- Came to practice religous reasons, but didn't want to break away from the Church on England like the pilgrims.
- They wanted to make the church more pure, so they called themselves the Puritans.
- They built Salem, a village on Massachusetts bay.
John Winthrop Arrives
- John Windrop leads the second group of Puritans to Massachusetts Bay Colony.
- Winthrop's group named their settlement Boston, after a town in England.
- John Winthrop was elected govener of the Massachusetts Bay Colony.
Maryland is founded
Disagreements with chrch and goverment in Massachusetts
- Annie Hutchinson and Roger Williams were two people who thought that the Puritas should be separate from the colony's goverment.
- The Puritans leaders voted to expel Williams Massachusetts.
Conneticut is founded
The Puritans made Hardvard college, now known as Hardvard University
- First college in the English colonies.
Rhode Island is founded
Anne Hitchinson is forced to leave Massachusetts
- Both Anne Hutchinson and William started settlements that joined to form the Rhode Island Colony.
Delaware is founded
- Maryland passed the tolerencce act. This act gave freesom of religons to all the Christians.
New York is founded
New Jersey is founded
King Phillip War
- Disagreement over land led to war between the colonist and Native Americans.
- Metacomet or King Phillip, the leader of the Wampanog, united many tribes to fight against the colonist.
- Hundreds of colonist and thousands of Native Americans, Metacomet where killed.
Pennsylvania is founded
- William Penn, an English Quaker, got approval to start a colony. He named it pennsylvania.
- He also became the owner of Delaware.
- Penn wrote the frame of goverment of Pennsylvania. It gave people freesom of speech, freedom of religion, and the right to a trial by jury.
- Trading Ships carrying goods and raw materials also carried enslaved people from central Africa.
- Middle Passage - Millions of enslaved Africans were placed on ships and forced to travel across the Alantic Ocean form Africa to the English colonies.
North and South Carolina
Carolina was split into two colonies - North and south Carolinas
- New religious movement begins. It awakened, or renewed many people's intrest in religion.
- Poor people, women, enslaved people even started taking part in religous gatherings.
Georgia is founded
- Fort Mose was the first free African settlement in North america.
- Some were set free by their owners, others bought their freedom.