. Louis, Missouri.
  • Interest in Photography

    Interest in Photography
    As a small child Walker Evans started painting and coloring. He also collecting picture postcards and he took snapshots of his family with a small kodak camera.
  • College Career

    College Career
    When he graduated from highschool he went to Williams college and dropped out a year later. He then moved to New York finding work wherever he could. He actually started writing and started writing short stories.
  • Interest In Photography

    Interest In Photography
    After writing for 2 years he decided to take photography on as a hobby.
  • Government Photography Job

    Government Photography Job
    He accepted a job from the U.S. Department of the Interior to photograph a government built community of unemployed coal miners in West Virginia.
  • Traveling Photography

    Traveling Photography
    Walker Evans left to go to the south with a friend who was writing a story about the tenant farmers. Evans took this as a opportunity to photograph the farmers for a collection called Let Us Now Praise Famous Men.
  • Museum of Modern Art

    Museum of Modern Art
    This museum opened an American Photographs exhibit featuring Evans' first decade of photos.
  • Period: to

    New York City Subway Photography

    Evans went to New York to take pictures of the Subways in New York.
  • Published Subway Photos

    Published Subway Photos
    The Subway pictures were not published until 1966. They were published in the book called "Many Are Called."
  • New Camera

    New Camera
    Evans began to shoot with a Polaroid SX-70 camera. This camera allowed him to go back to themes he wanted to continue using such as signs, posters, and letters.
  • Sickness

    Walker Evans became horribly sick. It is said that he could barely hold a small polaroid SX-70 camera.
  • Death Date

    Death Date
    Walker Evans Passed away on April 10, 1975 at the Yale New-Haven Hospital in Conneticut from Brain hemorrhage.